TotallyOz

The Best Hotel Rewards Programs

As most of you know, I am very loyal to the Intercontinental Hotels chain. I try to stay Royal Platinum with them each year which requires you stay at least 50 nights with them in all their hotels but also in at least 4 Intercontinental branded hotels. In return, they give you a double upgraded suite, free minibar, free Internet, and lots of other perks. I haven't seen another chain compete with them.

This year I also have Platinum with Marriott, Hilton and Starwoods. IMHO the Marriott isn't worth the money it costs for them to make the card. I do like the Hilton and they have upgraded me to nice rooms when I stay with them.

What are your impressions of the different hotel programs? Which one do you consider the best? Easiest to work with? Best for upgrades? Best for other rewards?

Guest FourAces

When I used to travel often I liked to stay at Courtyard. Mainly because if the trip was for a tournament I am usually going to be there a week maybe more. Courtyard is comfortable for me (most were redone about 2 years ago), within my budget, friendly staff, free wifi and depending on location free breakfast. I'm not a fan of huge hotels with few exceptions those mostly in Las Vegas.

Anyway, I have built up quite a few Marriott reward points ... and I agree they really offer very little. But since I do not travel as often now I probably will stick with them. Though I am gonna check out Hilton's program because of what you have mentioned.

• Members

As TO knows this is a subject near and dear to my heart.

I have seen the suits over at Marriott destroy what had been my favorite FG(Frequent Guest) program bit by bit over the past 6 years. It is know a ghost of its former self and I have gone from 60 nights a year with them to 10-and thr only reason I still give them any business at all is because they have lodgings in places I visit that the competition does not(I"do"SPG and Hyatt and a wee bit of IHG as well as Marriott)as of now.

My Main program now is SPG.I have been plat. with them for 5 years now(after I saw the writing on the wall at Marriott)and was a general member before that.They treat me really well for the most part and have a good mix of lodgings in most of the cities I visit.

This year I started up seriously with Hyatt.The customer service at Hyatt remind me of how customer service at Marriot used to be.Hyatt has a really Good FG program amd has just introduced a pretty good branded Credit Card via Chase.I am aectually typing this from a room at a Hyatt.

OZ mentions his bennies at IGH. He has reached a level called Royal Ambassedor with IHG this is still one of the best of the top tier FG programs-but comes at a cost that many travellers will not see worth the bother/expense. It is an invitation only level.One gets invited by giving enough nights per year and spends enough $$$$ to get noticed.Hyatt has a similar program. Marriott pretends too with Platinum Premier but it falls way short of the mark.

Hyatt will happily match your status with SPG and Marriott-give them a call

TownsendPLocke is an expert on these things and I appreciate his response. I agree with all he said. I have been moving away from Marriott as well and their Platinum Premier is a waste of time IMHO. I have had it in the past and all is does is give you a dedicated phone number to call them. I book online and don't need that.

The Intercontinental Royal status is by invite only but it is easy to get. The plan is comparable with all other hotel programs. You must stay 50 nights at their hotels and you must stay in at least 4 of their Intercontinental Hotels. If you do this, they will give you the Platinum Royal status. If you get it, you can also give the status to another person free. I think they are tops with what they offer their high tier.

I have not stayed at Hyatt but will on Townie's recommendation. I need to replace Marriott as like him, I am over them and have been for a while.

TownsendPLocke is an expert on these things and I appreciate his response. I agree with all he said. I have been moving away from Marriott as well and their Platinum Premier is a waste of time IMHO. I have had it in the past and all is does is give you a dedicated phone number to call them. I book online and don't need that.

The Intercontinental Royal status is by invite only but it is easy to get. The plan is comparable with all other hotel programs. You must stay 50 nights at their hotels and you must stay in at least 4 of their Intercontinental Hotels. If you do this, they will give you the Platinum Royal status. If you get it, you can also give the status to another person free. I think they are tops with what they offer their high tier.

I have not stayed at Hyatt but will on Townie's recommendation. I need to replace Marriott as like him, I am over them and have been for a while.

• Members

We might all have different requirements for our traveling "home away from home". Personally I have been very pleased with the Marriott Residence Inns because I want a fair amount of "room", but, mainly a kitchen. After 3,000 nights traveling, I am tired of restaurant food and wish to do my own cooking. Therefore, I am pleased by being able to "spread out", get on free wifi, have many things in the frig and cook my own meal. However, I am very willing to admit, that is just me.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Years ago the Marriott program offered a special reward if you stayed so many nights. I accomplished this by spending $765 at Marriotts, but got over $4000 in benefits- for example, 8 free nights at the Marriott Marquis in New York, a free week rental with Hertz and a few others that added up. They never repeated the offer.

I stayed on off-nights, which were cheaper, but in places I wanted to go, like San Diego or the Marriott next to Six Flags.

All the points in the world don't count if you cannot consistently count a good room, a good location, friendly staff, and in the winter, a plowed parking lot!

Guest FourAces

Years ago the Marriott program offered a special reward if you stayed so many nights. I accomplished this by spending $765 at Marriotts, but got over $4000 in benefits- for example, 8 free nights at the Marriott Marquis in New York, a free week rental with Hertz and a few others that added up. They never repeated the offer.

Wow you created an awesome bargain out of their point system. I don't recall the program though possibly it was before I joined them. I wish they had kept it but can see why they did not.