TampaYankee

Franken Increases Lead Over Coleman

• Members

Just reported by Andrea Mitchell on MSNBC that Franken has increased his lead to a total of 312 votes after the count of the additional 400 votes that the MN court validated. 1:25 PM

That is an increase from 225. The ball is now in Republican Gov. Pawlenty's court. Let's let the MN Supreme Court have it's say before the Gov.

I suspect that if the case is appealed to the SCOTUS ( odds against slightly IMO) they will have the good sense not to take it.

I'm guessing the MN supreme court will be the final stop. They'll either take it or they won't. I can't guess whether they will, but I'm betting that the finding of the lower court that there is no evidence of corruption in the process will stand, and that Franken will take the election.

Guest eastburbguy

< I'm guessing the MN supreme court will be the final stop.

Don't hold your breath....

(Political comments expunged in line with site policy, TY)

I'm guessing the MN supreme court will be the final stop. They'll either take it or they won't. I can't guess whether they will, but I'm betting that the finding of the lower court that there is no evidence of corruption in the process will stand, and that Franken will take the election.

• Members
< I'm guessing the MN supreme court will be the final stop.

Don't hold your breath.

I appreciate that the MN electorate must feel frustrated by this time.

Whatever the motiviations involved, the process will come to an end and those in a position to influence most the final resolution path/timetable will have to stand in front of the MN electorate for ultimate judgment.

• Members
< Will this ever be over?

Not until the Fat Lady, i.e., SCOTUS, has sung. :(

When SCOTUS took control of the Florida recount, it gave the public a distorted notion of the electoral role of the federal judiciary. That was a one off intervention into an extraodinary situation. SCOTUS has strong institutional reasons to keep out of contested elections.