Guest sydneyboy

Tarntawan Hotel Bangkok

Guest sydneyboy

Has anyone stayed at the Tarntawan lately? Can anyone give an opinion on the state of the rooms and bathrooms pre and post renovation? I asked this question on another website some months ago and got a rather mixed and indecisive response. Any comments appreciated.

I stayed there on two occassions on my last visit in October2006, 3 days each at the start and end of my trip. I can only give information on the 3rd floor rooms as I always request and get a room on this floor, which along with the rest of the 3rd floor rooms, have been refurbished. They look really nice, with quality furniture and large beds. The bathrooms are excellent with powerful shower and in vg condition.The TV is large and new and can take fittings for a portable dvd player. I must admit that I really enjoyed my stay there. I booked room 312 which is a front facing room looking right through to Suriwong road. If you request a particular room or floor well in advance of your stay, they will usually try and accomodate you.But you do need to book as far in advance as possible as they are always so busy. In fact on my last 2 nights they were very busy and asked if i would upgrade for free to a suite for these nights, which i did and suite 444 was lovely.

Guest sydneyboy

Thank you Alaan, very much appreciated. I have stayed at the Tarntawan about 6 times pre renovation. The location and service is excellent but I found the rooms getting rather shabby. I have always requested a front room. A question. How did the suite compare with the front facing standard room? Did it have any aspect or at least sun? I know you have got to be careful there as some of the rooms face a brick wall.

Guest ear wig

Can you tell us what you pay.

Like many 3 or 4 star type hotels some of the rooms need attention and some are up to standard.

The Tarntawan is one of the Hotels where you have to barta for a decent Price or they will charge you a few Thousand of more, from 2500 baht up, normal price now, there again The Tower Inn http://www.towerinnbangkok.com (Unico Grande its called now) round the corner on Silom, is the same with bartaing but far less exspensive from 1600 I pay for executive room. most comfortable beds in Thailand. by the way.

http://www.tarntawan.com/

I would stay in the 1 bedroom suite at La Residence on Sauriwongse Road, I pay for suite 5, 2800 baht size of three rooms. always serach for a good agent rake rate prices advertized can always be some times 1/3 to 1/2 cheaper.I like it because there is a Sofa Bed in the Lounge where my house boy use to sleep and the Bedroom had TV CD player also and all you need to make you feel home from home. dont bother with the standard rooms not worth the money, but suites are fabulous.

http://www.laresidencebangkok.com/

Any one stayed at the Plaza

http://www.bangkok.com/plaza-hotel-bangkok/

I stayed at Tarntawan for 3 days the beginning of Nov '06. I guess I was in one of the refurbished rooms because it was no longer "shabby". There have been no major changes and you'll still recognize the place but its been "freshened up" a bit.

I would not recommend a back room right now. They were just starting a new addition to the hospital behind the hotel when i was there and construction is probably in full swing right now. They start work at 8am so if you are a light or late sleeper beware.

With regard to the Tarntawan suite versus double room, in my opinion the suite is just not worth the difference in price. If you intend to have more than one guest or friends visit, then yes, the suite is very convenient as it has a large,separate very nice sitting area (with dvd/cd player) off of which is a small corridor which houses the wardrobe and mini-bar and gives access to the bathroom and then leads through to the bedroom area which is laid out in the same way as the 3rd floor rooms but slighly smaller.As far as the view is concerned,suite 444 had a back view which looked onto an area virtually right outside the window where a thai family prepared food, clothing etc ..I'm not sure if it was a makeshift living or working area, so the suite would'nt be worth it for the view. To be honest i find the standard deluxe rooms on the 3rd floor more than adequate for me and my friend, I would'nt consider reserving a suite. (free upgrade yes)

With regard to the standard deluxe room price, I always ask them to quote best rate when I enquire,usually Bt2300-Bt2400 which is around the internet rate, I never stay in the Tarntawan long enough (1-3 days each visit) to feel jusified about pushing for a much cheaper rate, and anyway they are so busy I doubt if they feel they need to give one.

What I will say with regards to the Tarntawan is this,I know there are cheaper/other equally priced, and maybe just as nice hotels in the si-lom/suriwong area, but for me, I visit Thailand about every 3-4 months and as I am still working, I visit for a holiday/rest/battery re-charge and I treat every day of a 3 week visit as precious. It is a long way to come from the uk to have a room problem,or anything unnecessarily stressful to deal with,so in my circumstances, the price reflects their consistancy (I have stayed there 25-30 times in the 8 years I have been coming to Thailand) the fact I have always had a hassle free stay, that the ambiance of the place is very relaxing, it is mostly gay so no concern about str8 tour groups milling about making the place feel uncomfortable, and also i find that any guys I meet and want to take back, like the place too, and feel relaxed as they are well treated by the reception and service staff, which means I enjoy my time with them even more.By the way, I have tried other places in the area when I have had a last minute change of plan, but did'nt like them,so I always try the Tarntawan first.Sorry about the length of the reply.

Guest buaseng

--- the price reflects their consistancy (I have stayed there 25-30 times in the 8 years I have been coming to Thailand) the fact I have always had a hassle free stay, that the ambiance of the place is very relaxing, it is mostly gay so no concern about str8 tour groups milling about making the place feel uncomfortable, and also i find that any guys I meet and want to take back, like the place too, and feel relaxed as they are well treated by the reception and service staff, which means I enjoy my time with them even more.By the way, I have tried other places in the area when I have had a last minute change of plan, but did'nt like them,so I always try the Tarntawan first.

I concur totally with Allan's sentiments above. I have stayed there at least a dozen times and the Tarntawan is the only place to stay. There are cheaper hotels in the area but they do not even begin to compare with the Tarntawan. There are also more expensive hotels but why pay a couple of thousand baht a night more when the Tarntawan fits the bill exactly, ( unless of course you wish to flaunt your wealth or waste money needlessly).

At 2300 Baht per night including breakfast (discounted rate for Le Cafe Royale/Ambience guests) it is excellent value for money.

In addition to all the points in favour in Alaan's post, the location right next to Soi Twilight/Patpong/Silom 4 adds to the attraction of staying at the Tarntawan.

We agree with all the positive things said about the Tarntawan Place. We stayed there for most of the month of December last year and into January. You get a discount for long stays.

The ambiance and especially all the staff make this THE place to stay in Bangkok. Have stayed there many many times and prefer a high floor which with early booking they always manage to provide. Knowing about the BCH additions going on behind the Hotel we were somewhat concerned about noise but although they did start early (7:30am) and work VERY late some nights it posed no real problems, being early risers. Actually it was fun to watch them at work when in the room during the day. The rooms are fine and the housekeeping impeccable. Recommend rooms 709, 711, 811 -( if you want doubles with twin beds! No twin bed doubles facing Suriwong)

These do not have connecting doors which can be a nuisance if you have noisy neighbours!

Mike and Lucas host an open bar cocktail party every Thursday evening, where you can meet some very pleasant guests and as others have said you are very close to all the action - if that's your thing.

It's home away from home for us!

Guest splash4

Has anyone stayed at the Tarntawan lately? Can anyone give an opinion on the state of the rooms and bathrooms pre and post renovation? I asked this question on another website some months ago and got a rather mixed and indecisive response. Any comments appreciated.

Two weeks ago I started my first visit to Thailand with a night at LaResidence because I arrived a day early and could not find another room. Absolutely terrible experience. Quoted 1,200 baht but charged 2,000 plus tax for a very cheap flophouse style room that felt dirty. Next night started my three nights at Tarntawan.

I found Tarntawan to be heaven. I was in 705 and although the hospital construction was going on the noise did not disturb the room. Service was a delight. Amenities were great. The wonderful elevator security man always started the day nicely for me with his famous smile and WY when I appeared. Breakfast was good, and to find it was complimentary was a nice perk. The staff treated my nightly parade of Thai friends with respect. Boys were always happy when they knew we were staying at the Tarntawan.

I cannot say enough good things about the hotel. I just regret I did not plan more time there before heading to Pattaya. Location is great with the proximity to the 'boy bars' just right. I had just come from a good stay at a 5 Star hotel in DaNang, Vietnam and a 4 Star in Saigon. Needless to say, the Tarntawan exceeded all my expectations and if I were giving Stars they would get 10.

Also, the Thursday reception allowed me to get info from other quests as well as a couple drinks on the house. Met the owners etc. Business cards given to me at check with my name printed as a Resident was very nice. As I was getting settled in the room the door bell announced delivery of a tray containing small orchids and a glass of iced Lemon Grass tea. How many 5-stars provide that? Have I said enough. I will always stay at Tarntawan on future visits.

I am in the Tarntawan computer room right now as I type this!!

I was allocated a room at the back overlooking the building site and the constant hammering,at 4 pm, was intollerable. I immediately asked for another room and was given one on the 3rd floor overlooking the front courtyard. It had a larger bed and was, ii assume one of the upgraded ones.No problem at all changing rooms so, unless you want to be up at 7.30,..... beware!!

I read somewhere to quote Friends of Dicks Cafe and ask for their discount. This instanly reduced the rate to 2150 Bt per night.

There are one or two sight annoyances. One is the free computer room. There is a polite sign saying to limit yourself to 20 mins. Some disregard this...so selfish at busy times. Secondly on one of the computers (there are only two) they keyborad is so worn that a lot of the keys are illegible. That and the Thai lettering makes for endless hours of fun!

Overall would never dream of staying anywhere else...

Gerefan

The "business centre" was also very smoky when I was there. Luckily the wireless internet is pretty good. A little slow at times, but at least it's free. I even used Tarntawan's wireless network when I was staying around the corner at Siam Heritage for several nights. Now that is a beautiful hotel. But they enforce their no unregistered guests policy very strictly and they make you pay for an internet connection. Since I had stayed a week at Tarntawan I didn't feel too guilty about using their service.

Guest pete1969

I tend to think the Tartawan is overpriced for what one gets. I have not yet stayed in an upgraded room although I have stayed in a suite on two occassions. The rooms are just okay, the lift is slow, the hallways are a bit shabby, the lobby is small, the Internet (while free) is very slow, the view and noise are not good at all, and there is only one small lobby restaurant and no pool or sauna facilities.

I can pay the same price (or often less if getting a good Internet rate) and stay at Silom Sofitel which has a beautiful lobby and nice restaurants (with free breakfast), a great sauna/fitness area, a pool, beautiful rooms, nice views, and more. Plus, I've never had a joiner issue there.

I can pay A LOT less (about 800 baht per night) and stay at Malaysia and have a room of almost the same quality with a pool, cheap massage, BKK's best late night cruising in the 24 hour restaurant, and very quick access to Babylon.

Tartawan is good for being within walking distance of many of the bars and being all gay. They also have good service. However, IMO, there is much better quality at the same price, and almost the same quality at much lower prices. Tartawan thrives by being a gay hotel in the heart of the gay area. I think their prices are inflated due to this.

Pete

Guest thrillbill8

I stay in the area quite a lot and find the Tarntawan expensive unless I NEED to stay in something very nice...but since I am there on weekends for the night life and shop during the day, I am only in my hotel when sleeping... The Plaza Hotel down Surawongse runs around 1200 baht. The rooms are usually large and clean --but dated. There is also a small pool but small. The price also includes breakfast (a void their cold, greasy omlets). Then there is the Suragwongse Hotel back a soi off Surawongse, it has three "classes" of rooms which includes the newly remodled deluxe rooms for about 1600baht(the new bathrooms still have the showers that flood the entire floor -DUH). The older rooms reek of cigarette smoke. One hotel I like and hate at the same time (and is really over priced) is the 'Silom Regent Hotel which is in back of "Bug and Bee"restaurant on "soi Freeman" (down from Richards). I like it because of being so close to the Sala Daeng sky train station and DJ's and soi 4.The rooms with out windows are around 1200 baht ...but sometimes the water heater doesn't work and since the hallway floor is granite, the hallways echoes everyones move and conversation (bad for late morning sleeping. There is the remodeled ROSE Hotel which I think is close to 2000 baht now. Of course the Pinnacle Hotel is a good price and has a great breakfast, close to the "B".

Guest sydneyboy

Thank you for your helpful responses, very much appreciated. Opinions differ about the Tarntawan. I have stayed there about 6 times I found the location and service excellent but was finding the decor leaving something to be desired. I could never understand comments that the hotel was expensive, I have found it , all things considered, excellent value.

Fedssocr referred to the Siam Heritage. I stayed there about 2 years ago just after it opened. The decor was very nice bordering on luxurious. As for the service it reminded me of that wonderful 1970's British comedy series "Fawltey Towers". My toilet overflowed 3 times flooding the bathroom, my key card failed to operate a number of times denying me access to my room.I was there when the tsunami hit Thailand (which of course did not effect Bangkok but that is not the point) and my elderly mother had to ring twice before a message was finally given to me about 3 days after her original call and the English language skills of the staff were below average. In fairness they appeared to be trying, like Basil Fawltey.

In fairness they appeared to be trying, like Basil Fawltey.

At least they weren't trying to be like Manuel (who I think of as the predecessor to Borat).

I think hotels are like just about everything else, in that some people are going to like them and some are not. I've stayed in the Tarntawan Place and I think it's a wonderful hotel and would highly recommend it because it's a nice place, excellent location, attentive staff, and the fact that it caters to the gay community.

When I go to Bangkok, I almost always stay at the Pinnacle. The rooms are usually quite nice, just as good as anything else you'll find in Bangkok unless you are looking for luxury accommodations. The hotel is gay friendly. It's an easy walk to the nearest MRT subway station. Their smoking rooms are on floors completely separate from the non-smoking rooms. The staff is friendly and helpful. It's a 35 baht taxi ride to the Silom-Suriwong-Patpong area gay scene. It's within easy walking distance (or a two minute motorcycle taxi ride) to the Babylon Sauna. There are exchange banks and ATM's less than a block from the hotel. It's very easy to get to and from if you're driving a car. Best of all is the price. If you book through Jimmy, the current price is 1170 baht per night for their deluxe rooms, about US $30 less per night than the above mentioned hotels. Breakfast is included in their price, but in my opinion their breakfast buffet is just like most Bangkok breakfast buffets . . . lousy.

Guest thrillbill8

At least they weren't trying to be like Manuel (who I think of as the predecessor to Borat).

I think hotels are like just about everything else, in that some people are going to like them and some are not. I've stayed in the Tarntawan Place and I think it's a wonderful hotel and would highly recommend it because it's a nice place, excellent location, attentive staff, and the fact that it caters to the gay community.

When I go to Bangkok, I almost always stay at the Pinnacle. The rooms are usually quite nice, just as good as anything else you'll find in Bangkok unless you are looking for luxury accommodations. The hotel is gay friendly. It's an easy walk to the nearest MRT subway station. Their smoking rooms are on floors completely separate from the non-smoking rooms. The staff is friendly and helpful. It's a 35 baht taxi ride to the Silom-Suriwong-Patpong area gay scene. It's within easy walking distance (or a two minute motorcycle taxi ride) to the Babylon Sauna. There are exchange banks and ATM's less than a block from the hotel. It's very easy to get to and from if you're driving a car. Best of all is the price. If you book through Jimmy, the current price is 1170 baht per night for their deluxe rooms, about US $30 less per night than the above mentioned hotels. Breakfast is included in their price, but in my opinion their breakfast buffet is just like most Bangkok breakfast buffets . . . lousy.

How do you contact JIMMY to get the better rate?