natmas02

Is there such a thing as an "off-season" for saunas in Rio?

I'm planning to go to Rio in August and wondering since it's considered "winter" over there and not as many tourists go there since it's not the summer or Carnival - does Club 117 and the like still have a good turnout during the offseason for tourists? I know it won't be as busy but I'm still hoping to have a good time. Thanks in advance for the input!

there is no off season, maybe slower in July when schools in Brazil are out, but you have to remember that 98% of the sauna clients are Brazilians! Tourists from other countries are not what they depend on to stay open! I have been to Brazil in every month of the year in the last 14 years going there and the only slow times are major holidays or election day. Christmas, new years, sauna guys are with family friends and not at the sauna. My third trip ever to Rio was August of 2002 and it was so much fun I came back in October and started me on my once a quarter visits...then some years I snuck in a 5th trip! have fun! I am leaving this coming Weds,

• Members

I'm planning to go to Rio in August and wondering since it's considered "winter" over there and not as many tourists go there since it's not the summer or Carnival - does Club 117 and the like still have a good turnout during the offseason for tourists? I know it won't be as busy but I'm still hoping to have a good time. Thanks in advance for the input!

Tomcal is correct, there is no "off season" at the Brazilian saunas.

There is, however, certain months when it is very hot in the saunas. January to March is hot. When you visit in August, you won"t have to contend with the heat. In fact, the weather should be pleasant.

If you visit in Brazil's summertime (now), the heat does not create an "off season" but it certainly influences the amount of time that clients and garotos spend in the saunas. The heat can make being in the saunas very uncomfortable. Fortunately, the heat generally doesn't bother the garotos as much as it bothers the clients. Rio is generally hotter than Sao Paulo, which also has saunas and there is no "off season" at the saunas in Sao Paulo, either.

When you arrive in August, the temperature should be pleasant but you will hear garotos claim that it is cold. Many will wear a sweater or jacket. I used to think it was funny to hear the young garotos complain about being cold or "frio" in 70 degree temperature.

I am currently in Brazil and the heat is in the 90s during the day. Despite the heat, I am happy to be here.

Have a great trip to Rio and be sure to do your "homework" with respect to scouting out the locations where you want to visit and how you will get around while you are in Rio. A good start might be to learn the Metro system for the areas you expect to visit.

Guest riosul77

As has been said above, the weather in August is delightful , cool at night, so the a/c is not necessary; (nice , electricity is expensive here) beaches not as crowded; on ave. less rain. I see no appreciable difference in garoto numbers the standard busy nights. Days are shorter for sunlight , of course.