Lucky

A Tougher Road to Broadway

• Members

Chicago theater audiences saw two plays in 2012 that were expected to be Broadway bound. Both played at the Goodman Theater, a leading Chicago house. One starred Nathan Lane, a proven Broadway winner, the other starred Diane Lane and the hunky Finn Witrock. Neither will ever be seen on Broadway in what is proving to be the toughest market in years.

The NY Times reports: "Among plays, meanwhile, two admired revivals at the Goodman Theater — of “The Iceman Cometh” and “Sweet Bird of Youth” — will not be coming to Broadway because of lack of interest from producers. Two other plays that have been announced for Broadway, “The Miss Firecracker Contest” and “The Velocity of Autumn,” are awaiting word on theaters, said the producer of both, Larry Kaye."

With 15 backstage unions to deal with, costs to mount a Broadway show are rising, and audiences are not willing to pay the increasing prices necessary to make a profit. Investors, too, are wiser, as they see several shows flop this season.

The musical Diner, previously scheduled for April 10th, has been put off until the fall. "“Diner” is only one of several musical projects that were announced or aimed for Broadway in the 2012-13 season but were delayed or canceled, in some cases because producers were not able to raise money. The other shows include movie-to-musical adaptations like “Flashdance,” “Big Fish,” and “Honeymoon in Vegas,” as well as “Rebecca” and “Prince of Broadway.”

Fans looking forward to the musical Rebecca were doubly disappointed. Not only did it not open as planned, but the investors turned out to be partially invented by a middleman now charged with fraud.

So, I guess I was lucky that I went to Chicago and saw Nathan Lane in A Long Day's Journey into Night, and Finn Witrock in Sweet Bird of Youth. Not so lucky though that both plays were good. I thought Sweet Bird stunk. Only Finn's abs made it worthwhile.

• Members

I wish I had your interest in the theater. I enjoy a play now and then but can take them or leave them. Probably others feel similarly about flying. They view it as a way to get somewhere. Generally I don't care where I am going, I just want to go. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

I love theater. I love musicals and plays. I wish I were in NYC more to see them all.

When I was in college, I spent a few weeks in London on a theater tour of London. We saw different plays each night and had actors and directors meet us after the play for drinks and a chat. One night, this very handsome man who has just been knighted by the Queen met with us. He was playing the lead role is 2 different Shakespeare plays at the theater. He chatted and I loved listening to him. :smile: Can you name that guy?

I thought I would go into theater in college and I got the lead role in Little Women. (No, not a female role) But, I got stage fright and discovered that acting was not for me. I never went back down that road. :(

Lucky, please keep us informed on what you see. I appreciate all the stories and reviews from these plays.

• Members

Right now, I am in New York doing my best to support the theater. I have seen 3 shows so far, with 3, or 4, to come. My reviews will have to wait until I get home since I can add pictures and clips using my PC that I don't know how to do on an IPad.

Visiting New York is not only fun for theater, but I get to see so many old friends. I am also going to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Central Park, and Century 21, my favorite discount department store.

On top of all of that, I will be meeting a gay grandnephew for the first time. He is living the party life in New York that I would have loved to do. Of course, I'd be dead if I had moved to New York at 21.

On the trip in. I really was lucky. Got Premium Economy to Denver, then an exit row to NYC with no one in the middle seat, and most surprisingly, my luggage was the very first one to come out to the luggage belt!

The hotel gave me a room with a view of Times Square, and the show I saw my first night was one of the funniest shows I have ever seen.

• Members
Right now, I am in New York doing my best to support the theater. I have seen 3 shows so far, with 3, or 4, to come. My reviews will have to wait until I get home since I can add pictures and clips using my PC that I don't know how to do on an IPad.

Visiting New York is not only fun for theater, but I get to see so many old friends. I am also going to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Central Park, and Century 21, my favorite discount department store.

On top of all of that, I will be meeting a gay grandnephew for the first time. He is living the party life in New York that I would have loved to do. Of course, I'd be dead if I had moved to New York at 21.

On the trip in. I really was lucky. Got Premium Economy to Denver, then an exit row to NYC with no one in the middle seat, and most surprisingly, my luggage was the very first one to come out to the luggage belt!

The hotel gave me a room with a view of Times Square, and the show I saw my first night was one of the funniest shows I have ever seen.

There is a new (relatively) Century 21 at 66th St just above Columbus Circle. Worth a look.

• Members

Apparently you can mix in Broadway and flying. ^_^ Have fun.

Best regards,

RA1