Badboy81

Whats really going on in Rio?

• Members

Coronavirus protest in Brazil sees millions bang pots from balconies

People in Brazil have expressed anger at President Jair Bolsonaro's handling of the coronavirus pandemic by banging pots and pans together on balconies.

Millions of protesters in the cities of São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro appeared at windows on Wednesday evening calling for the president to step down.

It was the biggest protest against Mr Bolsonaro's government to date.

There are over 500 cases of the virus in Brazil, including two government ministers. Four people have died.

Mr Bolsonaro, who has previously dismissed precautions taken against the novel coronavirus as "hysteria" and "fantasy", has been criticised for his response to the deadly outbreak.

However 14 people who travelled with him to Florida to meet President Trump have tested positive for the virus.

Is Latin America prepared to fight coronavirus?Politics and protest at São Paulo's street parties

Wednesday's loud protests began during a televised statement by the president in the afternoon, then resumed with more intensity at an agreed time later in the evening.

People in tall buildings and houses across the country banged empty pots, switched their lights on and off and shouted "Bolsonaro out!"

Mr Bolsonaro used his televised address to announce emergency measures to limit the spread of the virus, and a financial aid package to support the economy and low-income families.

Appearing alongside his top ministers, all wearing face masks, the president acknowledged the "gravity" of the pandemic, but added: "I want to calm the Brazilian people... we can't let ourselves go into hysteria."

However, he admitted that there were likely many additional cases not included in the official statistics.

The Brazilian government also said it would ask Congress to declare a "public state of calamity" due to the coronavirus pandemic.

It was not enough to appease the protesters.

On Sunday, Mr Bolsonaro was criticised for coming out of reported self-isolation to mingle with thousands of his supporters who were marching in protest at Brazil's Congress and judiciary.

His health ministry had earlier warned against attending large gatherings.

• Members

In a different thread, I mentionned the interest of the daily synthetic articles published by Tomas Pueyo. When I started to follow him, 15 days ago, his articles were only written in English and 10000 people had read them 

Now 40 Million people worldwide have read articles which have been translated in 20+ languages.

20 minutes ago, he put on line a petition for the White House.

Sign it and share it if you think it is worth.

----------------------

We have a petition for the White House!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/buy-us-time-fight-coronavirus-and-save-millions-lives-hammer-and-dance-suppression-strategy

I was told this is the best way to get traction and a response from the government. It only needs 100k signatures, which pales in comparison with 40M view we got for the last article.

Share it and let's get this to the top!

• Members
On 3/18/2020 at 4:57 AM, Latbear4blk said:

I am very concerned about the situation in Brazil. Italy could be nothing compared to what they are incubating over there. My April trip is of course canceled, and I doubt I will be able to visit in July, my next traveling window.

I worry about Brazil too because it is one of my most favorite travel destinations.  I don't care about Italy.  I am not interested in Italy, have never been to Italy and probably will not.

• Members
13 hours ago, pauleiro said:

In a different thread, I mentionned the interest of the daily synthetic articles published by Tomas Pueyo. When I started to follow him, 15 days ago, his articles were only written in English and 10000 people had read them 

Now 40 Million people worldwide have read articles which have been translated in 20+ languages.

20 minutes ago, he put on line a petition for the White House.

Sign it and share it if you think it is worth.

----------------------

We have a petition for the White House!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/buy-us-time-fight-coronavirus-and-save-millions-lives-hammer-and-dance-suppression-strategy

I was told this is the best way to get traction and a response from the government. It only needs 100k signatures, which pales in comparison with 40M view we got for the last article.

Share it and let's get this to the top!

The current administration occupying Thr White House doesn’t give two shits about petitions. They barely even care about public opinion. 

• Members

I don't know what's going on in brazil.  I'm still holding out hope that it will be safe for me to visit in May.  

Here in Delaware, we are asked to stay in our homes.  I'm working part time from home and will probably only go in 2 days this week.

Today I went shopping, most of the stores are closed but the weekend Farmers market had a line for the produce section and only allowed a certain amount of people in at a time after giving us all some hand sanitizer to use..

Later I visited my local grocery and the pickings were slim.  No fresh meats and can good gone.  There were some foods in abundance, the healthy stuff with zero trans fats and vegi meat substitutes.

One thing I am enjoying is the increased online participation of the guys of Brazil.  A lot of new updated profiles and pics.