Lucky

Will Tomcal Wed?

• Members

I see that the replies to your  thread Tom have ranged from the sublime to the - well -downright mundane!

On the mundane side,  here is another implication  from marriage and/or civil union you would be well advised to consider.   It could result  in your acquisition of  Brazil tax residency.  In your case, naturally, you could gain the  equivalent of a green card - that is, your CIE Card, and RNE number as a Brazil permanent resident.    No more  tourist visa renewals or stay restrictions. 

As a Brazil tax resident,  however, your worldwide income and assets would be subject to Brazil tax reporting.    Note:  this may OR may not result in any Brazil tax liability.   It would all depend on your US tax position, and your use of  offsetting foreign tax credits.  

So assuming you don't want to become either a permanent - or tax - resident, you should definitely research the possibility of  maintaining your tourist status in this situation.  

• Members
1 hour ago, Tomcal said:

the guys on here that know me, know that i am a pretty happy guy always up and happy with life in general. I take things as they come and accept that we only have limited control over our lives, saying that, i am the happiest i have ever been and this and one other guy  :-) have everything to do with it!  I am going to be in Rio 8/9 - 8/20 and then back to Merida with the Paulista 9/27! then i may have to make some decisions...but it will be great whichever way it turns out!  I used to say who ever came up with the saying “the golden years” was full of shit!  maybe not so much!  

My last comment Tom was obviously on the mundane side.  On the more sublime side ....  then  why not allow yourself the possibility of actually going for it?   Keeping of course all the mundane considerations in mind -  perhaps treating them as more of a "management issue"  LOL.   

thanks Ferrar!  My intention is to continue visiting Brazil 3 or 4 times a year for 12 - 14 Days each visit, and get residency in Mexico in the future but my main Residence will stay SoCal.  The considerinably shorter flight to Mexico, coupled with the Access to great healthcare(should the need arise), the safety of living in Merida coupled with a house there i really like and a abundance of fun guys definitely i’ve Mexico the edge! As long as i can bring guys from Brazil to visit! :-)

• Members

Sure Tom and understood.    Just suggesting that before entering into a stable union or marriage scenario,  you might want to seek Brazil tax advice so as not to trigger (unwanted) tax residency in your case- and an unexpected bill!   cheers