mvan1

American Airlines - a major carrier from the U.S. to Brazil

• Members

A mechanic for American Airlines intentionally disabled safety features on an aircraft about to take off - 

When caught, the mechanic gave some lame excuse about why he intentionally disabled critical features on the aircraft. 

The aircraft could have crashed with the features disabled.  

There were 150 people on board as the aircraft headed toward the runway for take off.  

Below is a link to the latest information about the nut who could have caused the death of innocent people.  

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/06/us/florida-american-airlines-mechanic-faces-sabotage-charge/index.html

Although I prefer United Airlines, I often use American Airlines for my Brazil flights.  

• Members

I don't suppose we all really do not want to know what goes on behind the scenes at airline maintenance, do we?  In summary, various airlines have different levels of "approved" maintenance.  I have said before and I will say again, I prefer US airlines, not so much for their sterling maintenance but for the US system of ATC.  I will and have ridden foreign carriers.  However, the list is limited.  BA, CP, ANZ, SA, AF and a few others are on my preference list.  Plus a few others.

As an insider I have to say it is all too easy to get past the various safeguards extant.  That makes it obvious why I prefer to choose who I ride on.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Here is a new addition to this story...........

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/isis-video-found-on-phone-of-airline-mechanic-accused-of-sabotaging-airplane-in-miami

An American Airlines mechanic accused of sabotaging an airplane in Miami this July reportedly had ISIS-sponsored video content on his personal phone.

Abdul-Majeed Marouf Ahmed Alani was accused earlier this month of inserting an object into the navigational system of the airplane that would tamper with airspeed readings. The plane detected the mechanical error shortly before taking off from Miami to the Bahamas and was promptly taken out of service, forcing 150 passengers to deplane and seek out other methods of travel.

Alani, who was reportedly seen on video tampering with the airplane, alleged that he was motivated to do so because he was dissatisfied with employment contracts and hoped the mechanical issue could translate to more overtime pay for himself.

Prosecutors in federal court on Wednesday, however, allege that Alani had downloaded an ISIS propaganda video to his cell phone, which he sent to other unnamed individuals. Prosecutors also alleged during the Wednesday bond hearing that Alani confided to coworkers that his brother was involved in ISIS.

The U.S. attorney further stated that Alani had traveled to Iraq earlier this year, a fact which he had confided to his roommate, because his brother had been kidnapped. He also reportedly transferred $700 to an unidentified recipient in Iraq this past July. Alani's phone is said to contain a news article about Lion Air flight 610, which crashed off the coast of Indonesia in October 2018 killing all 189 on board.

• Members

Note to self: Amtrak Adirondack to NYC, skirt all other US cities by flight, and use Air Canada, Aeromexico and Copa for points south.

BTW, a Canadian airline I use for LRDominican, AirTransat based in Montreal, is merging with Air Canada, whose stock has about quadrupled over 4 years.

• Members
1 hour ago, Riobard said:

Note to self: Amtrak Adirondack to NYC, skirt all other US cities by flight, and use Air Canada, Aeromexico and Copa for points south.

BTW, a Canadian airline I use for LRDominican, AirTransat based in Montreal, is merging with Air Canada, whose stock has about quadrupled over 4 years.

Riobard...I am all IN for  AirTransat's  non-stop from Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver.... I got a great price too and excited to try them out!

But, I'll stick with my nonstop AA to Rio regardless of Isis or anything/anyone else! :D

• Members
20 hours ago, Riobard said:

I think the merger will mean miles collection interchange among ACan, Transat and United, etc, but not quite yet, I assume Transat will be Star Alliance

It looks like they are comfortable remaining independent at least for now....

Air Transat has received the Best North American Leisure Airline by the Skytrax World Airline Awards for four consecutive years. These votes have been made by travellers across the world and factors range from boarding, seat comfort to customer service.

Air Transat Frequent Flyer Program and Partnerships

By travelling with Air Transat, you can earn Air Miles on every flight, calculated at 1 base reward mile for every $35 you spend on a vacation package, cruise or charter flight operated by Air Transat.

They currently do not have a frequent flyer program as their mandate is to cater to the majority of travelers and offer them discounted fare during holidays rather than a small minority.