Lucky

Killing Police Immoral and Counterproductive

• Members

Protesters wanting to protest the killings of young black men by police generally did it peacefully. But I cannot condemn those snipers any stronger. They are simply wrong and what they did was counterproductive to the protest movement. It was also reprehensible, immoral, illegal and painful to the families of the cops and to those who care about the police.

Who do we call when someone hate-bashes us. rapes us, steals from us, hurts us, or a friend? We call the police. We want them to show up, to be professional, and to care. So it seems a simple idea that we have to do the same for them. My sympathies to the friends and families of the deceased Dallas officers.

rockwell+policeman+3.jpg

I agree.

However, we must also look at the number of deaths that guns cause in this country every year. There is hardly a day that goes by when someone is not killed by a gun.  It seems we might get wise and stop the amount of guns sold in the USA. I have guns.  I have all my life. But, I don't think they should be allowed by anyone.  I'd love to go to a gun free society.

We must also know that the more our economy struggles, the more people will feel disenfranchised from our country.  We must have strong policies in place to allow everyone in society to succeed.

My heart goes out to those officer's families and to others who were killed by other officers the past few days. I am sick of seeing these things happen in the USA. 

• Members

http://www.redstate.com/leon_h_wolf/2016/07/08/uncomfortable-reason-came-dallas-yesterday/

"But people's willingness to act rationally and within the confines of the law and the political system is generally speaking directly proportional to their belief that the law and political system will ever punish wrongdoing. And right now, that belief is largely broken, especially in many minority communities.

And it's the blind, uncritical belief that the police never (or only in freak circumstances) do anything wrong that is a major contributing factor to that.

It's at least as much of a factor, if not more so, than the blind, uncritical belief that the police always do things wrong - which many conservatives today are blaming in entirety for what happened in Dallas.

The truth, as always, lies somewhere in the middle, but acknowledging that requires looking in the mirror in a way that makes us all a little uncomfortable."

What happened to change through non-violence?  Is that something that is dead these days?  If so, that is very troublesome.  However, I can understand the frustration.  What leaders do we have in the Black Lives Movement or any other movement that is truly a leader like MLK or Gandhi? Do we have any?

• Members

Frustrated!!!

I just finish typing a lengthy and thoughtful response to your post. I went to send it and I got "Website is under maintenance, resend later" or something to that effect. Maintenance at 8 am in the morning? (Shaking my head)The website is often not very user friendly. This is not the first time that I have seen my posts just vanish.

So I'm not going to retype it. I will only say that I disagree with you on your assessment on what happened in Dallas, and ask you to read and re-read the link to the article that I posted, and you will find your answer to "What happened to non-violence" comment.

Everyone have a splendid day...

So sorry MsAnn.  The issue for many months has been the software Invision. They come out with a new update every few days and it is very had to keep up with them.  I truly regret the choice in investing with their company as they can't seem to get things fixed.  As soon as a good stable release is out, we will not upgrade to the newest version unless a security issue.

For long posts, I always type in a editor and then past into here.  I have done that for every site for many years.  I know that doesn't solve your problem today, but it might be less frustrating than having a good post disappear.

• Members

When I was driving today and listening to the radio talk show host talk about the demonstrations and the killing of the police.  I could only think that whenever me or my friends think of traveling to a different city or state, we are given tips and warnings of what to expect from the police in the area should we cross paths.  I'm told that if I go to Atlanta, the police are not that bad but outside of Atlanta the police are disrespectful and aggressive.

In my state, the County police are not as bad as the city police.  I have had 2 sisters on the Police force here and both talked of prejudice on the force from superiors that allowed and hired and promoted those who resembled them in thought and deed.

I don't like the killings or the violence, but just like the music of the 50's and 60's; music told what was in the hearts and minds of the people.  From the song "Billy, don't be a hero, to the song We shall overcome."  Music was the writing on the wall and told of things to come.  For years we all heard rap music talking about the coming war between the policed and the over-policed, the aggressively policed and the wrongly policed.

I myself have experienced aggressive and nasty police officers.  I have also met some very nice and kind officers.

I only hope that the killings stop, that police will work without malice and treat everyone with respect and fairness and that we all can get along.  
Will that happen?  I doubt it but it is something to hope for.