pauleiro

Diseases (not for hypochondriacs)

• Members

In particular in Brazil, there is a significant growth of cases of syphilis (+ 4000 % growth in 8 years. 250000 identified cases per year). This is only 0.1 % of total Brazilian population infected per year, but it is much higher in young people and even higher in prostitutes. According to recent study 20 % of female prostitutes were infected without being aware of it. Even posters in the Rio metro remember the situation of syphilisx. In addition, syphilis which can be cured easily if detected early, is often asymptomatic (as well as other STDs) so it is likely that the number of cases are much higher than the previous figures.

There is also a significant increase of cases of dengue (in particular in the state of Rio de Janeiro). Avoid being biten by mosquitoes !

There is also an increase of cases of measles ("sarampo" in Portuguese).

• Members

Important. I recently wrote about syphilis here and the cascade effect from our CSWs making babies making whoopie, under the radar Dx, and congenital sequelae.

Dengue spiked several hundred percent. I have had one, likely 2 subtypes here. High risk for hemorrhagic if exposed again. Brought a net canopy this time for the terrace on my little cobertura. It can be swung over the hammock as well. Interestingly, otherwise, I have not had many sightings and I have had no bites.

515546EA-8B38-4134-8D41-8DA8457F8107.jpeg

• Members
5 hours ago, averagejoe said:

Interesting-has there been an explosion of unprotected sex?

Anal is certainly rarely unprotected but oral activities are often performed without condom and syphilis can be transmitted in this case

20200312_055313.thumb.jpg.9b6b4e54e9a54a22078b6882bce7ca4d.jpg

It can also be transmitted through deep tongue kissing. I was amazed to see so many total strangers deep tongue kiss during the Carnaval. Many were bringing posters to be kissed. This one below had a sign on which it was written on one side : " STOP" and " AND KISS ME" on the other side. He accepted everyone (men and women). In the 5 minutes I looked at him, he performed 3 times ...

20200312_061317.thumb.jpg.2ce3abbc22564de545ff61a44bffb650.jpg

5 hours ago, pauleiro said:

Anal is certainly rarely unprotected but oral activities are often performed without condom

I respectfully disagree! the statement i made above was regarding anal sex not oral! i have had oral sex with well over a 1,000 Brazilians and never once did i wear a condom nor would i during oral! My point  was once you have been with a guy more then once they let their guard down and frequently will offer bareback, at least that is my experience!

before posters start saying “you risk getting any number of STDs/diseases” let me say that i have never had a STD or a Veneral Disease in my life! Have i been lucky? Is it worth the risk? In my opinion that is up to each poster to decide for himself! 

• Members

@TomcalI totally understand your point.

Of course :

3 hours ago, Tomcal said:

it is up to each poster to decide for himself! 

My point was not on anal sex with or without condom but was pure information on syphilis so that people can decide in full knowledge.

Sucking without condom was not a problem until recent years and the risk of catching syphilis by sucking without condom was extremely low.  In 2020 the situation is different : because the number of cases is very high in Brazil, because many boys, even well educated are not aware of the situation and are not tested for syphilis and because the disease can be asymptomatic. 

Now of  course everyone decides for himself. Personnally, I suck and am sucked without condom and I respect the wish of the boy if he wants absolutely to use a condom. And I am tested for syphilis at least once a year. And I never had STDs.

• Members

I am qualified, having worked in Infectious Diseases 30+ years, consulted internationally in HIV research, and moderately published in the STI lit, my work cited 100s of times. Though emphasis in syphilis not figured prominently. 

And ... I am a pig.

About 20% of cases of syphilis among MSM are acquired exclusively through oral intercourse, that is, any anal component was protected. The oral risks for hetero men and women are less pronounced.

Furthermore, the day prior to receiving a Dx, often life-shattering, the fellow’s accurate historical claim was: “Never have I, etc.”

Many/most of these new cases Pauleiro references? New cases. 

Be autonomous, be considerate, but “what you get away with” is a cognitive bias. Boggles my mind how some people conceptualize probability in the inverse direction.