kjun12

Chiang Mai Visit

• Members

If you do not know, Chiang Mai is the second largest city in Thailand and in the very North of the country.  Per capita, it surely has more farang (foreigners) than Bangkok and can be very nice to visit.  Our journey was by bus overnight and I must admit that the thought of 10 hours on the bus made me cringe but it turned out to be not as bad as I feared because this special bus has only one seat on each side of the isle and is quite comfortable and adjustable which made it easy to sleep.

Our visit there was primarily to see the lantern festival which is held in conjunction with the Loi Kratong festival. Several hundred paper lanterns are released into the sky for several hours by many people participating in the event and everyone is standing around enjoying the evening.   After we got a thrill out of the lanterns lighting up the sky that night like hundreds of stars we left the next day for Mon-Jam where there is a resort in the mountains which has cabins or tents for rent.  The weather was cool and very pleasant and negated the requirement for air conditioning.  In the evening we ate outdoors at a picnic table where we were served a Mookrata. Different meats and vegetables are provided to self cook on a charcoal burner which is brought to the table.  Fun and good eating for a couple of hours.

Next day we left for home a bit tired but thinking of a fun event.