TotallyOz

Favorite Fast Food Joint

What is your favorite fast food place?

Mine is a mix. I love Subway just about anytime day or night. I can get what I want exactly the way I want it. They do have these world wide but not as much as other American chains.

Next would be McDonalds. I grew up on this and it was a few times a month we were treated to a cheeseburger here and still I love the place. I know not good for the calories but nothing beats a Quarter Pounder when you are traveling long distance and have only a few minutes to devour something.

When in the Southeast, Bojangle's. Country ham biscuits there are surprisingly credible. And their meaty fried chicken makes Colonel Sanders' pitiful birds look like Dachau refugees.

In New England I settle for Popeye's. Again good fried chicken, and not half-bad red beans and rice. Sometimes they even have collard greens.

AdamSmith is a hick when it comes to fast food.

WhiteTrashCooking.jpg

Guest lurkerspeaks

I would second Adam's Popeyes Fried Chicken...I am surprised no one mentioned In and Out Burgers.. It has such a cult following, but honestly to me it isnt anything special.

Guest AdrianHart

Fast food is almost unavoidable, especially when you are always on the go so my partner and I choose places that have a healthier menu when possible. We like Boston Market where you can get a well rounded meal and we love Chipotle. The burrito bowls are great and loaded with protein.

I will admit I get a craving for a big juicy cheeseburger every now and then and Mcdonalds or BK does just fine for me. I'm not picky, just hungry, lol.

Adrian

Guest TAYLORKY1ESQ
Fast food is almost unavoidable, especially when you are always on the go so my partner and I choose places that have a healthier menu when possible. We like Boston Market where you can get a well rounded meal and we love Chipotle. The burrito bowls are great and loaded with protein.

I will admit I get a craving for a big juicy cheeseburger every now and then and Mcdonalds or BK does just fine for me. I'm not picky, just hungry, lol.

Adrian

White Castle, sliders,belly bombers, whatever ya wanna call em'....ummmmmummmmm good.

Guest JasonCarter

Mine is a tie between Krystal and Raising Cane's

If you've never Raising Cane's before, it's the best chicken fingers and freshly made remoulade dipping sauce you've ever had! They are based in Louisiana and have started to expand into the DFW area and in Mississippi.

Krystal is always great for post 2am visits after a night out on the town...I'm partial to the chilli cheese pups myself! ^_^

- Jason Carter - Dallas, TX

- jasoncarter53@hotmail.com

- (972) 365-0120

Mine is a mix. I love Subway just about anytime day or night. I can get what I want exactly the way I want it. They do have these world wide but not as much as other American chains.

Next would be McDonalds. I grew up on this and it was a few times a month we were treated to a cheeseburger here and still I love the place. I know not good for the calories but nothing beats a Quarter Pounder when you are traveling long distance and have only a few minutes to devour something.

Guest epigonos

I seldom eat in fast food restaurants BUT, living in Southern California, when I do it is ALWAYS at IN-N-OUT. I lust after their double doubles (double meat and double cheese) Burgers. They also slice and cook their own frys. They haven't expanded their menu to silly things like Chicken McNuggets, salads etc. They serve only Hamburgers, Cheeseburgers, fries, sodas, and milkshakes.

Another Los Angeles area institution is TOMMY'S. It was started in downtown L.A. on the corner of Beverly and Rampart Blvds. about fifty years ago. It is famous for its chili burgers, chili cheeseburgers, and chili dogs. Originally they didn't even serve fries but do so now. The original owner hired only ex cons who he paid a living wage and damn were they efficient and loyal.

For the hotdog fans in the basin there is Pinks. It is located at the corner of La Brea and Melrose and is another long time L.A. institution. At lunch time the line outside can get to be a block long. The walls of the seating area are covered with the signed photographs of big name motion picture and television celebrities who have in the past and still do patronize the place. Whatever one wants done to a hotdog the can and will do it.

• Members

Arby's Roast Beef. If it is hamburgers then I go with Wendy's, plus they have great baked potatoes. Then there is always the occasional White Castle late night stop.

Whenever I get a little farther South, Krystal is a must for me. I always stop at Krystal in the Atlanta airport when time allows.

Guest epigonos

Tampa I don’t know about you BUT I am a certified BARBECUE FREAK. I am most particularly a fan of Texas Barbecue. If you ever find yourself in the hill country of Texas between San Antonio and Austin here are a few places you MUST visit.

Artz Rib House – Austin

Chicken, pork ribs, and beef ribs are all excellent

Black’s Barbecue – Lockhart

Great beef ribs

City Market – Luling

No plates and no forks. Old fashioned barbecue served on butcher paper. Eat with your hands.

Cooper’s Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que – Llano

Fantastic beef ribs and top sirloin

Kreuz Market – Lockhart

Believe it or not barbecued prime rib

Louis Mueller Barbeque – Taylor

Probably the best brisket I’ve ever eaten

Tampa I don’t know about you BUT I am a certified BARBECUE FREAK. I am most particularly a fan of Texas Barbecue.

Poor boy! Deluded that pork smothered in the Red Menace they use down there has anything to do with BARBECUE. :P

The real stuff comes from eastern N.C. ...

All NC-BBQ is very slow cooked pork carcasses, generally cooked for a minimum of 16-18 hours at a very low temperature for pork, often 250 degrees or slightly less, sometimes up to 300 degrees but never more than that... After cooking, the meat is pulled from the bones, and then pulled apart into bite-size chunks, and then usually chopped further with a large cleaving knife until a texture is reached that suits the chef. Almost never is "real" NC-BBQ ever served sliced, except at certain restaurants that cater a lot to non-NC-natives and the clientele demands such.

By slow cooking at low temperature, the meat is allowed to "age" without drying out. Almost never is any kind of sauce applied during cooking, save a tad of vinegar-based with a few spices only "sauce" which isn't meant as a flavoring agent, only as a hydration aid to prevent excess binding of the outside part of the meat...

Of course this writer is also correct that "Eastern-Style BBQ is usually one of two grades; either excellent, or close to inedible."

http://hkentcraig.com/BBQexp.html

http://hkentcraig.com/BBQ.html

P.S. The one exception I will grant to Better-Dead-than-Red is the heavenly Arthur Bryant's in Kansas City. http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/

Wilbur's used to be one of the gold standards, for sure. Hate to say this, but I stopped by there 3 years ago and then again 2 years ago. Afraid both times the 'cue was pretty bad -- dry, burnt, close to inedible, like the blogger said. :(

Oddly enough, there are 2 places around Boston that serve authentic & excellent NC-style BBQ:

http://www.blueribbonbbq.com/

http://www.eastcoastgrill.net/

Guest epigonos

Damn AdamSmith we could get into a real donnybrook over this one. In traditional TEXAS HILL COUNTRY barbeque NO sauce what-so-ever is ever offered. In some of the more urban joints like Artz, in Austin, they will provide sauce but only because so many “foreigners†insist on asking for it. Mesquite is the wood of choice for smoking in this part of Texas rather than any of the other milder woods. Another major difference is that one encounters far less pork barbecue in the Hill Country. Beef is KING in Texas. I understand the favored meat in southeastern barbecue is pork. Of course most Hill Country joints do have excellent dry pork ribs but that is about it.

Thus good Hill Country barbeque will be beef brisket, ribs, sirloin or even prime rib. It will be smoked over mesquite, show a definite smoke ring particularly on the brisket and prime rib and be served dry without sauce.

Guest jackhammer91406

I used to enjoy grabbing a few CRISPY CREMEs hot off the belt. But now I prefer to stop by CHIPOTLE for the crispy chicken tacos.

Guest BewareofNick

Adrian

I have to second Adrian's nod to Boston Market. The location at Colonial and Bennett in orlando used to have the HOTTEST manager.

I also like Moe's and Stevi B's.

Wilbur's used to be one of the gold standards, for sure. Hate to say this, but I stopped by there 3 years ago and then again 2 years ago. Afraid both times the 'cue was pretty bad -- dry, burnt, close to inedible, like the blogger said. :(

Oddly enough, there are 2 places around Boston that serve authentic & excellent NC-style BBQ:

http://www.blueribbonbbq.com/

http://www.eastcoastgrill.net/

Well that's disappointing, though my memories are mostly more than 25 years old at this point. But thanks for the tip on Boston, since I never go back to NC, but I tend to pass through Boston about once a year.

Guest mineallmine

No one mentioned Sonic! Their Cherry Cherry Lime Aid is heavenly!

Im also a big In and Out fan...but since i discovered Ho-Dads in Ocean Beach nothing can beat it for a burger and onion rings! And the shakes are out of this world!

Quiznos is another favorite if I am going for a sub just seems higher quality then Subway!

Damn AdamSmith we could get into a real donnybrook over this one.

Thus good Hill Country barbeque will be beef brisket, ribs, sirloin or even prime rib. It will be smoked over mesquite, show a definite smoke ring particularly on the brisket and prime rib and be served dry without sauce.

Well, I cop to criminal ignorance! Please forgive. That sounds incredibly great.

I never get to Hill Country, only Houston area on business. But you have given me incentive.

Guest StuCotts

Not much of a fast food fan. My absolutely only weakness in this field is White Manna in Hackensack, NJ.

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2005/0..._manna_a_n.html?

The sliders are the best in my experience, and the fries are beyond words.

Alert: Fast applies only to off-hours. During the lunchtime rush, the place bulges with customers and service slows down.

• Members

I almost never eat fast food. But it is apparent that none of you has ever had Memphis BBQ which is pork shoulder, cooked over low heat and slowly for at least 1+ days and then PULLED apart and further sliced; then served on a toasted bun with local cole slaw and tomato based hot sauce. No vinegar like NC so called BBQ. We also do pork ribs which are much like the shoulder in preparation and served with either only the rub which was used to cook the ribs or the rub + hot sauce. Wonderful.

I invite each and every one of you to try it before commenting or comparing it with other so called BBQ. You can order it from Corky's or most any of MANY local establishments featuring BBQ here in MEM.

Bon appetite!!

Best regards,

RA1