Lucky

Obama Parties With The GOP

• Members

Millionaires are rejoicing at the Obama tax cuts, and workers who pay Social Security are also probably happy about that rate cut. Another temporary cut, right? Read this, and you'll see how the Republicans win again! Will the Democrats ever learn?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/08/tax-cut-deal-a-hidden-thr_n_793983.html

• Members

How do we, as voters, allow pols of any party get away with such as this? I am referring to the article where various state the SS will have difficulty reverting to the old rates, etc. Just for starters, there is NO MONEY in the SS "reserve" now, it is all IOU's. How did WE let them do this?

Best regards,

RA1

Guest zipperzone

How do we, as voters, allow pols of any party get away with such as this? I am referring to the article where various state the SS will have difficulty reverting to the old rates, etc. Just for starters, there is NO MONEY in the SS "reserve" now, it is all IOU's. How did WE let them do this?

Best regards,

RA1

Never fear guys - When Caribou Barbie is President she'll fix it all.

• Members

Millionaires are rejoicing at the Obama tax cuts, and workers who pay Social Security are also probably happy about that rate cut. Another temporary cut, right? Read this, and you'll see how the Republicans win again! Will the Democrats ever learn?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/08/tax-cut-deal-a-hidden-thr_n_793983.html

It is actually nice to see some bi-partisanship for once instead of all the lip service. Neither side got exactly what they wanted, that is called compromise. Maybe this country would do a little better if we saw more of it instead of the "My way or the Highway" attitute from both sides.

• Members

KY, I wish I could agree with you. This isn't bi-partisanship, it is capitulation. Obama gave the Republicans their deficit building tax cuts for millionaires, and then cut Social Security using the same "temporary" idea that the Bush tax cuts used. In two years, when the rates return to normal, it will be called a tax hike, and the Repubs will fight it. Thus no funding for future Social Security recipients, and the Republicans have what they want- the end of Social Security. Obama made a huge mistake here.

• Members

1.78 million people will get unemployment checks on Monday who would have not gotten them without this bill.

If it means that some rich people pay less taxes, so what?

I'm for anything that helps people who are unemployed keep food on the table.

You assume that this was the only way to get those benefits to the unemployed, so we should all sit down and shut up. I disagree.

• Members

On the bright side, Obama's concessions have really paid dividends!

Since the deal, Republicans have blocked both the 9/11 responders health bill and DADT repeal, BOTH having been passed by the House and having gotten 57 Yea votes in the Senate.

There are times I'm so pissed at the direction politics continues to descend into in the this country that I'm nearly shaking with rage. (The only other times are when I deliberately don't pay attention, in order to lower the levels of both my despair and blood pressure!)

• Members

You assume that this was the only way to get those benefits to the unemployed, so we should all sit down and shut up. I disagree.

It is obvious there are things in the compromise tax bill you do not like as there are things in it I do not like. They may be or not be the same. At the same time it is also obvious there are things the President does not like, the Democrats do not like, and the Republicans do not like. That is why it is a compromise and I think it is good that both sides are giving in some to get something done. Are the Democrats now to be the new "Party of NO?'

As for the "Tax cut" for the rich, I still scratch my head on that one. With the Bush tax cuts, rates for all American's were cut across the board aproximately 10 years ago. So I look at it as a tax increase (not cut) if the tax rates go back to what they were 10 years ago. This new tax bill keeps the employment tax rates at their present levels for another 2 years for a total of 12 years at the same rate. How many years do rates have to stay the same for it to no longer be considered a tax cut. As for keeping the rates the same adding to the deficit. It really doesn't unless they budgeted for increased revenue from the tax increase when estimating future revenue.

If people are serious about the deficit then just let the tax rates expire for everyone and go back to what they were 10 years ago. No need for a class warfare to result for it.

• Members

If people are serious about the deficit then just let the tax rates expire for everyone and go back to what they were 10 years ago. No need for a class warfare to result for it.

Except it's class warfare either way. The rich in our country pay among the lowest taxes in the developed world. Their wealth has grown precipitously while their taxes ever-diminish.

The current depression is affecting the middle and lower classes far more than the wealthy, and the deficit which is being created will one day HAVE to come out of Social Security or Medicare, services the middle class and below rely on but for which the wealth have plenty of alternatives. There's simply no where else for the money to come from, especially since even cutting programs the military no longer wants is a non-starter with Republicans.

These Republican spending priorities have already gravely injured public education (especially in California), again disproportionately affecting the poor and middle class--at a time they desperately need the chance to acquire more professional skills to find employment.

Then there's the fact that these cuts were enacted to temporarily stimulate the economy, which the current state of the economy PROVES was a failure.

So I can see no justification for extending the cuts for the wealthy, and I can certainly see no justification in the world for slashing the estate tax on monies over 5 million dollars!

Guest epigonos

Even I, a dyed in the wool Republican, would agree to have ALL taxes return to what they were ten years ago with ONE caveat. I would want to see every CENT taken in go to lowering the deficit. Not one cent to earmarks, expanding current social programs or creating new one. Now we all know that simply isn’t going to happen. If I remember correctly for every ONE dollar of new taxes Congress spends TWO dollars.