Guest lurkerspeaks

A beginner's guide to visiting Rio

• Members

Are you expecting that Lucky is lurking and will PM you? He "signed off" of this site some time ago, although as mentioned at the time he is welcome back at any time.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest tomcal

getting back to what this thread is about...I highly recommend that first timers take a cab to Meo Mundo! It's a unmarked door on a alleyway street. safe area with several cafes now set up on the alleyway(Rua Teofilo Otoni 118) and behind the large Santander bank building. If you decide to take the subway, get off at the Uruguaiana exit and look for the Pres. vargas exit as there are several different exits out of this large station. Head East about 4 large blocks until you see the Church on your right and the tall Red trim/grey Santander bank building on your right! behind the bank is Meo mundo on the street/alleyway called teofilo otoni. Here is a pic off of google earth. the yellow marker is MM

• Members

Sunday night in Botafogo about 11:30PM I nearly got robbed for my good watch. Thiago was nearby and scared the guy off.

Monday after in Lapa/Bairro de Fatima we were sitting in Al-Kuwait restaurant across from Bar das Quengas on Mem de Sa, and a guy skirted along the sidewalk next to the window and nearly stole Thiago's cell phone. With his hand out, I pushed the phone in Thiago's hand away from the window. Last November I was using my Samsung Note on the sidewalk near a building and a guy on a bike road up onto a sidewalk and swiped it right out of my hand. No one is going to help you once anything occurs. It isn't work it. Keep one eye always out for trouble.

Guest Trench

You wear good watch in Rio where thieving is so rampant and in your face? I only wear good watch when going to a place where it prompts courtesy from wait staff. Btw, thieving goes on even in so called first world countries. They just tell you your good chef’s knives are not allowed in checked-in luggage.

Guest lurkerspeaks
On 7/1/2016 at 9:53 AM, brockmiller said:

would you advise using airbnb in Rio? 

check out my post about my visit to Rio this year. I stayed in an airbnb apartment and had a great experience.  

• Members
1 hour ago, lurkerspeaks said:

check out my post about my visit to Rio this year. I stayed in an airbnb apartment and had a great experience.  

hey Lurker, thanks!!! I am so torn between Rio and Medellin right now lol. but I will check out airbnb for Rio

• Members

Thanks to all for this extremely helpful information.  I am an infrequent poster but greatly appreciate the stories and insights of others.  I have been to Brazil twice before but with friends.  I am thinking of making a third trip alone early next year so I can more fully partake in the saunas, etc.  I have read the posts here that the sauna culture not last for many more years and that has motivated me!! I may be asking questions here several time before my trip but I had one basic question now (I apologize if this is the wrong thread or if this has been covered elsewhere). But, what is a reliable/relative fast company to use for obtai ing a visa (mine has been expired)?I would probably be using the "concierge" service noted on many sites.  Thanks so much for any help!!

6 hours ago, tidewater said:

Thanks to all for this extremely helpful information.  I am an infrequent poster but greatly appreciate the stories and insights of others.  I have been to Brazil twice before but with friends.  I am thinking of making a third trip alone early next year so I can more fully partake in the saunas, etc.  I have read the posts here that the sauna culture not last for many more years and that has motivated me!! I may be asking questions here several time before my trip but I had one basic question now (I apologize if this is the wrong thread or if this has been covered elsewhere). But, what is a reliable/relative fast company to use for obtai ing a visa (mine has been expired)?I would probably be using the "concierge" service noted on many sites.  Thanks so much for any help!!

You may want to use Google for this...

I live in Atlanta and we have a consulate here so I took mine and dropped it off and picked it up the first time...the second visa they send to my home...

I highly recommend Google

• Members

For my first time in Rio I wanted to stay close to clube117, so I was thinking about hotel Novo Mundo (Praia do Flamengo, 10 minute walk from Gloria station) instead of something in copacabana.

Is that a bad idea? Beginners should start with Copacabana?

Guest bobbalino

I always stay in the area, more middle class, and Flamengo Beach boardwalk is very long, pretty and safe. But do not try to cruise there when dark, or any beach as you know.

This summer I had a few days apto beside Novo Mundo. Great view if face east. Have not seen inside ... is older and there was reno scaffolding (noise?).

However, I strongly recommend Windsor Florida one long block west of it and slightly south. New hotel, gorgeous rooftop terrace fab views and lovely dipping pool, block from Metro, 'hood amenities close, and excellent rates this Fall due to high vacancy. Upscale white linen white glove vibe at rockbottom prices. I have stayed there before and will briefly this winter waiting for apto checkin. I know someone who had one visitor he was required to register. 

As already mentioned, maybe stay at Lovetime more northerly towards Gloria if you really want the freedom to host dates. 

Enjoy!

Guest lurkerspeaks

I think the main reason we suggest either Copacabana or Ipanema, especially for the first time visitor is because it is a much more tourist friendly, upscale area where it is (relatively) safe to be out walking around at night. 

Guest bobbalino
49 minutes ago, lurkerspeaks said:

I think the main reason we suggest either Copacabana or Ipanema, especially for the first time visitor is because it is a much more tourist friendly, upscale area where it is (relatively) safe to be out walking around at night. 

One of the reasons I stay in Catete/Gloria, apart from convenience, is that tourist-directed crime, and subsequent additional deployment of police patrols (whose presence is OCCASIONALLY visible), is statistically higher in Copa/Ipa/Leblon. But the latter has more caché and is totes good idea for newbies. 

10 hours ago, Tartegogo said:

For my first time in Rio I wanted to stay close to clube117, so I was thinking about hotel Novo Mundo (Praia do Flamengo, 10 minute walk from Gloria station) instead of something in copacabana.

Is that a bad idea? Beginners should start with Copacabana?

You may want to stay in Copa or Ipanema as there is more to do at night and it is definitely safer for a first timer...More to do, safer

I would suggest looking for things to do near your hotel at night since you wont be staying at the sauna and Gloria is not central to all the touristy or gay friendly things to do in Rio...

Guest bobbalino

I stayed in Gloria my first visit to Rio. Safe and interesting. My second visit I stayed in Copacabana but my hotel was closest to Cardeal Arcoverde and I walked several blocks uneasily as was deserted at night. Gloria is central for tourism as it is equidistant to Centro sights and the southern beaches. In fact, I walk to the rackrail station at Corcovado. On this forum, beware of information from posters whose mission is to discredit others' views at the expense of accuracy. Staying in Copacabana will be just fine, as are a few other options.

Copacabana is a big long area, plenty of hotels there in wide range of price, but in general the closer to Ipanema, the higher price they get.  The hotels in Gloria are dirt cheap compare to Copa or Ipanema.

• Members
On 10/17/2017 at 9:44 AM, bobbalino said:

One of the reasons I stay in Catete/Gloria, apart from convenience, is that tourist-directed crime, and subsequent additional deployment of police patrols (whose presence is OCCASIONALLY visible), is statistically higher in Copa/Ipa/Leblon. But the latter has more caché and is totes good idea for newbies. 

...also one can use English freely and is able to communicate with ease.