Guest pete1969

What grocery items do you miss from home?

Guest pete1969

In the thread on the expansion of Tesco Lotus Express shops there is a some commentary on where to find items from home (or imported items).

I love the upscale Thai supermarkets, and as a tourists and long stay visitor, I've found them well stocked. As I hope to move to LOS full time in the next year or two, I wonder what grocery items those of you living in Thailand have a hard time finding and actually miss.

In the US, I gravitate to Asian food almost all of the time anyway, and on my last four month stay in LOS, I never really craved any food items that I could not easily find. However some insight from those of you living in LOS might make me (and others) realize what we might indeed miss from the West and take for granted.

Pete

However some insight from those of you living in LOS might make me (and others) realize what we might indeed miss from the West and take for granted.

Often, it's not the item itself, but the brand. For example, my toothpaste preference is Arm & Hammer's Peroxicare. I have never found any in Thailand. I also miss minor items, such as certain spices. I like Lawry's spices, and there are none in Thailand. I like Maxwell House coffee, and if any is sold in Thailand, I have yet to find it. I like to use the packaged Lipton Onion Soup for cooking, but I've never found any in Thailand. I like corned beef hash, but have never found any of that here either.

Sometimes certain items can be found in Thailand, but because of import costs they are prohibitively expensive, so I only buy them once in a great while. For example, imported fresh fruits such as peaches, plums, apricots, and cherries can be had in Thailand, but they are quite expensive here. Don't expect to get real Georgia peaches in Thailand, though.

There are also restaurant types I miss. I'd love a really good New York style deli to open in Thailand, but I doubt that will happen in the foreseeable future.

Certain types of appliances can be difficult to find in Thailand. I used to have a bread machine when I was still living in the USA, one of those machines with which you can bake your own bread simply by adding the ingredients, turning it on, and leaving the rest to the machine. I have been trying to find one in Thailand, but have had no success locating any. I wish I had brought mine with me, but I didn't.

I have often been surprised, though. It is not unusual to be looking for a certain item for months, sometimes even years, and suddenly you find a place that has it or find someone who knows where to get it.

In most cases I have been able to find adequate alternatives that can substitute for what I miss, and there's really not that much I miss in the first place, but I'd still rather have the actual item than a substitution.

I think in most cases you'll be able to find most of what you're looking for in Thailand, but you'll probably have to shop around for some items. There will probably be some items that you won't find at all, not even substitutions, but you might be pleasantly surprised at how few those will be.

Guest buaseng

On my frequent visits to Thailand the one thing I really do miss is decent freshly baked bread (white - not the supermarket plastic version - but prefereably wholemeal). The Thai versions are appalling with little taste and awful texture and in addition seem to nearly always be made with some form of sugar or sweetener added. Ugh !

Guest jinks

Before the days of Tesco (yes a LONG time ago)

A dear, now departed friend, David Ferguson (david in pattaya on MANY boards) could not get his favourite baked beans.

I took him a "supermarket flat" of 36 tins.

He with Allen, called at the Icon Hotel to collect them.

We went out for breakfast, an English fry up, including beans.

Having finished breakfast he took me to several places that were new to me in the area.

IPB Image

He then rushed home to have beans on toast.

Fond memories, nice man, good friend and sadly missed.

Guest BKKvisitor

On my frequent visits to Thailand the one thing I really do miss is decent freshly baked bread (white - not the supermarket plastic version - but prefereably wholemeal). The Thai versions are appalling with little taste and awful texture and in addition seem to nearly always be made with some form of sugar or sweetener added. Ugh !

I agree on the bread. If you're near Silom, LaBoulange (Soi Convent opp. Starbucks) bakes fresh French-style breads with old-world texture. You can also pick up breads from this bakery in the market on the ground floor of the Silom complex.

I miss small boxes of cereals that don't have sugar as the primary ingredient. I keep wondering what's going to happen to those beautiful Thai smiles if the kids grow up on those gooey concoctions.

What do I also miss? Shaving cream at a reasonable price. It seems that Gillette has cornered the market and prices are higher than in the US or Europe. Apparently all the local manufacturers were brought out and the only competition I see is a Japanese gel.

And, of course, just about everyone would like a drinkable glass of wine that doesn't bust your budget. I usually drink only local beers and have to admit that I've gotten to like Chang.

Often, it's not the item itself, but the brand. For example, my toothpaste preference is Arm & Hammer's Peroxicare. I have never found any in Thailand. I also miss minor items, such as certain spices. I like Lawry's spices, and there are none in Thailand. I like Maxwell House coffee, and if any is sold in Thailand, I have yet to find it. I like to use the packaged Lipton Onion Soup for cooking, but I've never found any in Thailand. I like corned beef hash, but have never found any of that here either.

Sometimes certain items can be found in Thailand, but because of import costs they are prohibitively expensive, so I only buy them once in a great while. For example, imported fresh fruits such as peaches, plums, apricots, and cherries can be had in Thailand, but they are quite expensive here. Don't expect to get real Georgia peaches in Thailand, though.

There are also restaurant types I miss. I'd love a really good New York style deli to open in Thailand, but I doubt that will happen in the foreseeable future.

Certain types of appliances can be difficult to find in Thailand. I used to have a bread machine when I was still living in the USA, one of those machines with which you can bake your own bread simply by adding the ingredients, turning it on, and leaving the rest to the machine. I have been trying to find one in Thailand, but have had no success locating any. I wish I had brought mine with me, but I didn't.

I have often been surprised, though. It is not unusual to be looking for a certain item for months, sometimes even years, and suddenly you find a place that has it or find someone who knows where to get it.

In most cases I have been able to find adequate alternatives that can substitute for what I miss, and there's really not that much I miss in the first place, but I'd still rather have the actual item than a substitution.

I think in most cases you'll be able to find most of what you're looking for in Thailand, but you'll probably have to shop around for some items. There will probably be some items that you won't find at all, not even substitutions, but you might be pleasantly surprised at how few those will be.

Two types of bread machines are available in the Siam Paragon Department store in BKK

:rolleyes:

Guest luvthai

After I am there awhile I get the longing for a good Hot Dog (Coney Island type). The Dairy Queen at Big C has a good chili dog but it still not the best. For the most part I am able to find items such as white potato's . I do miss good peaches garden peas and good apples. They do have great strawberies fromm Chiang Mai which I do enjoy.

Guest ReneThai

Rim Ping supermarket in ChiangMai has it all .The newest shop is near Central Airport Plaza .

It can compare with Harrods Food Halls in London

Rene

Two types of bread machines are available in the Siam Paragon Department store in BKK

You see? This is one of the things I love about message boards . . . people sharing information and good, quick responses when people ask for information. I very much appreciate that, Rogelio. I'm guessing you are talking about the grocery store in the Siam Paragon. Is that where they sell them? Next time I'm in Bangkok, I will definitely be shopping for one. Thank you very much.

Guest painai

I miss raspberries and blueberries. Sometimes you can find them at Friendship Market for 250 baht for a tiny package--that's a little bit high!

Guest travelerjim

Before the days of Tesco (yes a LONG time ago)

A dear, now departed friend, David Ferguson (david in pattaya on MANY boards) could not get his favourite baked beans.

I took him a "supermarket flat" of 36 tins.

He with Allen, called at the Icon Hotel to collect them.

We went out for breakfast, an English fry up, including beans.

Having finished breakfast he took me to several places that were new to me in the area.

IPB Image

He then rushed home to have beans on toast.

Fond memories, nice man, good friend and sadly missed.

YES, Jinks...

David in Pattaya was a very special man - a friend to all - and so willing to help out any way he could..and he knew the ins and outs of Pattaya like the back of his hand :-)

His photos of the happening's about town shared the news of Pattaya to readers worldwide, as he was a key contributor to The Pattaya Gay Weekly Report.

He is deeply missed...

RIP David,

TJ

Guest wowpow

I prefer to concentrate of the delicious things that are available in Thailand.

Mata Hari serve the most delicious raspberries from Vietnam. I introduced a friend to them last evening and he was amazed " These are as good as my local wild respeberries in the US.

Huge bunches of Sweet Basil for 5 baht and a lot of garlic cloves for 35 so I can make my own pesto. The pine nuts and parmesan push the total price up.

Mangoes and many exotic sweet fruits at a fraction of the price in the UK. I lobe to drink the green coconut on the beach and later have a mango peeled for me and it comes with a free banana.

Amazingly cheap seafood restaurants seem to start at the south end of Jomtien beach road and continue down to Bang Saray. Usually quite simply prepared - steamed or grilled - and fresh as can be. Best take you own booze.

Ice creams seem very cheap here (except Haagen Daz) and Basking Robbins serve two giant scoops got less than 1 small scoop of HD. Ming you HD's Malon Ice cream made with Japanese musk melons has to be tried and may be found addictive.

Great baked gammon, sausages and Charolaise beef from Yorkies on Jomtien beach road.

Tasty cheap asparagus available all year round - how do they do it?

Hard UK cheeses Caerphilly, Lancashire, Cheshire and Wensleydale are available at Tops and the delicious Mainland Tasty Cheddar from New Zealand is everywhere.

Good bleach used to be a problem but now everywhere seem to stock Chloros.

Guest buaseng

I prefer to concentrate of the delicious things that are available in Thailand.

The thread is entitled "what grocery items do you MISS from home"

Talk about being off-topic ! However, I suppose it's nothing new from Khun Cut and Paste

Guest GaySacGuy

I just spent 2 months in Pattaya (I am now in Phukett for 3 weeks), and the only item that i really missed was sweet pickle relish..wasn't able to find anywhere. Took a long time to find tortillas, but they were at Friendship Market.

Gaybutton, I found corn beef hash, but not sure if it was at Friendship or perhaps Tops..but it was good.

Guest thrillbill8

Inexpensive razor blades...do they exist ANYWHERE in the world???? :wacko: I find that the Gillette Mach III razor blades do give me a smooth shave; but why do these brand name blades have to be over $1.50 a piece? Even the discount stores in the States can't give a discounted price and I thought in Thailand they would be less expensive but they're about the same price. I have a gut feeling Gillette has almost a monopoly- I can't believe a small piece of sharp metal cased with plastic could cost that much. Yes, I have tried other brands like Bic and some others but they either cut up my face or don't cut as well. I go through about 3 blades a week , I'd rather spend my "razor money" on beer.

Guest lvdkeyes

I was surprised by this posting. I have commented to friends that I was amazed at the high quality breads available here. Namely at Carrefour, Foodland, Continental Bakery in Jomtien and Friendship Market.

Guest buaseng

I was surprised by this posting. I have commented to friends that I was amazed at the high quality breads available here. Namely at Carrefour, Foodland, Continental Bakery in Jomtien and Friendship Market.

The quality of the some of the bread may be better at Continental Bakery but most of the bread sold in 'super-markets' in Thailand is awful mass-produced rubbish with little taste and a loose, open texture. I don't even buy 'supermarket' bread in the UK, having a local family bakery close to home. I have tried bread from Carrefour and Contintenal bakery, which is better than the others, but even that tastes as though it has had sugar or sweetener added - not to my liking at all. Just my opinion - some may like it that way - each to his own !