Lucky

Forbidden Broadway: Alive and Kicking

• Members

My Saturday matinee schedule was open, and I had to decide if I wanted to see Scarlett Johansonn in Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, or Laurie Metcalf in The Other Place, which is only 70 minutes long. I decided to go for funny.

Forbidden Broadway has been around for years. The show spoofs Broadway shows and is changed periodically to update itself. It has been on hiatus for some time, but the review by Ben Brantley in the NY Times said that the new version was a winner, so I decided to see it, even if only 90 minutes long!

The show plays in a really tacky theater that seems to have some connection to Puerto Ricans, or did. But one forgets that fairly quickly when the 4 performers come out. There is nothing special in the way they look, but that seems to give them the ability to become chameleons and take on the characteristics of the Broadway performers they spoof.

The spoofs come quickly, some longer than others, and virtually every Broadway show gets its due. Probably in order to change on the spur of a moment, the program does not list the shows being mocked,. But let me tell you, they do get mocked, and Forbidden Broadway is very funny. Mathew Broderick seems to get the worst of it, but all of your favorites will be on stage at some point. The satire can have a deep bite, and the laughs were free and easy. I recommend it. You don't need to be familiar with all of the shows to enjoy it.