ihpguy

#1 Place To Go - RIO

• Members

For 2013, the New York Times has named Rio de Janeiro as their #1 destination to vist.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/01/10/travel/2013-places-to-go.html?ref=travel

I went past the Maracana yesterday on the one-day strike for benefits by the 5000 workers was apparently over as the place was a hub of activity. The exterior has been painted and it looks like they are now onto the roof over the seats. The plazas surrounding the stadium seem to be getting the most attention at this time.

Per the article, none of my friends have mentioned one thing included except for July's World Youth Day and the planned visit by Papa Bento/Pope Benedict. No with the resignation, not so sure. The MAM (Museum Of Modern Art) in the Parque de Flamengo/Flamengo Park is having a large exhibition of the Treasures of The Vatican. First time any of the items will be sent to South America.

My favorite part of their slide show is when they describe Rocinha comunidade/favela as being near Gavea, a very chic neighborhood/bairro. A couple of GP's from the sauna I am acquainted always say that they live "near" Gavea. And I always respond as a joke, " oh yeah, Altos de Gavea(heights of Gavea)" and they chuckle. Because they know that I know that they live in Rocinha. Ditto for guys who live in Pavao/Pavaozinho and say that they live in Copacabana, for example. Much less complicated.

• Members

Rio is number one for many here. Last Sunday the LA Times wrote up Acapulco, which had recently seen an upswing in visitors after drug killings had decimated the industry. Then the rapes occurred. and the streets emptied again. I loved Acapulco, going there for 12 straight years, hiring my very first hire on the beach there. It is so beautiful, and the boys so accommodating and friendly. I am not worried about getting raped, but I do like my head attached, so doubt I will see it again.

• Members

I think I got my love for Latin America from my youth in Mexico. Unfortunately, quite a bit different now than thirty, forty or fifty years ago. From the age of 8, my family had a place there and I spent a minimum of 10 weeks per year sailing on Acapulco Bay and out into the Pacific from the Princess all of the way past Caleta and Pie de la Cuesta.

• Members

Poor Acapulco. It just can't get out of the news! here a guy was trying to keep his Mercedes from being stolen near the princess hotel...

ACAPULCO (Reuters) - A Belgian man was shot dead in Mexico's Pacific
resort city of Acapulco on Saturday, the latest episode of violence to
strike one of the country's most important tourist destinations.

• Members

One story that NEVER got coverage many years ago in Acapulco concerned shark attacks. I am unsure of the situation now, but in those days the municipal government would dump their garbage into the ocean outside of the bay. Of course, this attracted sharks. The numbers I heard were around thirty deaths per year from shark attacks. My neighbor from directly across the street, about forty years ago was on the beach at the Pierre Marques. She witnessed a younger man in his early twenties, son of an airline pilot kicking back with Dad during spring break, in something straight out of "JAWS," get disemboweled when his stomach was ripped open by a shark. She was at the most ten feet away from him in water when the waves went out of three feet. Very scary and of course the Acapulco tourist commission with the help of the press were able to keep these attacks totally out of the news in the days before the internet.