kjun12

Puerto Rico

• Members

The people of Puerto Rico have certainly suffered terribly from these two hurricanes.  It will take many years to resume anything like normal life there. 

We will have to see how much America will contribute to that territory since they are not a state of the US.  But, nothing has been said about this from our President or Senators.

• Members

Seriously, it is not only Puerto Rico. Many Caribbean Islands have been devastated. One of my colleagues (I am high school teacher) is from the Virgin Islands and her brother was without contact for days, her family house is destroyed, and they are not going to have the power grid restored for months. It is terrible.

11 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

Seriously, it is not only Puerto Rico. Many Caribbean Islands have been devastated. One of my colleagues (I am high school teacher) is from the Virgin Islands and her brother was without contact for days, her family house is destroyed, and they are not going to have the power grid restored for months. It is terrible.

And with what we Homo sapiens (dreadfully ironic name) have done to the climate, it is going to be like this -- and keep getting worse -- from here on out.

We have broke the planet. The only one we have for now, as Hawking et al. point out.

30 minutes ago, RA1 said:

AS-

I think Ma Nature can take care of herself as in what you are describing about the climate.

Best regards,

RA1

I wholly agree.

She is doing so even now, beginning the tide of events that will in not too long eliminate us as pests visiting a nuisance on Her and Her planet.

The term 'tide' used advisedly.

• Members
56 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

I wholly agree.

She is doing so even now, beginning the tide of events that will in not too long eliminate us as pests visiting a nuisance on Her and Her planet.

The term 'tide' used advisedly.

Ditto! The progressive field keeps talking about "saving the planet". Earth will survive us, life will survive us, Nature is just shaking human dirt away. It is not about saving the planet, it is about keeping livable conditions for Homo sapiens. We are a microsecond in Earth's life.

The one thing that gives me some hope, but far more terror, is the experimentation into planetary geoengineering that we ever-too-clever apes are inevitably going to throw ourselves into, once the true scope and scale of climate disaster for our species hit home. (As if they had not already.)

That is going to be the greatest tampering with the lock to Pandora's box that we will ever have undertaken.

Justifiably so, though, as we have already (400ppm) cut ourselves off from any other way out.

• Members
16 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

The one thing that gives me some hope, but far more terror, is the experimentation into planetary geoengineering that we ever-too-clever apes are inevitably going to throw ourselves into, once the true scope and scale of climate disaster for our species hit home. (As if they had not already.)

That is going to be the greatest tampering with the lock to Pandora's box that we will ever have undertaken.

Justifiably so, though, as we have already (400ppm) cut ourselves off from any other way out.

We little dirty short lived warms pretending to master the planet. 

tumblr_neb672MXDg1tgmzako1_250.gif

45 minutes ago, Latbear4blk said:

We little dirty short lived warms pretending to master the planet. 

tumblr_neb672MXDg1tgmzako1_250.gif

But. You know. Geoengineering is the Only Way Out. So we may as well pursue it.

We can't make things any worse than they already are.

And I draw what faint threads of hope still seem available from my favorite-of-all idols (role models), Supervisor Karellen:

'Human beings are remarkably ingenious, and often very persistent. It is never safe to underrate them...'

• Members

I used to have hope but I gave it up for Lent one year and nothing ever replaced it.  OTOH you seem to be supposing it will matter 100 years from now (when the Dow hits 1 million, according to the oracle of Omaha).  

Best regards,

RA1

• Members
1 hour ago, AdamSmith said:

But. You know. Geoengineering is the Only Way Out. So we may as well pursue it.

We can't make things any worse than they already are.

And I draw what faint threads of hope still seem available from my favorite-of-all idols (role models), Supervisor Karellen:

'Human beings are remarkably ingenious, and often very persistent. It is never safe to underrate them...'

I tell you a secret: supervisor Karellen was created by a human, and humans have a tendency to over estimate their own importance and potential. 

tumblr_nafe4l4A3M1ry46hlo1_500.gif

3 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

I tell you a secret: supervisor Karellen was created by a human, and humans have a tendency to over estimate their own importance and potential. 

LOL

Too true!

You know his fellow scientists, when he was young and working on development of radar for the RAF during WWII, nicknamed him 'Ego Clarke.'

arthurcclarke.jpg

4 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

OTOH!

We as a species do our best when confronted with existential threats to our continuance.

So my curiosity, not my hope, keeps me going to look what might happen.