Lucky

Los Angeles Theater

• Members

Using the word "theater" together with Los Angeles can be cringe-inducing. But I was tempted to go in and see The Gift when I got an email offer from the Geffen Theater. The cast isn't bad:

TheGift-Headshots.jpg

The email offer used some rave quotes from Variety, but I was smart enough to check the LA Times review too. The Times says that the play, a comedy, is "pretty much pointless," and "wraps itself in banalities."

The story is "not even remotely credible," according to the Times, and that saves me a trip to LA and the cost of the ticket!

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/culture/la-et-cm-jekyll-and-hyde-review-20130214,0,2494742.story

Also playing in LA is Jekyl and Hyde, a revival of the surprise Broadway hit of a few years ago. It stars Constantine Maroulis of American Idol fame, along with Deborah Cox. The show is on a pre-Broadway tryout, and if the Times is correct, and I don't doubt that they are, the theater world would best be served if the musical died in LA. Cox gets kudos for her singing, Maroulis for his acting, but the musical "runs amok." It's way too loud for the times critic.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/culture/la-et-cm-jekyll-and-hyde-review-20130214,0,2494742.story

The Times also has an article saying that the conservative Foursquare Christian church lost some 2 million dollars on the Kathie Lee Gifford Broadway musical Scandalous. Good. I lost about $65 on the show, which I left at the intermission.