Tartegogo

RG do sur villages

• Members

When in Porto Alegre , I am thinking of renting a car for a day and driving to the villages of Gramado and Canela. Should be 2 hours drive each way according to Google.

But I wouldn't do that on my own, so do you think some of the boys would be interested in a day trip or even an overnight there? Or, for them, is it just the next door thing and not quite exotic enough?

Anyone else been there? If yes, is google correct about the duration of the driving?

one place you should go is Gramado, a town about 2 hours north of Porto Alegre.(windimg road) It is a town that looks like you have been transported to a Swiss mountain village.(get some of the chocolate)It was settled by Germans If you leave by 9:00 am get there by 11:00  leave around 2:30 and be at Mezziniu sauna by 5:00  perfect day!  Also check if there is a rodeo in Porto Alegre when you are there, I think they ususally run in the October time frame.  they are slightly different then American rodeos and are run by Gauchos from So. Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay.  a lot of fun and some cute guys! 

From Wikipedia : Gramado is a city and small tourist city, southeast of Caxias do Sul and east of Nova Petrópolis in the southern Brazilian state of Rio Grande do Sul, in the Serra Gaúcha region. The city was originally settled by Azorean descendants and later received a contingent of German and Italian immigrants. Gramado is one of the cities along the scenic route known as Rota Romântica (Romantic Route).  Winters are cold, and temperatures fall below 0 °C (32 °F) sometimes, with relatively frequent frosts and uncommon snowfalls .   winters are June, July, August in the Southern Hemisphere.  imported pine seedlings from Black Forest in Germany were planted all around the newly formed lake's rim.  it is in a hilly area 2750 ft above sea level.

gramado_003.jpg

gramado.jpg

gramado_004.jpg

• Members

Yeah, @Tomcalthat is what I said I want to do,  (I don’t think you read my post lol) thanks for confirming that it is only 2 hours drive.

i was also asking and  wondering if a sauna guy would easily be interested in joining me on that road trip, or would it be boring / deja-vu for a local Porto Alegran?

39 minutes ago, Tomcal said:

You can definitely get a boy from the sauna to go with you, one of the cousins picked me up in his car and drove me there and back! (And all he would accept is lunch! He was very proud to show me the area!

Again this is you...And wouldn't be for everybody...its great to give feedback on your own experience but you are definitely more knowledgeable about Brazil and more well known than most American....

I personally wouldnt want to go with a guy from a sauna I just met anywhere unless we interacted several times before and had some type of bond...

Note: Dont get these guys robbed or stranded because they are thirsty for companionship from random guys...Common sense is not common....

2 hours ago, Tartegogo said:

Yeah, @Tomcalthat is what I said I want to do,  (I don’t think you read my post lol) thanks for confirming that it is only 2 hours drive.

i was also asking and  wondering if a sauna guy would easily be interested in joining me on that road trip, or would it be boring / deja-vu for a local Porto Alegran?

I personally wouldnt want to go with a guy from a sauna I just met anywhere unless we interacted several times before and had some type of bond...

Note: Dont get these guys robbed or stranded because they are thirsty for companionship from random guys...Common sense is not common

Point taken!  although it has been my experience that PA guys are not as “worldly” as the guys from SP and Rio! I have found them to be good guys overall. Imho but as anyone who reads these forums “not everyone has the same experiences” a lot depends on your personality....again IMO!  Thanks

• Members
1 hour ago, Tomcal said:

You can definitely get a boy from the sauna to go with you, one of the cousins picked me up in his car and drove me there and back! (And all he would accept is lunch! He was very proud to show me the area!

Thanks, you are a star, Tomcal. 

I hope I can thank you in person in RIo or in PA. 

• Members
1 hour ago, Badboy81 said:

Note: Dont get these guys robbed or stranded because they are thirsty for companionship from random guys...Common sense is not common

Thanks, badboy, i’ll be very careful. 

I am quite “street-smart” as they say, having visited 44 countries just in the last 12 years, always on my own (or if not on my own, with clueless people).

Also not desperate for companionship, I am not going to take anyone with me, it could just be a nice addition to have someone I trust. 

• Members
On 21/11/2017 at 1:46 PM, Tartegogo said:

When in Porto Alegre , I am thinking of renting a car for a day and driving to the villages of Gramado and Canela. Should be 2 hours drive each way according to Google.

But I wouldn't do that on my own, so do you think some of the boys would be interested in a day trip or even an overnight there? Or, for them, is it just the next door thing and not quite exotic enough?

Anyone else been there? If yes, is google correct about the duration of the driving?

@Tartegogo    

I have made variations of this trip at least half a dozen times with different guys!   

And can back up @Tomcal 100% in stating have had great experiences there each time.  

Even though it is only a couple hours away, it most definitely is not the 'next door thing' or 'not exotic enough'!  For someone from PA, or even from other more 'sophisticated' capital cities in Brazil - Sao Paulo comes to mind - Gramado/Canela are considered quite high-end destinations for weekend and holiday travel, and deservedly so.  I was initially *very* concerned that, having seen some of the pics shown here, that it would be pure kitsch - which (thankfully) could not be further from the truth!

So someone you meet there, whether local or out of town, would relish the opportunity.  As @badboy  points out, and you apparently already understand, you would, like Tom and myself, have developed a rapport/trust with the guy and have tested him in a dinner date(s) situation and overnight(s) first.   

Different from Tom though, I have preferred overnights over day trips there.   And with the right guy (or guys) for a few nights on end, if you are looking for say a romantic getaway.    There are some wonderful pousadas (boutique hotels) in Gramado, replete with fireplace for those chilly evenings (it is known to snow there and did once when I was there!) and/or whirlpools in your  suite.  It also boasts some world-class restaurants.  Aside of course from all of the varied attractions during the day that Tom mentions.

A wine lover, I would usually start off the trip from PA in a different village altogether in Rio Grande do Sul - Bento Gonçalves, around their Vale de Vinhedos, Brazil's wine country.   Once there,  take a wine tour (hire a driver so that you and yours can enjoy the tastings!), select the vintages that you like, and take them with you to Gramado.    Brazilian wine, overwhelmingly reds, have improved markedly over the years, performing increasingly very well in international competitions.  It will come in handy, and save you major reais in pricier Gramado  (you can get great pricing from the winery!) for those chilly evenings.   

There are many other options.  Once on a lark,  a good friend there and I decided to visit Cotipoa (day trip) as it housed the maker of a favorite wine.   The mountainous and scenic route there was half the fun.  Whatever you decide, enjoy Rio Grande do Sul....

Guest bobbalino

Some commonalitiesnwith the lovely Niagara region west of Toronto. Though harvest VdeV is March. i think Dec visits might be comparable to magical June Niagara visits. 

IMG_8416.PNG

IMG_8417.PNG

IMG_8418.PNG

IMG_8419.JPG

IMG_8420.JPG

IMG_8421.JPG

IMG_8422.JPG

IMG_8423.JPG

IMG_8424.PNG

IMG_8425.PNG

IMG_8426.PNG

IMG_8427.PNG

Guest bobbalino

I wanted to swing up May 2016 but only had 3 days and bus times were not convenient. Maybe I won't rule out a Part II one day. I may have mentioned before, but the flight to PA during the day, if sunny and the reflections on the many rivers in the verdant green surroundings is just so, it looks like a vast network of molten gold. 

• Members

@bobbalino Your selected photos absolutely do the Serra Gaucha -  and more specifically, Bento Gonçalves, wine country - justice.  

Exactly what you get when you go there! 

Favorite months to visit are the coolest,  June - early Setember.   I generally avoid July like the plague (school holidays), overrun, and  twice as expensive.  (If combining with Gramado, remember that the second half of August coincides with their annual Film Festival, when everything there is likewise filled to capacity, with sky-high pricing.)    

Note:  I think I may have stayed in that B&B with the hot tub ("ofuro") - with that same featured guy!  LOL . 

A big part of why I prefer the winter months there.  Fireplaces in your room are also available, though more common in Gramado.  

The train ride you pictured, the Maria Fumaça, is very scenic and actually very well done, and runs to Garibaldi - Brazil's sparkling wine capital.  Wine, bubbly, hors d'oevres included in the fare.   The local guys I took all loved it.   

Have you taken the 'luxury' train from Curitiba (Parana) to Paranagua?   My other favorite train ride in Brazil.    

Yes, most of favorite wineries are listed in your tab.   But there are others scattered in Rio Grande do Sul away from Vale dos Vinhedos - such as remote Cotipoa, that I mentioned.  

Definitely worth a Part II on your part .... 

• Members

I am in Porto Alegre right NOW so this thread is very relevant.  

Thanks to @Tartegogo for the thread - although he seems to have disappeared!   LOL

Personally, I have found the saunas WAY overrated here!   But the usual app's work great, and I have met  some standout guys for hire and not for hire.

To be perfectly honest PA is very boring -  it is like suburbia so thank you @ferrarfor the awesome posts on options OUTSIDE of PA.    

Looks like it's time for an excursion.   Originally looking for day trip - but now leaning toward overnights.  

Can someone here elaborate on recommended bed and breakfasts around Gramado?   Also on specific wineries around the Vale? 

I think I may have found the right guy for a romantic adventure LOL.    Will  post later if I get a response.

• Members

Sorry I cannot help with excursion tips, but I wonder: how are you identiying Grindr lads for hire? I am in highly populated areas in Brazil but cannot sort them out. Are you audaciously, skillfully reaching out and casting the net, texting your openness to both hire and non-hire species, or are they flocking to your profile? 

Yes, I did not find PA very interesting either. After some epic fail visits to Mezzaninu, I finally did score with a GdeP who met my type-preference. But the weather was nice and a half-day on-off tourist double-deck bus to the art gallery s/w area on river was pleasant.

Good luck with your adventures!

• Members
5 hours ago, mark123 said:

I am in Porto Alegre right NOW so this thread is very relevant.  

Thanks to @Tartegogo for the thread - although he seems to have disappeared!   LOL

Personally, I have found the saunas WAY overrated here!   But the usual app's work great, and I have met  some standout guys for hire and not for hire.

To be perfectly honest PA is very boring -  it is like suburbia so thank you @ferrarfor the awesome posts on options OUTSIDE of PA.    

Looks like it's time for an excursion.   Originally looking for day trip - but now leaning toward overnights.  

Can someone here elaborate on recommended bed and breakfasts around Gramado?   Also on specific wineries around the Vale? 

I think I may have found the right guy for a romantic adventure LOL.    Will  post later if I get a response.

I have just arrived in RIo! Not disappeared at all. Check the thread “tartegogo is going to South America”.

• Members
On 02/12/2017 at 3:49 PM, mark123 said:

Check your PM's.   

You'll find specific details and recommendations.    

I honestly don't know why others here -  particularly when flying all the way down from Europe or even the States - do not venture outside the narrow confines of PA!  

• Members

@mark123. Are you going to any sauna tonight? 

I think I will. Would love to meet you in person. 

7 hours ago, mark123 said:

Back now from a week-long romantic getaway in Gramado and Canela with my new boyfriend LOL.   

Thanks Ferrar for the recommendations.    Will post in greater detail after I finish recovering here in boring PA.

• Members
On 12/4/2017 at 5:29 PM, ferrar said:

Check your PM's.   

You'll find specific details and recommendations.    

I honestly don't know why others here -  particularly when flying all the way down from Europe or even the States - do not venture outside the narrow confines of PA!  

Could you please post this info in this thread for all of us to see?  I'm thinking of planning a trip this February or later, and this sounds like a lovely excursion.  Thank you.