reader

Tourism fee to help insure foreigners

From Bangkok Post

The National Tourism Policy Committee has approved the proposed guidelines for the collection of a 300-baht tourism fee from each international visitor for the management of local tourist destinations.

The money will also be used to provide insurance benefits to international tourists visiting the country.

Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn said each foreign visitor will be charged US$10 (300 baht) per visit. The details of the fee collection will be announced in the Royal Gazette once the policy has taken effect.

According to Mr Phiphat, Thailand expects to receive some 10 million visitors this year.

He said the merit of the 300-baht tourism fee is that foreign tourists who fall sick or are injured will be taken care of and given adequate medical care.

The ministry will have to discuss the details with the Finance Ministry and the Office of Insurance Commission.

Of the 300-baht fee, 34 baht is expected to be used for the insurance coverage, Mr Phiphat said.

The fee collection is in line with the revised National Tourism Policy Act, which authorises the ministry to impose a tourism fee for use in developing local destinations and providing insurance coverage to foreign tourists.

Tourism permanent secretary Chote Trachu on Thursday said the fee collection was initially due to begin last year, but it was put on hold due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

He said the National Tourism Policy Committee has assessed the situation and agreed the tourism fee collection should go ahead this year.

According to the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), the country had been forecast to close last year with merely 6.7 million international tourists -- not much more than the number prior to last year's outbreak of Covid-19 -- despite government attempts to activate entry schemes for foreigners via Special Tourist Visas (STVs).

With a second wave of outbreaks gripping many countries around the world, particularly during the winter months, triggering new rounds of lockdowns, Thailand is expected to wait longer -- until the second half of this year -- to see more visitors file back into the kingdom and revive the ailing industry.

I'd rather not queue to pay this, so adding it to the air fare is preferable.

Although, there is argument that taxes should be made visible.

Finally, how much medical insurance will this really provide for that modest sum of money ?   If it's minimal coverage at state hospitals, I'm not interested.    That effectively means I'm contributing to insure people too feckless to buy their own insurance, which I'd rather not do.   If they can afford to fly to Thailand, they can get their own insurance.

Finally, some insurance policies have terms saying they won't pay claims for items covered by another policy.  So if Thailand introduces "another policy" it may complicate matters with your own insurer.

This seems another typically ill thought through policy by administrators who have little clue about insurance. What about those who are fully insured with travel policies or home insurance policies with worldwide cover? Or farang who live here and already have local cover?

As z909 points out, 34 baht per person is peanuts. It certainly does not cover even one doctor's visit in a public hospital. When tourism gets back to the 30 million plus level, I assume - although that is always a dangerous thought process in Thailand - this is for those not covered by their own policies. We know from newspaper reports about a year or so ago that tourists' unpaid medical bills accounted for quite a substantial sum. A lump sum of 1 billion baht in a tourist medical account would probably go a long way to cover these.

Then there is the matter of how this 300 baht will be paid. Will every tourist be expected to bring $10 in cash? I doubt if that amount in Brazilian real will find much favour. Having to queue to pay it at a special counter prior to Immigration will just add to the existing chaos of getting into the country. 

presumably it would be added to the airfare, of course shown and made transparent in the "taxes & fees" section of the airfare breakdown. That has existed forever and also includes the airport departure charge, which in the past was indeed inconveniently payable in cash at a dedicated counter. I see nothing wrong with that. 

As for the insurance, yes traveler may already have insurance. That maybe most true for western travelers like most members here, but i seriously doubt Asian ones would have it. Same for the infamous backpacker....

34 Baht sounds like nothing, but the vast majority of the 30+ million tourists we once had and may have again will never have any need for medical services in their short stay. So for the minuscule portion that does those 34 Baht may go a long way to buy enough coverage.

As for the remainder of the fee: in principle it's a good thing if it goes to the right uses, such as tourist infrastructure, keeping beaches and national parks clean, etc etc. However, this being Thailand, that's a bit IF.... A non-negligible portion will probably disappear in some pockets.... But it's a start.