Suckrates

The La La Land Machine

• Members

Whoever devised the promotion for this movie is a genius, cause I just saw it, and I JUST DONT GET IT !

I was bored 3/4 of the movie, which they could have easily summed up in 10 minutes (which they did) and called it a day.

Both lead performances for me were just OK, I dont find Emma Stone attractive at all and the musical numbers were much more exciting inm the Trailers for the film.

The big build up and all the awards is definitely driving the box office, because I dont think they would get it if they relied soley on word of mouth....

Neither should win the Oscar...  There are much more WORTHY performances.  

• Members

Thanks so much for this post. I haven't seen the movie and have been sitting on the fence about it. Not sure it's something I really want to see.

But, a friend of mine does keyboards on Broadway. He commented that Gosling's piano shots where some of the most impressive he's seen. He even questioned if Gosling was actually playing the piano during the filming because it was so accurate.

• Members
14 hours ago, OneFinger said:

Thanks so much for this post. I haven't seen the movie and have been sitting on the fence about it. Not sure it's something I really want to see.

But, a friend of mine does keyboards on Broadway. He commented that Gosling's piano shots where some of the most impressive he's seen. He even questioned if Gosling was actually playing the piano during the filming because it was so accurate.

True, but I didnt go to see piano playing.  The film just didnt engage me the way I had hoped.  I suppose from all the hype I was expecting something Phenomenal and it just wasn't.   And I just dont get all the accolades lauded on Emma Stone.  I mean she beat out Meryl Streep at the SAGS last nite.  Are you kidding me ?   Streeps performance in Florence Foster blows Emma out of this stratosphere. 

• Members

I enjoyed the film... but it would be such an unworthy winner of Best Picture, Actor, Actress etc...

I thought the music and the songs ...and whoever decided to repeat them endlessly ...were the stars of the show.

Costumes and design, a close second.

I also liked its obvious throwback origins and the "Edward Hopper" feel to much of the cinematography.

But I kept thinking a lot of this sort of thing was done so much better in Luhrmann's "Moulin Rouge"...