Lucky

Keeping Up With Computer Stuff

• Members

The Wall Street journal reports today that those apps you might use on your smartphone store your data in unencrypted fashion, thus making all the personal info vulnerable to hackers.

But the hackers will probably get it anyway. Citibank reports another hack that got customer info, including social security numbers. Trust us!

• Members

I got a wonderful offer in the mail yesterday from Verizon -- a $100 rebate on top of any other rebate already available on any of their $4G phones. There were sexy phone photos, and priced from 29.99 to 249.99 before any rebate. Of course they all required re-upping for two years and a data package. Went directly to the circular file.

I cannot conceive of signing up for internet service through one of these metered portals. Someone posted in another thread that such service will be free in 10-20 years. Yeah!! Not as long as telecom's exist. But then who would provide the free service?

• Members

I got a wonderful offer in the mail yesterday from Verizon -- a $100 rebate on top of any other rebate already available on any of their $4G phones. There were sexy phone photos, and priced from 29.99 to 249.99 before any rebate. Of course they all required re-upping for two years and a data package. Went directly to the circular file.

I cannot conceive of signing up for internet service through one of these metered portals. Someone posted in another thread that such service will be free in 10-20 years. Yeah!! Not as long as telecom's exist. But then who would provide the free service?

Verizon also has a $350 termination fee if you cancel early, but I couldn't live without my Droid.

• Members

As many are aware, our own modest Lucky has expressed vividly his feelings on the subject of compliments, and has more than once come out strongly and publicly against them. So I have sheathed my typing finger as the educational and entertainment value of this thread has continued to build, and heretofore reticent posters have contributed thoughtful, insightful, and often quite personal, views on a subject that affects us all.

Far be it from me to tender kisses and hugs where they are not wanted, but would a gentle expression of appreciation to the OP be entirely out of line? smile.gif

Pat-on-the-back.jpg

• Members

compliments.jpg

Well, Lookin and MsGuy, you have given me a good laugh. And I needed it! All week I have been doing taxes. Yes, in June. One good thing the Obama admin did, through the IRS, is allow domestic partners in community property states to use the community property laws to calculate their tax obligations. Since I have always done my own taxes, I have spent all week learning how to do this. The nice thing is that it is retroactive to 2007, so I can file amended returns and essentially get back several thousand dollars as the community property taxation calculates to much less tax due. But what a pain in the ass it has been, and I have only done the 2010 returns.

So, yes, I am receptive to a compliment today!

(PS- Lookin, why Bucharest? Barcelona maybe, but Bucharest?)

• Members
(PS- Lookin, why Bucharest? Barcelona maybe, but Bucharest?)

Mostly I thought a night train between Budapest and Bucharest would represent the far reaches of a cloud-connected world, where I could enjoy my own music as well as sights I'd never seen before.

Add to that, Bucharest is a place I'd love to visit. Barcelona is certainly appealing but, on my rare travels, I like to go places that are a bit more out of the way. It's fascinating to go somewhere that's been rather isolated from the U. S. and see what the similarities are and what the differences are. I believe most people around the world want the same things, but the differences in how they go about getting them is always fascinating and enlightening.

And, certainly not least, I think there are some hot Romanians. tongue.png

8vaNxX245908-02.jpg

At the turn of the millenium, I boogied off to Budapest and settled myself at a sidewalk cafe on the Pest side of the Elizabeth Bridge. A few yards away was a little park where the Romanian boys were strutting their stuff and, ever since, it's been a place I've wanted to visit. At the time, the guys couldn't easily get any farther west than Hungary, and most I spoke with had a younger brother at home who wanted to make the trip to Budapest but didn't have the money. Why, I asked myself, couldn't Mohammed go to the mountain? rolleyes.gif

I'm sure you're sorry you asked, so by way of making amends, I'll try posting a clip of the guy pictured above, Voicu Panzar, Mr. Romania World 2010. If you can ignore the interviewer (not easy, but worth the effort I think), you'll see a guy who could definitely get me up in the cloud and on a train to Bucaresti. wave.gif

• Members

I can translate that:

I often wonder if my affect on women is also strong with the male. Yes, on many occasions I have seen mens' eyes linger on me for just that one split second extra. But for naught, I tell them now. I have only one man I could be attracted to, if you want to put it that way. He is very bright, but not so young. His many accomplishments in life have given him a sense of self, a sense of command of his person. He is taller than I, and I would give my all to him. Yes, I would give him every ounce of lust in my body, every drop of semen I could muster. This man would be called Lucky by his friends for snagging me, but we would both know only that it was meant to be...)

Guest Hoover42

AT&T used operators, especially long distance operators at least into the 1960's according to my memory.

AT&T had long-distance international operators in the 70's as well.

I know because, when I was bored, I'd call and ask for an international operator for some random country, and then just think up questions to ask them.

We didn't get much further than the calling rates, local time zone, but it was still fun.

• Members

OK, OK, that was all nice and good, Lucky, :yawn: but can we skip past the interviewer and get a translation of what Voicu was saying?

Geez, I work hard to write a funny post and some old geezer from deep in the Old South comes along who can't understand who I am translating!

Geezer+Wisdom.gif

Loving computers and gadgets and the like, I have fallen in love with Dragon Speaking. It is the computer program that you speak and it translates into written word on your computer. I graduated with a degree in Creative Writing years ago and have found this program has been great at getting me over my writer's block.

Has anyone else used it?