mvan1

Major problems - truckers strike over diesel fuel prices

• Members

Truckers in Brazil are angry over fuel prices.  Part of their anger is expressed by blocking highways in large cities, including Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro.

One way tourists might get around some of the blocked highways and/or streets is to use the metro whenever possible.  Of course, this is after you get to a city from a blocked airport.  Getting to an airport could be even a greater problem because there is no metro to airports.

One bit of "advice" from the aricle says:

Individuals in Brazil are advised to confirm flights, avoid all protests as a precaution, stock up on essential goods, and allow for extra time to reach their destinations."

The worst shortage (in my opinion) is the truckers failure to deliver aircraft fuel to airports.

There are reports of delayed and canceled flights because of lack of fuel.  Some incoming flights are not allowed to land unless the airplane has enough fuel to get out of Brazil after it lands.  

For a more complete description of the problems related to the truckers strike, read this article that describes many of the problems caused by the protesting truck drivers:

https://www.garda.com/crisis24/news-alerts/122021/brazil-truck-driver-strike-causing-major-disruptions-update-1

• Members
49 minutes ago, Gotti said:

Trucks blocking highways is a common sight in Europe. It happened twice in a couple years while I was in France.

You said a similar thing is common in Europe.  However, Europe has a wonderful alternative to trucks. 

Europe has an exceptionally efficient train system.

Brazil does not have a train system except for very short routes.

A truck blockage of highways in Europe is merely an inconvenience, not a major calamity as it is in Brazil.

For the past few days, truckers have blocked many major highways in Brazil and the blockages are getting more frequent and with more highways.

Brazil relies on buses and trucks and cars to get things and people transported on its highways.  

If Brazil's highways are blocked, the economy suffers and so do the people.

Already, supermarkets in Rio and Sao Paulo are rationing food.

Today, another attempt to end the truckers strike failed.  

• Members
1 hour ago, mvan1 said:

As tourists to Brazil, why do we care about the truckers strike?

The international airport at Sao Paulo (GRU) and the international airport at Rio (GIG) are many miles (kilometers) to and from the cities.

There is no metro to and from the airports.

THE MAIN ROADS AND HIGHWAYS ARE BLOCKED BY THE TRUCKERS - 

We as visitors to Brazil will have trouble getting to and from the airports.  Flights can be missed.  It could take hours to get into town following a long flight.  Or hours getting to an airport only to arrive too late, thus missing a flight.

Clearly, anyone on this forum who visits Brazil can be negatively affected - particularly those visiting now or soon.

As a side note, I am in Brazil.  Even taking Uber or a cab to the saunas is slowed down because many major highways and streets are blocked.  A ride to Lagoa that normally takes about twenty minutes took more than one and one-half hours tonight with the driver using side streets to get around some of the traffic and blocked roads.

Check out this articled that was just published:

https://www.enca.com/money/brazil-close-to-paralysis-as-truckers-press-on-with-strike

Brazil close to paralysis as truckers press on with strike

• MONEY
  • Thursday 24 May 2018 - 11:16pm
WEB_PHOTO_Brazil_8.jpg
Truckers prepare a barbecue as they block the Imigrantes highway SP-160 during a protest against high diesel fuel prices in Sao Paulo, Brazil May 24, 2018. Photo: Reuters

WEB_PHOTO_Brazil_8.jpg

BRASILIA - Brazil appeared on the verge of a standstill on the fourth day of a nationwide truckers' strike Thursday as road blockades caused severe shortages of fuel and food, despite a move by the state-owned oil company to defuse the crisis.

Airports and gas stations were running out of fuel, food prices were spiralling and agricultural exports were hit.

Truckers have attempted to put a stranglehold on the movement of goods in Brazil to protest fuel price rises.

The increases are the result of a politically sensitive decision made in late 2016 to allow the Petrobras oil giant autonomy over its pricing, as well as a rise in world prices in recent weeks.

But the determination of the truckers has caught centre-right President Michel Temer's government flat-footed, five months ahead of presidential elections.

Petrobras yielded to pressure on Wednesday and temporarily reduced fuel prices, sending its shares plunging more than 13 percent on the Sao Paulo stock market by late Thursday afternoon.

But the truckers Thursday were still blocking main arteries in 24 of the 27 states in the vast country, which has only limited rail services.

In the port of Santos near Sao Paulo -- the largest in Latin America -- there have been virtually no arrivals or departures of trucks for three days, the management said, even if the "loading and unloading operations of ships continues normally" for now.

In the capital Brasilia, the airport was allowing only planes to land that had enough fuel to take off again.

Five other airports including Recife in the northeast and Congonhas in the economic capital of Sao Paulo, fuel reserves could run out on Thursday, the G1 news site said.

Various abattoirs have also halted operations, affecting a key export sector

A one-off measure

Prices of fruits and vegetables were rocketing in some places to 400 percent, due to supply problems.

Pump prices were also higher, and long lines formed at many gas stations.

A spokeswoman for Rio's fuel retailers' union Sincomb told AFP that the main service stations were last supplied on Monday.

"There is a lack of fuel in practically all the service stations that we have contacted," she said.

As a way of defusing an increasingly out-of-control situation, Petrobras Wednesday announced a temporary price reduction of 10 percent.

"It is a one-off measure. It doesn't represent a change in pricing policy," Petrobras chief Pedro Parente told journalists. "These are 15 days for the government to reach a deal with the truckers."

But the head of the Abcam truckers' association, Jose de Fonseca Lopes, was unimpressed. "It is not what we need,", he told CBN radio.

Temer is to meet with truckers' representatives late Thursday, following the failure of talks on Wednesday.

The movement appeared to have some popular support.

"I think that this has been provoked by poor management by the federal government," said Ana Maria Lobo, a driver waiting in line at a gas station in Sao Paulo, who also noted "all these corruption scandals."

In another temporary measure, the lower house of congress decided late Wednesday to suspend the introduction of two taxes on diesel until the end of the year.

If the Senate approves the measure Thursday, the truckers "are ready to suspend the movement" said Fonseca Lopes.

But the spokeswoman of the National Transport Confederation (CNT) told journalists Thursday that blockades would continue until the president signs the measure into law.

The proposed suspension of the diesel taxes has sparked tensions within the government.

"There is no agreement yet. I am not against it but I would like to know where the money is coming from," said the minister in charge of relations with parliament, Carlos Marun.

AFP

• Members

The observations by Mvan1 are correct. Although truck blockades are common in Europe and does cause significant disruption, is nowhere as bad as in Brazil. If I was on my way there at the moment I would try to re-arrange the dates, maybe will be OK in a week or 10 days.

• Members

I was speaking with a Brazilian friend who lives in Belo Horizionte last night, he's usually pretty sensitive and sad about the state of his country at the best of times.

He was worried it might be the start of a military coup and was likening the situation to the Handmaid's Tale or Syria, Turkey or Egypt. Surely things aren't that bad?

If there was a military coup, how would that likely affect tourists / visitors? I was looking to visit Rio in November and March?

• Members
2 hours ago, SolaceSoul said:

The irony is that the saunas in Brazil were probably at their peak in the late 1970s to early 1980s during a military dictatorship.

Would it still be a safe place to travel to if a coup happened?

Would prices likely go up or down? (for food and drink etc)

• Members
3 hours ago, redxs said:

Would it still be a safe place to travel to if a coup happened?

Would prices likely go up or down? (for food and drink etc)

There will be no coup!

The truckers and the government reached a temporary agreement for fifteen days to unblock the highways.

Those planning to visit Brazil after the temporary agreement ends, stayed tuned with Brazil news so that you do not get caught up in the strike, if the strike is resumed.

Here is the latest news on the strike and the fifteen day agreement to unblock the roads:

http://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/rio-politics/brazils-government-and-protesting-truck-drivers-reach-agreement/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Theimage.jpeg.e5ea6ecdd037c5bbaf1050999a09295e.jpegimage.jpeg.e5ea6ecdd037c5bbaf1050999a09295e.jpegimage.jpeg.e5ea6ecdd037c5bbaf1050999a09295e.jpegRioTimes+(The+Rio+Times)

Even today, after the agreement, the streets are almost empty of traffic.  This is because the truckers would not deliver fuel to gas stations.  People with cars could not buy gas to drive.

Here is a medley of various reporting on the strike that almost ruined my stay here:

Brazil schools close as truckers' strike enters fifth day - ABC News

1 hour ago - A nationwide strike by thousands of truckers brought much of Latin America's largest nation to a halt on Friday, prompting Brazilian President ...

Truck drivers' strike paralyzes Brazil - Los Angeles Times

www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-brazil-truck-drivers-strike-20180525-story.html
4 hours ago - Thousands of Brazilian truckers angry over fuel price hikes blocked roads Friday, the fifth day of a strike that led thousands of schools to close, long lines to form at gas stations and several flights to be canceled. The strike continued despite a deal reached late Thursday ...

• Members

Mvan, thanks for bringing the facts to the forum. I read this morning's article on the topic in the Washington Post but they didn't mention this temporary agreement. Lots of inequities are occurring. The chicken are eating each other! I hope it is resolved soon.

• Members
1 hour ago, Lucky said:

Mvan, thanks for bringing the facts to the forum. I read this morning's article on the topic in the Washington Post but they didn't mention this temporary agreement. Lots of inequities are occurring. The chicken are eating each other! I hope it is resolved soon.

Brazil's President Temer threatened to bring in the army to clear the roads.  

Here is another update about the strike -

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-latin-america-44258652 

Another thing, Airlines posted this travel waiver for Brazil.  Notice that UA's waiver extends until June 3 - 

Civil unrest - Brazil  (American Airlines)

If you’re traveling to/through/from:

• Belo Horizonte, Brazil (CNF)
  • Brasilia International, Brazil (BSB)
  • Manaus, Brazil (MAO)
  • Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (GIG)
  • São Paulo, Brazil (GRU)

The change fee may be waived if you:

• Are traveling on an American Airlines flight
  • Bought your ticket by May 24, 2018
  • Are scheduled to travel May 24 - 29, 2018
  • Can travel May 24, 2018 - June 3, 2018
  • Don't change your origin or destination city
  • Rebook in the same cabin or pay the difference

Current as of Saturday, May 26, 2018 8:27 AM Central. Information is updated as it is received.

Please visit Today's Operations for the current status of our operations.

•  

Travel waivers currently in effect
Event Travel to/from/connecting through Original travel date(s) Additional information
Brazil Industrial Action

Airports:

• Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (GIG)
  • Sao Paulo, Brazil (GRU)

Original travel date(s):

May 25, 2018 - May 29, 2018

Flight changes:

• The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing between May 25, 2018, and June 3, 2018, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
  • For wholly rescheduled travel departing after June 3, 2018, or for a change in departure or destination city, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply. Rescheduled travel must be completed within one year from the date when the ticket was issued.

On 5/25/2018 at 6:55 AM, redxs said:

likening the situation to the Handmaid's Tale 

This may be a little or a lot extreme...a gas strike don't compare to a total government overthrow because there are issues with healthy child birth rates/fertility issues due to extreme toxic waste and environmental issues...

There seems to be an issue with supply and demand which is odd since Petrobas owns so much gas/petroleum reserves...

Maybe the strike is happening to increase the cost of fuel

A friend of mine in Rio said they are canceling university classes due to such a few number of buses on the road...

This has made me rethink my upcoming trips to Rio...

Getting to the airport to Copa on the bus is how I get to my apartments and the metro does not go as far as the airport....with the shortage of buses Im sure the metros are even more packed than normal

On 5/24/2018 at 2:20 PM, mvan1 said:

Truckers in Brazil are angry over fuel prices.  Part of their anger is expressed by blocking highways in large cities, including Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro.

One way tourists might get around some of the blocked highways and/or streets is to use the metro whenever possible.  Of course, this is after you get to a city from a blocked airport.  Getting to an airport could be even a greater problem because there is no metro to airports.

One bit of "advice" from the aricle says:

Individuals in Brazil are advised to confirm flights, avoid all protests as a precaution, stock up on essential goods, and allow for extra time to reach their destinations."

The worst shortage (in my opinion) is the truckers failure to deliver aircraft fuel to airports.

There are reports of delayed and canceled flights because of lack of fuel.  Some incoming flights are not allowed to land unless the airplane has enough fuel to get out of Brazil after it lands.  

For a more complete description of the problems related to the truckers strike, read this article that describes many of the problems caused by the protesting truck drivers:

https://www.garda.com/crisis24/news-alerts/122021/brazil-truck-driver-strike-causing-major-disruptions-update-1

The issue is not shortage, its more in the increase in the cost of fuel....And Petrobas is at at the center of everything...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2018/05/25/brazil-truckers-strike-petrobras-diesel-prices/#f0b4aa9486c2

• Members

This is becoming a real inconvenience now.  Uber is more expensive now because of greater demand.   

The hotel (4 star) just informed me today they are under-staff now because some people can not get to work.  My room did not get cleaned today.  There was a note under my door saying clean towels and shampoo/soap will be provided upon request.  The room service (food) this evening finally came 1.5 hour after ordering, and I ordered salad and hamburger!!  I don't think I will enjoy my stay in Brazil if things get even worse.  My Brazilian friend told me this situation is politically motivated.  There is an election coming up.

• Members
17 hours ago, Walker said:

This is becoming a real inconvenience now.  Uber is more expensive now because of greater demand.   

The hotel (4 star) just informed me today they are under-staff now because some people can not get to work.  My room did not get cleaned today.  There was a note under my door saying clean towels and shampoo/soap will be provided upon request.  The room service (food) this evening finally came 1.5 hour after ordering, and I ordered salad and hamburger!  I don't think I will enjoy my stay in Brazil if things get even worse.  My Brazilian friend told me this situation is politically motivated.  There is an election coming up.

Was the hamburger at least hot?  

With so little help in room service, food often sits around after it is cooked.  Cold food is not for me, especially a hamburger - yuk!  

Like you expressed, I also experienced the Uber hike in fees ostensibly because of the strike. 

While getting ready to summon an Uber to take me to GRU, the price quoted in the Uber app was more than twice the usual price to GRU. 

Before I clicked the button to summon Uber, I saw a cab sitting in front of the building.  I asked the cab driver if he had a flat rate to GRU.  He quoted me only R$100 which I immediately accepted.  Of course, when we got to GRU, I gave him a hefty tip since his price was lower than Uber.   

I got to GRU without encountering any truckers blocking the highway.