TotallyOz

Pattaya - A Photo a Day for One Month

I love Thailand. I love Gay Thailand. I love Pattaya.

I also love photography. The boys and I are going to try our best to add one photo every day to this thread for the next 30 days. It will be a photo that we have taken randomly in or around Pattaya, Thailand. Some of the photos will be just a bit of fun and some will be serious. Or, so we hope as we will choose these together each night for that day's photo.

I hope you enjoy seeing Pattaya through the lens of our camera!

Photo 1: Pattaya at night

post-100001-0-50053500-1350907765_thumb.

Photo 2

Boyztown is famous for the glamor and glow of the night lights. You walk down the Soi and you are tempted by the many gogo boy bars and doormen beckoning you into their place. At nighttime, it is magical with lights of every color glowing in the dark. I often wonder if Pattaya has more neon than Las Vegas.

The daytime in Boyztown is a totally different picture. The streets are almost dead of working boys (not 100 percent as you can find that on every corner in Pattaya). But, the daytime definitely shows a different picture than most would expect of the infamous street!

post-100001-0-18109900-1350908440_thumb.

Day 3

Like I said, at night Pattaya turns from the boring shades of grey to a multitude of colors. From the neon signs that plaster the city to the colorful characters that roam the streets to the many colors that from the vendors that sell their wares, the city comes to life at night.

Pattaya is a night city. It is a place where many stores do not even open until after 11AM. Some shops even after that. I often find myself riding a motorbike for breakfast and encountering very few others that are out except a few that are wandering home after a night of partying.

This photo was taken near my condo. I am sure over the next few weeks, I'll have a few more colorful photos of the nightlife but this one pretty much sums up where my boyfriends go each night to shop for food.

post-100001-0-01861700-1350908509_thumb.

One thing that is a bit more noticeable around town is the abundance of the outdoor bars that are parked up and down the areas. Normally, the bars are made from older Volkswagen Vans and hollowed out and a bar placed inside. Sometimes the vans are painted up with beautiful neon colors, has loud music and strobe lights at night to attract a disco feel. The first one I saw in Pattaya was a few years back and I thought it was cute. Over the last year or two, the number of these have increased drastically. Now, you can pretty much find them in the tourist areas every 5 minutes of walking.

Got a vacant parking lot of night? Rent it out to the moving party vans!

Pattaya, Thailand is a city that is full of great nightlife, tons of bars and clubs but the addition of these vans tells me that some patrons can't wait to get inside the bar and must have a drink to muster up the courage to go inside. Or, they just love sitting outside drinking watching the waves of people pass by.

post-100001-0-99496000-1350789419_thumb.

Day 5: Pattaya Thailand

Pattaya is full of things for tourists to do. In fact, I would consider the city one big MF tourist trap. LOL at times at least. ^_^

That said, one of the best things I ever did in Thailand was go to the Floating Market outside of Bangkok. It was a real web of activity with the ladies bringing in the fruit and veggies from the farms around. It was also very colorful. Well, Pattaya decided to build one that tourists can go to in order to get a bit of that experience. This market is even more commercial than the other one.

But, I love the floating boats that ride around the lake and canals. I love seeing all the things that are for sale and walking across wooden bridges. It is something that is fun to do in the fair city by the sea.

post-100001-0-77549300-1350823630_thumb.

Thai’s love their temples and every city has at least one. Often, they are built upon the hills. I have been blessed with the opportunity to pray and meditate at over 100 of these temples over the years. I have been inside and knelt before monks and received blessings at many of them. One thing that every temple has is bells. These bells are often massive in size and heard from a great distance when you ring them. In Buddhism, this represents the ability to purify the temple and grounds. I have even heard it expressed that some think it pacifies the spirits that are in the temple. But, my boyfriend tells me it brings good luck. I hope this is the case, as I brought a 10-week lottery ticket before I left the USA and I was hoping to cash in from abroad.

post-100001-0-34881200-1350907105_thumb.

Muay Thai is the National sport in Thailand and the people revere the winners. Today, at the local market a match was taking place and the shopkeepers seem more interested in seeing the outcome than in selling anything. It is like being in Alabama when Alabama and Auburn are playing. ^_^

post-100001-0-51044000-1350993289_thumb.

One of the things I love about Thai people is that they love their animals. I have seen too many times a snake near the beach and I tell the boyfriend to kill it and he walks over, picks it up and walks back a few hundred feet and lets it go. OMG I say. But, they are kind to animals and they love to feed the elephants and water buffalo. This pretty creature looked hungry so the BF purchased some grass to give to it. All I could think was, “damn, this would make for a great dinner.” But, I guess that did not even cross his mind.

post-100001-0-14941500-1351137674_thumb.

One of the things I really love about Thailand is the ability to drive my motorcycle. It feels like freedom to drive in the wind by the sea. Of course, I have a scooter and in Thailand there are many kinds of motorbikes on the streets. I saw this one and could really picture myself riding it. LOL

post-100001-0-65223800-1351246794_thumb.

When in Rome, do as the Romans. When in Thailand, do as the Thais. These little "food trucks" are everything in Thailand. I have seen them from one end of the country to the other. Most Thai guys I know when they say they are going to go out and get something to eat, go to ones of these little restaurants on wheels. The food vendors are sometimes a push cart and sometimes a part of a motorcycle. In this photo, you see one of each (one push and one motorcycle.) You can find chicken satay, rice or fruits or just about everything you can think of on these little mobile stations. I usually avoid the ones with the fried bugs but hey, when in Rome....

post-100001-0-50892600-1351472385_thumb.

Guest FourAces

When in Rome, do as the Romans. When in Thailand, do as the Thais. These little "food trucks" are everything in Thailand. I have seen them from one end of the country to the other. Most Thai guys I know when they say they are going to go out and get something to eat, go to ones of these little restaurants on wheels. The food vendors are sometimes a push cart and sometimes a part of a motorcycle. In this photo, you see one of each (one push and one motorcycle.) You can find chicken satay, rice or fruits or just about everything you can think of on these little mobile stations. I usually avoid the ones with the fried bugs but hey, when in Rome....

I wonder if we will see these Thai food movers in the next season of the Great Food Truck Race :P:D:o Here are season 3 winners.

post-100094-0-34864200-1351481390_thumb.

• Members

I heard that those fried grasshoppers tend to scratch your throat on the way down... :blink:

I heard that those fried grasshoppers tend to scratch your throat on the way down... :blink:

Well, I usually make sure I wash it down with a think liquid and then the scratches don't hurt so much. ^_^

To be honest, I did try this years ago. It was not all that bad. But, my mother always said, "you can fry shit and it will taste good." That may be true as the grasshoppers were OK.

Thailand is the world's largest exporter of rice. A good deal of the economy is based on this. When you travel around the country, you will see rice farms stretching for miles and miles. It is often very beautiful and when the workers are out in the farms, it can be quite fascinating to watch. I can't think of many more back breaking type of jobs than bending over the rice all day in the hot sun. This photo is of a rice farm near my boyfriends family home. I love the bright green.

post-100001-0-26158900-1351529785_thumb.

The boys and I spent the day today at the Sanctuary of Truth Temple in Pattaya. Is pretty amazing. The Sanctuary of Truth is a gigantic wooden construction which covers the area of more than two rais. The building was constructed according to ancient Thai ingenuity and every square inch of the building is covered with wooden carve sculpture.

post-100001-0-11282600-1351617874_thumb.

Sometimes not having a great deal of money for decoration makes for a creative Interior Decorator. The boys and I spent the afternoon at a pool hall. I love Billiards and I have to admit, I suck. ;) But, I love it. These were on the top of the ceiling and I thought that was pretty clever. But, perhaps I just had too much beer to and thought anything was pretty at that point of the afternoon.

post-100001-0-47801900-1351693247_thumb.

Guest FourAces

Sometimes not having a great deal of money for decoration makes for a creative Interior Decorator. The boys and I spent the afternoon at a pool hall. I love Billiards and I have to admit, I suck. ;) But, I love it. These were on the top of the ceiling and I thought that was pretty clever. But, perhaps I just had too much beer to and thought anything was pretty at that point of the afternoon.

Looks as if you had so much beer you passed out and took the pic while laying on your back ... or did one of your BFs suggest that position :D:P^_^

Guest FourAces

Fruits. They are everywhere in Thailand.

OZ you should not refer to the gay Thai population as "fruits." What if they were to say that about Americans :P:lol::D

OZ you should not refer to the gay Thai population as "fruits." What if they were to say that about Americans :P:lol::D

"Technically, sir, tomatoes are fags." -- Japanese scientist struggling with the language

American scientist, sotto voce, to another: "He means fruits."

-- from "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" :lol: