Lucky

Hey Girl! Talk About A Meltdown

• Members

There should be psychological screenings for flight attendants.

Yeah, this one incident in pretty much the history of flying where a flight attendant under stress did something rash that didn't endanger anybody... In fact this was about the least destructive he could've done in that emotional state... I would've grabbed a portable O2 bottle and bludgeoned the person to death after they hit me in the head with a suitcase they had no business getting out.

Ideally he would've just gone to the back, called the flight deck and asked them to have police meet the plane, then announced to the cabin that due to the actions of that passenger and the assault on the FA's person there would be a delay at the gate while we await police to take that person into custody. Interfering with/disobeying flight crew is a real crime. Not sure the unintentional assault is a criminal matter, but if he claimed double vision and neck pain it sure could be a civil one!

It's a pitty that instead he ended his career--which he did, not just with Jet Blue...

I'm sure most top-tier airlines have flight attendants go through those psyc questionnaires, and since even during a boom time there's more applicants than positions they drop anybody who doesn't 'pass'.

Dozens (more like hundreds) of FAs have been maimed or killed performing their primary duty--seeing to the safety of the passengers in an emergency, yet I recall no incident of them endangering/destroying a plane. Other airline employees and even a couple pilots have, (but hey, the pilots get firearms in the cockpit if they want now!). But let us have this single event on a slow news day shit all over those facts...

So, do we need a whole new bureaucracy to handle your screenings or maybe just add it to the plate of the sages at TSA, since now that they've taken care of the snow globe menace they have plenty of extra time?

Guest restless

I thought this was pretty funny, but I think they should have put up charges against the passenger. Failure to obey a flight attendant is a crime, and too many bitchy prima donnas like this passenger just ignore them.

Agree 100%. I fly business class a lot, and they're even worse than the passengers in economy. It's like that Louis CK bit - Everything's amazing, nobody's happy. Charges should have absolutely been brought against the passenger that tipped the FA over the edge.

I read the other day on some travel site a person's best advice to travelers was to SHUT UP. If your life or your health is not directly affected, SHUT THE FUCK UP. No one cares that you didn't get your fucking peanuts or your seat is uncomfortable.

God, I hate people sometimes. I'll SHUT UP now. :angry:

• Members

Comment found on NYT blog article on incident:

"Kinda surprised that the NYT is capitalizing on a man’s obvious mental meltdown at work. I know Steven and he’s a troubled person who needs help and understanding. He shouldn’t be made the punchline to a Howard Beale joke. Shame on you NYT. You’re now at about the same journalistic level as your crosstown rival the NY Post. At least the Post doesn’t try to be anything other than what it is. You should know better.

— ferryboi"

Guest FourAces

The NY Daily News reports today that at the time of his arrest, the steward was having sex with his boyfriend.

Oh now it makes sense. That explains the smile he had on his face as they led him away ^_^

• Members

Comment found on NYT blog article on incident:

"Kinda surprised that the NYT is capitalizing on a man’s obvious mental meltdown at work. I know Steven and he’s a troubled person who needs help and understanding. He shouldn’t be made the punchline to a Howard Beale joke. Shame on you NYT. You’re now at about the same journalistic level as your crosstown rival the NY Post. At least the Post doesn’t try to be anything other than what it is. You should know better.

— ferryboi"

There's further information that he recently lost his dad to ALS and is losing his mother to cancer. He should have been on leave... dealing with New York passengers on top of that was really just too much for anybody!