Guest BKKvisitor

Foreigners Who Prey on Visitors

Guest BKKvisitor

This is an excerpt from an article about the ways foreigners in Thailand (Pattaya in particular) prey on visitors:

1. Iranian gangs normally will concentrate on larceny and theft in various hotels. They normally concentrate on credit cards using them for the purchase of items or sometimes forging a credit card and passports for travel in-out of different countries. Some sell the stolen items to other criminals; this gang tends to be violent and will not hesitate to use weapons on their victims. Iran

All these years visting Thailand and I have yet to meet one of these gangs.

Neither have I. I'm not saying that these gangs don't exist. They do exist, but if you go by the way the media tends to portray things, you would think you can't set foot outside your hotel room without being accosted by hordes of lady-boy pickpockets, drug dealers trying to sell you 'ya ba,' and motocycle gangs, along with being unable to use an ATM anywhere without someone spying on you entering your PIN number, being unable to use your credit card at all because someone will make fraudulent use of it, encountering corrupt police officers out to shake you down, bar boys who will steal anything that isn't nailed down, etc. You would think that you can't keep anything in a hotel safe because it will be stolen anyway, that all suicides are actually murders, and that all you have to do is look toward the tops of tall buildings and you'll be sure to see someone jumping off.

These problems do exist, but I doubt anyone is any more likely to encounter these things than they are in their own home towns. Probably less so.