Gaybutton

Maylasia Hotel

Much the same as The Pinnacle Hotel not warning about their remodeling of the reception area and 2nd floor.

Based on that I'm glad I stayed at the Malaysia. They are having work done on the air conditioning system, but they at least have plenty of signs telling people about it and they also told me about it at the reception desk, before I checked in. I never heard any noise from it at all and the air conditioning was working just fine. As a matter of fact, if it wasn't for the signs I wouldn't have even known there was any work being done.

Also, despite the fact that major construction is going on just across the street, I never heard any of it at all while in my room.

I still like the Pinnacle, but I think from now on my first choice will be the Malaysia. Based on what you wrote, even with Jimmy's prices a room at the Pinnacle is going to be more than 500 baht higher than the price at the Malaysia. I can think of a lot of things to do with 500 baht more in my own pocket rather than in the Pinnacle's pocket. While the Pinnacle's rooms are larger and nicer, the Malaysia suits me just fine.

Is it correct that they have 3 types of rooms (standard-superior and deluxe) ? Are the prices correct on their homepage (888-818-718) ? You have had deluxe room? I normally stay in tawana or tarntawan or sofitel centara bt may be can give a try for short stays in bangkok.

thanks

Guest painai

standard-superior and deluxe--at the Malaysia, the standard means NO tv and NO bathtub, only a shower in the toilet. The superior is what most people get, the deluxe is just like the superior, only with fancier drapes and furnishings. The superior is, also, normally what they will give you unless you request otherwise--or that's all they have left. Even though I don't watch a lot of tv, a room without one really seems bleak. Making an advance reservation and arriving at the time you had said you would--you will have no problem getting at least the superior room. Once I showed up at 5 pm and was holding a reservation but because I had said noon arrival they had to give away the room I had booked and I got stuck with a standard room. That's all they had left and was just lucky to get that. So now, when they say what time will you be arriving?--I try to be more realistic. However, I'm sure if one gave a credit card, that would guarantee the booking, but without doing that they go by your word for the arrival time.

So now, when they say what time will you be arriving?--I try to be more realistic.

They ask me if I'm going to arrive by 6:00 PM. I tell them yes, and if I'm going to be any later than that I will call and let them know. So far I haven't had any problems. As far as I know, most Thai hotels, including the Malaysia, will hold the room for you if you contact them and let them know you will be later than the arrival time you originally gave them. If not, after a period of time they usually assume you're going to be a no-show and they'll give away the room to someone else.

"The Pinnacle has both room safes and lobby safes. The Malaysia has only lobby safes. My room, at least, did not have a safe. Use of the lobby safe is free, but make sure to ask them what times access to your lobby safe is available. I can't recall whether it was the Malaysia, but I do recall reading something recently about someone having a real problem accessing his lobby safe during certain hours."

I know of friends who have missed their early morning departure flight to America because they could not access their passports from the lobby safe until the daytime desk clerk arrived in the morning. You must plan ahead and don't forget.

The Malaysia is clean and cheap but it has several negatives for me. It is a long walk from the Lumpini subway station, especially in the rain. You can experience unanticipated traffic delays using taxis as Soi Ngam Duplii can be very congested.

The Malaysia (and Suriwongse) are well known hang-outs of money boys. I've known farangs with non-money boy bf's who will not stay there for that reason. I've heard of farangs trying to hook-up with just regular gay Thai guys (InterNet dating) but were dumped when it was found they were staying at the Malaysia/Suriwongse.

I can understand why a Thai guy would dump a farang staying at the Malaysia, they are looking for a rich sugar daddy--not someone paying ฿708 a night for their room. And yes, the lobby safes are available 24 hours a day at the Malaysia, I actually sleep better with someone knowing my valuables are in the lobby safe and not my room safe.

I can understand why a Thai guy would dump a farang staying at the Malaysia, they are looking for a rich sugar daddy--not someone paying ฿708 a night for their room.

I gave up trying to second guess what goes on in the mind of a Thai guy a long time ago. I've been sleeping a lot better at night ever since. A rich sugar daddy doesn't necessarily spend his money on luxury hotels or fancy rooms. A person could be staying at the Malaysia merely because of its proximity to the Babylon, because the Pinnacle or other accommodation is full, because of its proximity to the embassies, because of its proximity to the expressway, simply because he likes it there, because of its gay friendliness, or for any number of reasons. If a Thai guy gives me the heave-ho because of my choice of hotels, then that's a Thai guy I wouldn't want in the first place.

I can understand why a Thai guy would dump a farang staying at the Malaysia, they are looking for a rich sugar daddy--not someone paying ฿708 a night for their room. And yes, the lobby safes are available 24 hours a day at the Malaysia, I actually sleep better with someone knowing my valuables are in the lobby safe and not my room safe.

I'm glad they changed their policy on the lobby safes, 24 hour access just like the Tarntawan.

I think you missed my point. Not every gay Thai man is a money boy looking for a sugar daddy. I know many older farangs that hook-up with gay Thai men via the InterNet. These guys are not looking for money and wouldn't be caught dead in a sex tourist hotel.

. . . wouldn't be caught dead in a sex tourist hotel.

You might be right, but if you are it comes as news to me. I've never heard anyone say a Thai boy, for any reason, refused to come to a "sex tourist" hotel. I don't know what constitutes a "sex tourist" hotel. Both the Pinnacle and the Malaysia cater to both gay and straight. I've seen plenty of heterosexual couples, including Thais, staying at both.

In Pattaya, that would mean these same boys would refuse to come to the Ambiance, Le Café Royale, Howard's, or Don Plaza. Aren't these boys gay too? Why would they refuse to stay at a gay friendly hotel? Would they prefer a gay unfriendly hotel?

A Thai boy, whether money boy or not, would advertise himself on a gay web site in hopes of meeting a "farang," quite often placing shirtless or even nude photos of himself within his ad, but then refuse to stay with him because it would be in a gay or gay friendly "sex tourist" hotel? That doesn't make much sense to me. If it really happens, then that's something I would find truly remarkable, even taking "Thai logic" into consideration.

I don't dispute that it may have happened, but I would guess that boys who really would refuse to stay in these places are either a very small minority or using that as an excuse to get rid of the "farang" because of other reasons.

You might be right, but if you are it comes as news to me. I've never heard anyone say a Thai boy, for any reason, refused to come to a "sex tourist" hotel. I don't know what constitutes a "sex tourist" hotel. Both the Pinnacle and the Malaysia cater to both gay and straight. I've seen plenty of heterosexual couples, including Thais, staying at both.

In Pattaya, that would mean these same boys would refuse to come to the Ambiance, Le Café Royale, Howard's, or Don Plaza. Aren't these boys gay too? Why would they refuse to stay at a gay friendly hotel? Would they prefer a gay unfriendly hotel?

A Thai boy, whether money boy or not, would advertise himself on a gay web site in hopes of meeting a "farang," quite often placing shirtless or even nude photos of himself within his ad, but then refuse to stay with him because it would be in a gay or gay friendly "sex tourist" hotel? That doesn't make much sense to me. If it really happens, then that's something I would find truly remarkable, even taking "Thai logic" into consideration.

I don't dispute that it may have happened, but I would guess that boys who really would refuse to stay in these places are either a very small minority or using that as an excuse to get rid of the "farang" because of other reasons.

I was explicitly referring to non-cmmericial gay men. These are often professionals or have good paying jobs who simply want to have sex or a good time and would feel insulted if you suggested "a tip". I'm not talking about the "working" who doesn't consider himself a money-boy either. I have older farang friends who now never go to a gay bar in search of companionship. They live in Bangkok and often their friend of the evening pulls up in a late model BMW or Mercedes. I doubt this type of lifestyle is an option for a farang living in Pattaya.

And there is a difference between the Tarntawan and the Malaysia (or Suriwongse) in many peoples eyes. I have never seen free-lancers loitering in the lobby or cafe at either the Tarntawan or Pinnacle. I would have personally no problem staying at the Malaysia but I just prefer the Pinnacle location better.

I have older farang friends who now never go to a gay bar in search of companionship. They live in Bangkok and often their friend of the evening pulls up in a late model BMW or Mercedes. I doubt this type of lifestyle is an option for a farang living in Pattaya.

If your friends are living in Bangkok, then they probably don't have to worry about a hotel at all. I would presume they are living in a condo or house. Wherever they're living, it probably isn't a hotel. Where does the type of hotel at which someone is staying fit into your argument?

Guest pete1969

GB, surely you jest. Many bar boys will not go to the Suriwongese or to guesthouses on Khao-san Rd either. The Maylasia has a reputation as the most budget gay hotel in BKK, and it is a well known fact that moneyboys hang out in the coffee shop and around the hotel. Many barboys, especially in bars like Jupiter and Dreamboys, would wrinkle their noses at going to the Malaysia, although most would go (but some might set the price upfront).

In face-is-everything Thailand, MOST upscale gay Thais that one would pick up from the Internet or from places like DJ Station wouldn't be caught dead in The Malaysia. Up2U is right on the money with his comments.

Malaysia is okay for guys like you and me with our BFs or for those who like to pick up the boys from the coffee shop or for those who have their sexual liasons outside the hotel (such as in short time rooms or at Babylon). However, if one comes to LOS wanting to off many boys from BKK bars and bring them to one's room, The Malaysia is not really a great choice for that IMO. Also, in face-happy Thailand, you will probably get pegged as a "lower-class sex tourist" by the every Thai who you tell you are staying at The Malaysia. You know as well as most of us that TIT and such is the lay of the land.

I think I know you well enough to know that you don't give a damn about any Thai's looking down their noses at you, but for a solo tourist wanting to mingle a lot with the locals, they have to factor in The Malaysia's reputation, and the moneyboys all hanging around the hotel, as part of making a decision to stay at the hotel.

Pete

I have to agree with Up2U and Pete1969 on this one...

Whilst I have never stayed in The Malaysia (I usually stay in Pinnacle or Babylon) I have had friends who have refused to accompany me to the 24 hour coffee shop there.

These friends were usually Bkk born University students or non-moneyboys who i had picked up in DJ or around Silom soi 2.

They didn't want to be seen in the Malaysia coffee shop as they were afraid to be classified as a moneyboy...

Bar boys that I picked up had no problem going there for an afterhours snack or drink

My Bf too has no objection to going there at all - but then he has spent a long time living in Pattaya!

They didn't want to be seen in the Malaysia coffee shop as they were afraid to be classified as a moneyboy...

I believe what you are saying, but I'm having a problem figuring out their logic. Of course, figuring out Thai logic at all is usually an enormous task, but I wonder who they think is going to see them in the coffee shop. You can't see into the coffee shop at all from the street unless you are seated in the outdoor section, and even then someone would have to struggle to see who is seated in the outdoor section. Whoever they fear might see them would have to be someone else also entering the Malaysia Hotel's property. Am i wrong?

Middle Class Guys and Professional guys, in general, would not want to be seen in the Malaysia or Suriwong for example. They are the equivalent of short time rooms in a Motel. The access to these rooms in a motel in Thailand is usually concealed behind a curtain, so that you can drive right up to the door, and have the curtain pulled so that it conceals not only you but your car.

It is a question of face, a concept that anyone living in Thailand for any period should understand.