BlkSuperman

Paying Garatos in Rio

• Members
24 minutes ago, BlkSuperman said:

Hope all is well. Would the garatos in Rio mind if they were paid for their services in US dollars instead of Brazalian reals? Has anyone ever used dollars in the saunas as a form of payment after a program with a garato? Thanks!!

I think that first responders to your willing bttm's triage would prefer reais. Few would know the correct exchange. Why go thru the extra step transacting when it already whittles down the bromance?

You would also be paying less dollars than a year ago and much less than 5 yrs ago, notwithstanding pay inflation, for the same service as then because of deflation in real value. They are likely not on top of that, but it means a lower figure on paper. 3 digits sounds and looks better. (Well, 2 for some insistent clients). 

But money is money. Suum cuique. 

Edited by Riobard

• Members
1 hour ago, BlkSuperman said:

Hope all is well. Would the garatos in Rio mind if they were paid for their services in US dollars instead of Brazalian reals? Has anyone ever used dollars in the saunas as a form of payment after a program with a garato? Thanks!!

A tl:dr answer to your question:

Most garotos would not want to be paid in any currency other than Brazilian reais. Paying in USD or any other non-Brazilian currency would require them to incur about a 10-15% currency exchange hit at a cambio.

The only three incidents I could envision a garoto accepting USD (or any non-Brazilian currency):

1. The garoto is about to travel to another country and can use that currency there;

2. The client agreed to pay an extra 10-20% to cover the currency exchange fees; or

3. The garoto just likes to collect currency from around the globe, like coin collectors or stamp collectors.  

Edited by SolaceSoul
Fat fingers.

• Members

I tried to use leftover € over CHF with Koruna-bred guys at Paragonya in Zürich, tennisace. These garatos grumbled at being put upon until I helped them realize they were getting a good deal. But they'd have still preferred francs. 

• Members
1 hour ago, SolaceSoul said:

A tl:dr answer to your question:

Most garotos would not want to be paid in any currency other than Brazilian reais. Paying in USD or any other non-Brazilian currency would require them to incur about a 10-15% currency exchange hit at a cambio.

The only three incidents I could envision a garoto accepting USD (or any non-Brazilian currency):

1. The garoto is about to travel to another country and can use that currency there;

2. The client agreed to pay an extra 10-20% to cover the currency exchange fees; or

3. The garoto just likes to collect currency from around the globe, like coin collectors or stamp collectors.  

When I read the read the thread-- what you cited, "Most garotos..."  immediately came to mind.  Obrigado!

Edited by axiom2001

• Members
8 hours ago, SolaceSoul said:

I think number 3 above is theoretical. I just cannot think of a garoto de programa collecting world currencies. 

• Members
30 minutes ago, pauleiro said:

I think number 3 above is theoretical. I just cannot think of a garoto de programa collecting world currencies. 

I met a few who have asked me to give them a few US dollars, just out of curiosity. However, it was never in lieu of payment in Brazilian reais. When requested, I would give a $1 or $5 bill for their collection.

• Members
9 hours ago, BlkSuperman said:

I agree with previous posters, most garotos would not like being paid in a currency other than their own. 

On a side note, if you live in the U.S. and have an ATM card, it is so easy to get local currency from ATM machines in Brazil.  ATM machines are in many places throughout Brazil.   You will usually get a better exchange rate than if you exchange at a cambio.  

Be careful, do not use ATM machines at night or in obscure places.  

If you find yourself leaving Brazil with too much local currency, you can pay your hotel bill with the excess and your credit card to settle the full amount. 

Or, you might like Brazil so much, you will want to keep the local currency for your next trip. 

Boa viagem 

Edited by mvan1

15 hours ago, BlkSuperman said:

I thought this was  rhetorical questions until I saw people actually responded...

I would assume more people want to be paid in the currency that is used in said country...