kjun12

Official Word From US Embassy

• Members

U.S. Mission in Thailand to Cease Providing Income Affidavit

October 26, 2018

Bangkok, THAILAND

As of January 1, 2019, the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok and the U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai will cease to provide the income affidavit for the purpose of applying for Thai retirement and family visas and will not notarize previous versions of the income affidavit.  The Royal Thai Government requires actual verification of income to certify visa applicants meet financial requirements for long-stay visas.  The U.S. government cannot provide this verification and will no longer issue the affidavits. 

Please consult the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington, D.C. and Royal Thai Immigration Bureau websites for information on how to meet the requirements for a Thai retirement visa or extension.

2 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

If I am right, that is almost 2k U$S. I thought that is a lot of money as monthly income to live in Thailand. Am I wrong?

It depends on your lifestyle and what you want to do and how much you want to do it. Living in Bangkok is not cheap, but could be easily done on 2k per month but not with many trips to the bars. Short times on apps are about 60-70 USD. Food is cheap if done on your own but Western restaurants are more expensive.

• Members
58 minutes ago, TotallyOz said:

It depends on your lifestyle and what you want to do and how much you want to do it. Living in Bangkok is not cheap, but could be easily done on 2k per month but not with many trips to the bars. Short times on apps are about 60-70 USD. Food is cheap if done on your own but Western restaurants are more expensive.

Thanks for educating me. But I still do not fully understand. Based on previous posts in this thread, I had the impression that the 2K minimun requirement was considered too high by the posters. However, you are telling me that it is not. What am I missing?

• Members

LatbearI don't know shit about Thailand  but my best guess is that the authorities (for whatever reason) do not want to compete for foreigners with marginal incomes looking for a cheap place to retire.

Or maybe it's just an incompetent bureaucracy running wild.  :rolleyes:

• Members
24 minutes ago, MsGuy said:

LatbearI don't know shit about Thailand  but my best guess is that the authorities (for whatever reason) do not want to compete for foreigners with marginal incomes looking for a cheap place to retire.

Or maybe it's just an incompetent bureaucracy running wild.  :rolleyes:

What confuses me is that, based on @TotallyOz's report, the cap should be higher in order to do so. It is probably incompetency, you're right.