Lucky

the jjkrkwood nyc meet-up!

• Members
5 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

My best friend long ago,'a lit'trature MA, vurru liberal etc., ;) retitled The Color Purple as...

The Colored People!

:lol:

giphy.gif

"That's some bullshit"

16 minutes ago, MsAnn said:

giphy.gif

"That's some bullshit"

i think Alice Walker has a lot of problems.

Give me Zora Neale Hurston any day.

The literary equal of Faulkner. (My god of gods.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Their_Eyes_Were_Watching_God

Guest Larstrup
1 hour ago, RockHardNYC said:

LOL. Too thin to pass.

Rumor has it that @MsAnn could headlock you with one leg, While trying on a new pair of shoes with the other. I’m not so sure I’d make that assumption if I were you. :lol:

Ps. I’m talking muscle mass, not Paula Deen obesity. 

• Members
1 hour ago, Larstrup said:

Rumor has it that @MsAnn could headlock you with one leg, While trying on a new pair of shoes with the other. I’m not so sure I’d make that assumption if I were you. :lol:

Ps. I’m talking muscle mass, not Paula Deen obesity. 

lol.gif

5 hours ago, AdamSmith said:

i think Alice Walker has a lot of problems.

Give me Zora Neale Hurston any day.

The literary equal of Faulkner. (My god of gods.)

Their Eyes Were Watching God

By Zora Neale Hurston

Published in 1937

Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board. For some they come in with the tide. For others they sail forever on the horizon, never out of sight, never landing until the Watcher turns his eyes away in resignation, his dreams mocked to death by Time. That is the life of men. ...

• Members
11 hours ago, Larstrup said:

Rumor has it that @MsAnn could headlock you with one leg

I'm sorry, did I just hear you say she has a locked leg for a head?

My gay doctor tells me that obesity is a serious killer, and it makes certain men smell grossly offensive. However, fear of the obese getting anywhere near me is not one of my weaknesses. I avoid them like the plague, no matter their skin color.

6 hours ago, AdamSmith said:

Their Eyes Were Watching God

By Zora Neale Hurston

Published in 1937

Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board. For some they come in with the tide. For others they sail forever on the horizon, never out of sight, never landing until the Watcher turns his eyes away in resignation, his dreams mocked to death by Time. That is the life of men. ...

Hurston, Racial Uplift, and the Harlem RenaissanceEdit

Where many of her fellow writers were participating first in W. E. B. Du Bois' Uplift agenda and, later, in the Harlem Renaissance, Hurston refused to comply. The renaissance was meant to be a liberating response to the restrictive standards of the Racial Uplift program, encouraging writers and artists to expose racist oppression in American society. In an essay by Nick Aaron Ford, Hurston is quoted to have to said, "Many Negroes criticise my book, because I did not make it a lecture on the race problem."[6] When asked why she choose not to comment on the race problem in her novel, Hurston replied, "Because I was writing a novel and not a treatise on sociology. [...] I have ceased to think in terms of race; I think only in terms of individuals. I am interested in you now, not as a Negro man but as a man. I am not interested in the race problem, but I am interested in the problems of individuals, white ones and black ones."[6]

Similar to Hurston, Wallace Thurman rejected both the traditional Uplift politics and the agenda of the "New Negro".[7] He organized a group of authors including Hurston to create their own magazine, FIRE!!, that would publish the African-American experience without any filters or censors. Hurston's contributions, like Their Eyes Were Watching God, used vernacular southern African-American English. Hurston viewed her work as distinct from the work of fellow Harlem Renaissance writers she described as the "sobbing school of Negrohood" that portrayed the lives of black people as constantly miserable, downtrodden and deprived.[8] Instead, Hurston celebrated the rural, southern African-American communities as she found them. In addition, Hurston refused to censor women's sexuality, writing in beautiful innuendo to embrace the physical dimension of her main character's romances. Completely rejecting the Uplift agenda, the magazine also included homoerotic work as well as portrayals of prostitution.[9] Foreshadowing the African-American community's response to Their Eyes Were Watching God, FIRE!! sold very poorly and was condemned as maligning the image of the community. A Baltimore Afro-American reviewer wrote that he "just tossed the first issue of FIRE!! into the fire".[10]

• Members

From Star Wars to Paula Deen. How does anyone define hijack? Goes to show how absolutely banal and useless the subject of this thread truly is.

Paula Deen. What a money-hungry, southern, tacky racist. Never like her or her cooking, even though I love great French butter (Bordier).

• Members
6 hours ago, RockHardNYC said:

I'm sorry, did I just hear you say she has a locked leg for a head?

My gay doctor tells me that obesity is a serious killer, and it makes certain men smell grossly offensive. However, fear of the obese getting anywhere near me is not one of my weaknesses. I avoid them like the plague, no matter their skin color.

Well since this is America, the land of the OBESE, I suggest you lock yourself away in a dank, dark cellar somewhere, and live out the remainder of your sad life ......so you wont be tainted by their existence.  Some people here might treat you like a Human being and give you some respect, but that's their mistake.   FOOL !

• Members

http://www.premierexhibitions.com/exhibitions/3/3/titanic-artifact-exhibition/blog/titanic-survivor-stories-laroche-family

TITANIC SURVIVOR STORIES - THE LAROCHE FAMILY

TITANIC%20SURVIVOR%20STORIES%20-%20THE%2

The Laroche Family

Juliette Laroche, 22, married her Haitian husband, Joseph, in her home town in France.  Although an engineer, Joseph had difficulty finding a job in Villlejuif, a southern suburb of Paris.  The couple already had two beautiful little girls, Simonne, 3, and Louise, 1.  In March, a new pregnancy was confirmed, and the Laroches determined to travel home to Haiti where prospects would be better – after all, Joseph’s uncle, Cincinnatus Leconte, was President of Haiti.

After purchasing passage on the SS France, they quickly changed to Titanic when they learned the girls would not be allowed to eat with them.  They boarded Titanic in Cherbourg, meeting new friends, the Mallet Family of Albert, Antoinette, and 2-year-old André, also bound for the same ship.   While both husbands, Joseph and Albert,  spoke English as well as French, the ladies did not.  With this advantage, the men quickly recognized the danger of sinking and therefore made sure their wives and children made it onto Lifeboat 10. 

After braving the night, these women and children still had other challenges to meet because they spoke no English.  On Carpathia, there was a lack of diapers for the two little ones, so they managed to secure dinner napkins for this more immediate need.  Both families were taken to St. Vincent’s Hospital in New York for treatment and eventually found benefactors to support them while they recovered.  Juliette and the two girls eventually returned to her family in France where Joseph, Jr.  was born on December 17, 1912.  Juliette eventually won a settlement from the government and was finally able to support her family. 

Juliette did support her family, but the devastation of losing her husband and her future stayed with her all her life.  It is not always easy to be a mother; but in 1912, after Titanic, these mothers also had to be survivors in every sense of the word and for as long as they lived.

Guest Larstrup
5 minutes ago, MsAnn said:

Juliette Laroche 1889-1980, wife of Joseph Laroche, lost at sea on RMS Titanic, April 15th 1912.

I was delighted to hear at the very end of the video that they traveled first class and unnerved Many of the white privileged class in the dining room.  That was the cherry on the top of a beautiful untold story until now.

Thanks for sharing.Thanks for sharing.

Guest Larstrup
50 minutes ago, Suckrates said:

Well since this is America, the land of the OBESE, I suggest you lock yourself away in a dank, dark cellar somewhere, and live out the remainder of your sad life ......so you wont be tainted by their existence.  Some people here might treat you like a Human being and give you some respect, but that's their mistake.   FOOL !

**scratches Rockhard off the potential RSVP list** :rolleyes:

• Members
20 minutes ago, Larstrup said:

I was delighted to hear at the very end of the video that they traveled first class and unnerved Many of the white privileged class in the dining room.  That was the cherry on the top of a beautiful untold story until now.

Thanks for sharing.Thanks for sharing.

8e501d06e8cb3b82_200.gif

Guest Larstrup
3 hours ago, RockHardNYC said:

From Star Wars to Paula Deen. How does anyone define hijack? Goes to show how absolutely banal and useless the subject of this thread truly is.

(narrator’s voice)

Rockhard desperately trying to keep up with and understand our banal back-and-forth.