payless

This board's posters fixation with paedophiles

Paedophilia has nothing to do with being gay, so why do people post so many articles about the subject on this gay board. Some paedophiles are gay just as some people are gay.

By posting about paedophilia here, people will start believing that it is a gay issue.

people will start believing that it is a gay issue.

But it is a gay issue for precisely that reason, in my opinion. It seems to me that most of the world already believes that and has believed it for quite some time. That's why it is discussed so much. The vast majority of gays want nothing to do with pedophilia, but every so often a person like Neil pops up and makes it difficult for everyone else. Even among ourselves there is a significant group of gays who are convinced just being in a place like Sunee Plaza makes one a pedophile.

We can discuss it or we can ignore it. I think discussing it on these boards at least makes it clear to those who read them that it is an issue we care about and discuss, and it is also something for which many of us are sick and tired of being stigmatized when in reality pedophilia doesn't even apply to the vast majority of gays in the first place.

I don't think everyone on this board or the other boards is obsessed with posting about this topic. However, when the world media has been hunting a known pedo and it is on front page of almost every major newspaper in the world and the guy just happens to be in Thailand and the world knows he was in Pattaya, it is news for this board. Personally, I wish Thailand had just sent him away to be tried in other places first as I think that would have been better for their reputation. Let him be extraidated and then bring him back. But, they choose a different route. That is their business. That also puts the media on Thailand. I can't tell you the number of people in the USA who are talking about this and also talking about Thailand. Things like this tarnish the image of the LOS and I think it has the opposite effect than most think.

There is nothing wrong with this being talked about or discussed. It is not a gay thing but this particular guy was gay and he molested young boys. That is a gay issue as well as a pedo issue. It should not be hidden away and never discussed.

Gaybutton has posted about this guy for weeks and everyone I know said, "I bet he will end up in Thailand." He did. I wish he didn't but he did. Now, it can't just be hidden away.

can he really be called "gay"? Since he seemed to prefer young boys that makes him either a pedophile or perhaps an ephebophile. Apparently he also abused some young girls, but I guess the pictures that we know about are of boys. I believe there is a distinction between preferring children and some one who you would call gay in the conventional sense who prefers adult males.

can he really be called "gay"?

That's a very good point. Apparently, if the allegations are true, he didn't make much of a distinction about whether his victims were male or female. However, the media keeps focusing on the boys he victimized, the fact that so far the only victims who have come forward are boys, and the fact that he checked into a Sunee Plaza hotel with a lady-boy in tow. Unfortunately that is serving to further many people's opinion that homosexuality is equivalent to perversion. Even if it somehow turns out that this guy is absolutely innocent, the whole matter has hurt the gay community. It will hurt us again when the next pedophile is caught.

Even this morning, the media is reporting that a third victim has come forward. A boy.