mvan1

American Airlines fares to Brazil are dropping to all times lows

Living in Miami, the fares are always in the 1500-2000 range. Higher than anywhere else in the country. I can fly Mia-jfk-gig and fare drops to about 1k. But I noticed last week some fares were running about $975.00 from Miami. So maybe this will be a trend for a little while.

I am in Bangkok now and I paid $750.00 from ft.lauderdale, more than twice rio. It's hard to figure sometimes, but they change so fast you need to jump on it.

• Members

Living in Miami, the fares are always in the 1500-2000 range. Higher than anywhere else in the country. I can fly Mia-jfk-gig and fare drops to about 1k. But I noticed last week some fares were running about $975.00 from Miami. So maybe this will be a trend for a little while.

I am in Bangkok now and I paid $750.00 from ft.lauderdale, more than twice rio. It's hard to figure sometimes, but they change so fast you need to jump on it.

The cheap American Airlines fares are also available from the west coast for about one hundred dollars more than from New York. The fares are valid even for flights months from now.

As you wrote about the cheap fares, "you need to jump on it."

These fares won't last long.

Guest tomcal

Anybody know how I can get upgraded on American to business/first class?

You can upgrade to business / first class if they make it available for 25,000 miles and $350. additional each way. I just did that on the last trip. If you are on the AA 777W planes with the new seat configuration, the business class seats are better then the old 777 first class seats imho! Business is lay flat seats with 17" tv monitors and the seats are configured so that you don't see the other passengers across the aisle from you and every seat is a aisle seat! Also if you have Exec.Plat. status or know someone who is, they get 8 International upgrades a year. Last year two different triends of mine were not using all of theirs and I got upgraded on two different trips. The difference in cost between coach and business for example on the flight I priced for this coming September is $2000. so the $700 and miles is worth it if you can get it.

• Members

The Lufthansa credit card from Barclays is offering a 50K mile bonus now. Every time it goes to 50K I get one and do a little spend on it to get to 60K and get a free rt to Buenos AIres, Rio or Sao Paulo on United through Lufthansa. Total cost- $79.

United also has a 50K mile credit card for both personal and business now with 1st year fee waived.

Spend your $1000 on what really matters when you get there !

Guest loganguydc

I am going to Rio over holiday weekend in May. I got it for $381 on American, but I have a crazy ass routing. DCA>JFK>YYZ>CLT>MIA>GIG.

• Members

I am going to Rio over holiday weekend in May. I got it for $381 on American, but I have a crazy ass routing. DCA>JFK>YYZ>CLT>MIA>GIG.

Is that fare for round-trip or only one-way?

I agree, that routing is "crazy ass" and I am wondering how in the world you got an airline computer to give that routing and fare.

Guest tomcal

Mvan1, that's routing using the "old" USAir routes, they try to route you thru their hubs like Charlotte and Phoenix and if you want to avoid them, you have to work at it.. to entice they will usually offer lower fares(My guess is that fare is one way) I had a friend go to Rio recently from Boston and he was routed thru Toronto(yyz) out and thru Charlotte(cmt) on the return.

• Members

Mvan1, that's routing using the "old" USAir routes, they try to route you thru their hubs like Charlotte and Phoenix and if you want to avoid them, you have to work at it.. to entice they will usually offer lower fares(My guess is that fare is one way) I had a friend go to Rio recently from Boston and he was routed thru Toronto(yyz) out and thru Charlotte(cmt) on the return.

Thanks for the info. It makes sense for an airline to route people through their hubs and in the process, offer lower fares because of odd routing.

That $381 fare sure seems like it is a one-way fare, but it might not be.

There are lots of "mistake fares" that the DOT makes airlines honor. Just last month American Airlines had to honor a confirmed business class fare to Beijing that cost about $1,100. That fare is generally around $6,500.

Mistake fares are rare but they do happen.

Here is something to read concerning mistake fares and how you might go about finding one.

http://www.extrapackofpeanuts.com/airline-mistake-fares/

If you google "mistake fares" you will find other articles discussing how to find these fares.

-

I have caught some excellent fares because of airline glitches...the problem is how long the actual flight is and if you want to deal with the hassle....With the above discounted far, dude will be flying for 24 hours to get to RIO...way too long...

I use Kayak to purchase flights and wind up getting some excellent flights...

A few years ago I caught a flight on American for around $550 RT...excellent from from ATL-MIA-GIG....

I was able to get a great flight this year with the same route for $685

I will be reviewing the link on airline mistakes....

Guest lurkerspeaks

I get airfare alerts from www.airfarewatchdog.com. I just got an alert of a fare from PHX to GIG for $665...

• Members

Mvan wrote "There are lots of "mistake fares" that the DOT makes airlines honor. Just last month American Airlines had to honor a confirmed business class fare to Beijing that cost about $1,100. That fare is generally around $6,500. " heeee heee! I got an even better "mistake"fare=$449 a.i. from IAD to Bejing (via DFW) round trip in business! The base fare was $20 :hyper:

Even with the feeder flights and the Visa I needed it will still come out to under $1,000!

• Members

Mvan wrote "There are lots of "mistake fares" that the DOT makes airlines honor. Just last month American Airlines had to honor a confirmed business class fare to Beijing that cost about $1,100. That fare is generally around $6,500. " heeee heee! I got an even better "mistake"fare=$449 a.i. from IAD to Bejing (via DFW) round trip in business! The base fare was $20 :hyper:

Even with the feeder flights and the Visa I needed it will still come out to under $1,000!

Here is another side to mistake fares.

If you are a frequent flier of an particular airline and you opt in to take advantage of the mistake, you will not get any mileage credit for taking the flight.

Take a look at this additional article written last month concerning mistake fares:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2015/04/07/flying-on-a-mistake-fare-youre-not-a-customer-whose-business-we-want-to-incentivize/

• Members

Not only will I get credit for all miles flown I will actually get a lot of bonus miles-and Elite Qualifying Points for this trip.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2015/04/15/american-aadvantage-awarding-bonus-eqps-on-beijing-mistake-fares/

With the positioning flight and assorted bonuses(Elite bonus miles/class of service etc) this is going to net me approximately 35,000 miles on American.

The article you posted (http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2015/04/07/flying-on-a-mistake-fare-youre-not-a-customer-whose-business-we-want-to-incentivize/%C2'> ) was in reference to an Elite Qualifing POINTS promo (not miles) but AA has decided to go ahead and give out those point anyway in this instance.

There is no way I could qualify for status via the EQP's - my spend is not enough. But with careful planning I can qualify on the miles I fly. This might change next year as the USAir/AA merger is completed but for now I look forward to another year as an AAdvatage elite member.

• Members

Good for you. However, it seems that miles/rewards/upgrades are getting harder and harder to obtain, doesn't it? Also the service is getting poorer and poorer or so it seems.

Now to answer the question of am I envious? Actually no, although I would have accumulated 1.5 million or more miles during the time in my career when I traveled on the airlines 2 or more times per week. But all this was before deregulation and before awards were in practice.

Those of us who were "road warriors" in those days enjoyed empty airliners, relatively cheap fares and, early on, no security. I could walk directly to my gate, write out a DL scrip ticket and go on board. No worries about the plane being full, no worries about security. Just go.

Seems like a dream, doesn't it?

Well those days kind of still exist. I no longer ride the airlines and go by corporate aircraft whenever. The plane never leaves without me (the pilot) and I never leave without my pax. ^_^ Seems to work out just fine this way. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

My friend The Points Guy has a great post today on cheap fares to Brazil Enjoy!http://thepointsguy.com/2015/05/deal-alert-cheap-flights-to-brazil-from-630-rt/

Thanks for posting...I follow The Points Guy and changed my ticket in July for a reduced rate....I also will keep checking to see when the rates change for my ticket for New Years Eve-12/27-1/3 From ATL to RIO

• Members

Im using flight tracker and a ticket to SP from Raleigh/Durham with a connection in Washington DC for is $665 on united... so it looks like the other airlines are starting to match the American deals as well.

Price wars can be fun!

Guest tomcal

I just booked mid September and got the ticket for $663.00! that is the cheapest I have gotten in over 10 years!! I originally booked Orange Cty to Sao Paulo flight and it was $901. and I thought that was great but changing to LAX reduced it a additional $238. LAX is about a 45 min. longer drive for me but for $238. worth it!

• Members

I just booked mid September and got the ticket for $663.00! that is the cheapest I have gotten in over 10 years!! I originally booked Orange Cty to Sao Paulo flight and it was $901. and I thought that was great but changing to LAX reduced it a additional $238. LAX is about a 45 min. longer drive for me but for $238. worth it!

Last night I bought a LAX - GRU ticket for $657.00, taxes included. I can use an American Airlines "system wide upgrade" to upgrade to business class. That makes this round-trip flight $328.50 each direction. Usually, a round-trip business class fare runs in excess of $6,000.00.

That $657.00 fare is incredible. It is truly a gift from the airline.

I read that other air carriers are now competing with American Airlines in air fares to Brazil. Unquestionably, an air fare war is in progress. Check United and Delta and you will see similar fares to Brazil.

Eventually, these incredible fares have to come to an end. The matter will soon be like the words of an auctioneer - going, going - gone!

"Strike while the iron is hot" as the idiom is said.

For me it's usually frustrating that it costs more to fly to Rio from Miami than to Bangkok. The trip I am on now I got for $750.00. Usually fares to Rio are close to $1500.00 unless I go up to New York, then can get it around $1000.00. But I have noticed the Miami fares are now below $1000.00. I get back from Bangkok on Wednesday and will be looking to see what they have. I haven't been to Rio in a couple of years.

• Members

For me it's usually frustrating that it costs more to fly to Rio from Miami than to Bangkok. The trip I am on now I got for $750.00. Usually fares to Rio are close to $1500.00 unless I go up to New York, then can get it around $1000.00. But I have noticed the Miami fares are now below $1000.00. I get back from Bangkok on Wednesday and will be looking to see what they have. I haven't been to Rio in a couple of years.

These low fares are a first time.

They could change at any time.

If you wait until next week to make a purchase, there is no guarantee that the low fares will still be available. Tickets are purchased on line. These fares might be available next week but then again, a bird in the hand et cetera.

-