Guest lurkerspeaks

Good news for dieters

Guest lurkerspeaks

Just "discovered" that you can eat at Panda Express, and get a two entree combo, and still consume under 500 calories.. Pick the steamed veggies for the side, and mushroom chicken and string bean chicken for the two entrees. It comes to 410 calories. Even if you eat the included fortune cookie (32 calories), you are still under 500 calories for a filling and reasonably healthy meal.

• Members

I used to love Panda Express. Their two entree combo wasn't enough to satisfy me. However, since dropping several pounds, I can't even finish one entree.

For the first year of my diet, the doc didn't want me to eat rice. So, your suggestion for the steamed veggies is a great alternative.

• Members

I like the Panda Express as well. I wish I were able to go more.

OneFinger, my doc wants me to stay away from all rice and pasta. I am a rice queen. How is that possible?

Stick to the two-legged strain and you'll be ok. Even the rare three-legged strain wouldn't hurt... much. :P

Guest EXPAT

The problem I have with Panda Express is that most of the time when I go in there I don't get the sense that the food is that fresh. But I see that as an issue with many Chinese buffets so I tend to avoid that type of chinese restaurant.

Guest FourAces

The problem I have with Panda Express is that most of the time when I go in there I don't get the sense that the food is that fresh.

It kind of depends on the time o day you go and what you order. For example the orange chicken is very popular so made often especially during lunch or dinner times.

However, I do agree the rice and some of the other entrees taste like they have been sitting there longer than a Big Mac does at McDonalds :D

• Members

Except in the smallest towns or when you need something quick in a food court I can't imagine a town without several better Chinese restaurants. But you have to seek them out. Some will, in fact (hard to believe) be worse. But once you find the good ones!

I have a Panda Ex walking distance to my place and haven't eaten there in 2+ years.

• Members

One of THE BEST pieces of advice I ever heard which has been of great help to me on my diet:

If you don't LOVE IT don't eat it!

If something's bad for me, why in the world would I continue to eat it, if it's not awesome? While I can imagine craving McDs or other things, there's nothing at PanEx I'd set out to have, especially as half the time it's going to be an hours-old congealed mess.

• Members

My best recommendation is to explore the range of Thai salads. Lots of protein, great veggies and lighter sauces than what can frequently trip one up at Chinese restaurants.