asdsrfr

Colombia trip report--Bogota, Medillin, and Barranquilla Carnival

• Members
3 hours ago, cactusjack75 said:

Great trip report!  Did you go to Club Tobi while in Medellin.  So many have posted great things about this place so curious if you went.

I thought I had read somewhere on this forum that Club Tobi had closed. My local friends weren’t sure and since my time in Medellin was limited I didn’t check it out.

• Members

My impression of Barranquilla carnaval was that it's much more family-oriented than Rio's (which I have not yet experienced). I didn't see any disorderly conduct, public peeing, and no, this was not a circuit party (blech!) so hardly any shirtless chests. Well, there were the kids, some of whom were not kids, wearing little more than black grease paint in a tradition that some woke northerners will soon tsk-tsk them about, but that's a whole nother weird story. When I went, I did find several super fun, and free, street parties, but LOTs of pickpockets. Let's say I donated some electronics to the local economy. The Colombians are insanely friendly and outgoing, so it was hard to tell what's just hospitality and what's interest. I got an unaccustomed amount of attention from stunning ... girls, some of whom didn't seem to be hookers.

• Members
On 3/5/2020 at 9:59 PM, floridarob said:

I got robbed in MDE also many yrs ago, got Devil's Breath (scopolamine) blown into my face, woke up 1.5-2 days later with nearly everything stolen from my hotel.

After my friend's experience getting drugged in Medellin--and after hearing your experience I decided to read a bit more about the drug used. I came across this very good but rather scary documentary about the use of the drug in Colombia to rob people. You can watch it here free on Amazon Prime if you have any interest. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B07H3BPTQP/ref=atv_dp_share_cu_r

I remember now on my first trip to Colombia I stayed at a gay hotel in Bogota (that ironically was run by a very friendly older straight couple) and they warned me about this. They told me the story of another guest who they tried to warn and they said he was like "I don't need to hear this--I've travelled all over the world and I know how to take care of myself." Sure enough he was drugged in Chapinero (the gay area of Bogota) and lost quite a sum from his ATM. 

Colombia is a wonderful place with a lot of good people. In 5-6 trips there I have never had a problem personally--but as the saying goes "You aren't in Kansas anymore!"

On 3/6/2020 at 12:59 AM, floridarob said:

I got robbed in MDE also many yrs ago, got Devil's Breath (scopolamine) blown into my face, woke up 1.5-2 days later with nearly everything stolen from my hotel.

You glazed over this...How did this happen?  Were you on the streets or in a hotel room with some random guy that you met?

Did he just blow some strange dust in your face?

Thanks

Picked up someone at a gay bar downtown. That's the last thing I remember before waking up in my hotel a day and a half later with most of my stuff stolen, including clothes.

I called hotel security and they showed me a video with me coming back with 2 guys and a girl (a girl, wtf?).

Security told me I was very lucid and said they were with me.....he's the one that told me about Devil's Breath, I thought it was alcohol related , or someone put a roofie in my drink.