TotallyOz

Lil Nas X won two Grammies

• Members

Lil Nas X

I'm very happy a recording artist, particularly a Black one, can come out as gay and have a successful career without any backlash. That's how I define progress for gays.

My musical taste is pretty strict these days. The older I get, the less I fantasize about owning a record label. (Yes, at one time, I did the research. I've known several A&R guys who were not happy in their jobs.)

My ears can't tolerate anything that remotely sounds like country music (regardless of my ability to honor and recognize serious talent). I've always hated doing business in the South. I don't find most Southern accents (or Confederate mindsets) very appealing. In fact, some make my skin crawl. Like it or not, I'm a Northern snob. Therefore, even though I find it fascinating that a young, gay, Black man would dabble in country-light, this isn't music for me.

The Grammy's

It's always been a challenging night to get through. I've been to the Grammy's too many times, and those are painful memories. It's a very difficult awards show to get through without serious drugs.

Given the long overdue scandal this year with CEO Deborah Dugan, many of us veteran show biz folk thought the Grammy's might finally die the death it deserves. It's always been a fixed, rigged contest, and most everyone in the industry has known. But musicians love to celebrate their gifts.

The sudden death of Kobe Bryant changed everything last minute for the show. They were lucky the show got through it, and I have to say, Alicia Keys deserves a lot of credit. Her opening monologue to the tune of Lewis Capaldi was BRILLIANT. Keys is a genius.

Congratulations to Lizzo, too. I never thought I'd see the day when a fat, Black, mama-type would command the Grammy stage and almost demand that everyone stop fat-shaming. I don't think she succeeded in making FAT the next new thang. And considering most executives in show business disdain fat, it doesn't help that the fashion industry HATES it more. Lizzo's taste in clothing, mostly bolts of tacky fabric, is AWFUL. Like most extremely fat artists who manage to climb to the peak of their 15 minutes, let's see where Lizzo is in five years.

I'm also glad Tyler the Creator uplifted the struggling wig business. However, his talent is not what I call music.

Ariana Grande is no Vicki Lester, but she delivered an emotional punch equal to news of Kobe's death. Her need to re-start her hauntingly beautiful ballad made the glimmer of tear on her face more compelling. I hate to see any talent suffer at the hands of addiction. Please God, let us find a cure soon.

The super surprise of the evening was due to Billie Eilish and her brother Finneas. The last time I knew of a super-talented brother and sister team making incredible music in their bedrooms was a group known as Karen and Richard Carpenter. Much like Karen, Billie Eilish offers a mature voice for a mere eighteen-year-old. And she offers a performance equal to the depth of Maria Callas. Incredible.

I do love genuine musical talent. But the business of music in crazier than CRAZY.

Nice post! I agree with much of what you said.

I had a crush on Lil Nas before he came out and I have watched him and read about all this wins and struggles. It is great to see him on there doing such a fantastic job. He got dissed for a post about his win as it should have been for Coby only. But, for any young black male to do so well, is a triumph and one so cute and gay makes it better.

• Members
16 hours ago, bucky13 said:

How could any "veteran show biz folk" confuse Ariana Grande with Demi Lovato ?

Easy. My executive brain goes dead sometimes, trying to store and manage the abundance of information it currently holds dear. Thank God for the assistants. That's why I pay well.

Thank you for pointing out a mistake I make over and over again. Ironically, just the other day, I was telling a business friend how much I confuse the two names, and have been doing it for a long time. I don't have a good reason why it happens. It's a mental block. I don't follow either artist in any notable way.

Another good reason to complain about the timed EDIT feature here. We members who attempt to produce and contribute thoughtful posts are forced to suffer the indignity of appearing less than perfect, if not demented, because we can't go back to correct our brain farts when they are discovered by others.

Is there any truly intelligent reason why the EDIT feature must remain as it is? Why can't it be changed to become more user-friendly to this board? Would Oz object to putting the issue to a member vote?