Guest Larstrup

The Organ

Guest Larstrup
On 1/29/2018 at 7:47 AM, MsAnn said:

Elton John has comforted many of us during our time of grief. Rest in peace Ryan White. Without your courage at such a young age, so many more of us would have been lost; without the life saving congressional Ryan White Act in your name. 

E0_FA31_C8-_ADD5-48_FE-_BA53-98537_F5868

Guest Larstrup

oops I forgot the video.

EDIT: Never mind obviously I didn’t and it’s suddenly there, or maybe I really did and a higher power Intervened.

1 minute ago, AdamSmith said:

;)

image.w335h380b3.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warp_drive

The Next Generation onwards [edit]

Only three stories in the original Star Trek series involved the Enterprise traveling beyond Warp 10 ( Warp 11, briefly, as a result of Nomad's "correction of inefficiencies" in the antimatter control system in "The Changeling"; Warp 11 again in "By Any Other Name" after the Kelvans modify the Enterprise's engines for greater sustained speed to make the trip from the Milky Way Galaxy to the Andromeda Galaxy; and Warp 14.1 in "That Which Survives" after the ship was put through a Kalandan transporter, beamed parsecs away from where it had been, and reassembled slightly out of phase). In The Next Generation, such stories were rare, and usually involved a malfunction in (or alien interference with) a starship's engines. A new warp scale was drawn up, with Warp Factor 10 set as an unattainable maximum (according to the new scale, reaching or exceeding Warp 10 required an infinite amount of energy). This is described in some technical manuals as "Eugene's limit", in homage to creator/producer Gene Roddenberry. Warp 8 in the original series was the "Never Exceed" speed for the hulls and engines of Constitution-class starships, equivalent to the aircraft VNE V-speed. Warp 6 was the VNO "Normal Operation" maximum safe cruising speed for that vessel class.[4] The Warp 14.1 incident was the result of runaway engines which brought the hull within seconds of structural failure before power was disengaged.[5]

The limit of 10 did not entirely stop warp inflation. By the mid-24th century, the Enterprise-D could travel at Warp 9.8 at "extreme risk", while normal maximum operating speed was Warp 9.6 and the maximum rated cruise was Warp 9.2. According to the Deep Space Nine Tech Manual, during the Dominion War, Galaxy-class starships were refitted with newer technology including modifications which increased their maximum speed to Warp 9.9.

In the episode "Where No One Has Gone Before" the Enterprise-D was shown to exceed Warp 10, traveling 2.7 million light-years from their home galaxy in a matter of minutes (though the ship's extreme velocity was due to the influence of an alien being and could not be achieved by starship engines). The Intrepid-class starship Voyager has a maximum sustainable cruising speed of Warp 9.975; the Enterprise-E can reach a maximum velocity of Warp 9.999[citation needed]. In the alternative future depicted in "All Good Things...", the series finale of The Next Generation, the "future" Enterprise-D travels at Warp 13, although it is never established whether this is truly "above" Warp 10, or simply the result of another reconfiguration of the warp scale.

• Members
24 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warp_drive

The Next Generation onwards [edit]

Only three stories in the original Star Trek series involved the Enterprise traveling beyond Warp 10 ( Warp 11, briefly, as a result of Nomad's "correction of inefficiencies" in the antimatter control system in "The Changeling"; Warp 11 again in "By Any Other Name" after the Kelvans modify the Enterprise's engines for greater sustained speed to make the trip from the Milky Way Galaxy to the Andromeda Galaxy; and Warp 14.1 in "That Which Survives" after the ship was put through a Kalandan transporter, beamed parsecs away from where it had been, and reassembled slightly out of phase). In The Next Generation, such stories were rare, and usually involved a malfunction in (or alien interference with) a starship's engines. A new warp scale was drawn up, with Warp Factor 10 set as an unattainable maximum (according to the new scale, reaching or exceeding Warp 10 required an infinite amount of energy). This is described in some technical manuals as "Eugene's limit", in homage to creator/producer Gene Roddenberry. Warp 8 in the original series was the "Never Exceed" speed for the hulls and engines of Constitution-class starships, equivalent to the aircraft VNE V-speed. Warp 6 was the VNO "Normal Operation" maximum safe cruising speed for that vessel class.[4] The Warp 14.1 incident was the result of runaway engines which brought the hull within seconds of structural failure before power was disengaged.[5]

The limit of 10 did not entirely stop warp inflation. By the mid-24th century, the Enterprise-D could travel at Warp 9.8 at "extreme risk", while normal maximum operating speed was Warp 9.6 and the maximum rated cruise was Warp 9.2. According to the Deep Space Nine Tech Manual, during the Dominion War, Galaxy-class starships were refitted with newer technology including modifications which increased their maximum speed to Warp 9.9.

In the episode "Where No One Has Gone Before" the Enterprise-D was shown to exceed Warp 10, traveling 2.7 million light-years from their home galaxy in a matter of minutes (though the ship's extreme velocity was due to the influence of an alien being and could not be achieved by starship engines). The Intrepid-class starship Voyager has a maximum sustainable cruising speed of Warp 9.975; the Enterprise-E can reach a maximum velocity of Warp 9.999[citation needed]. In the alternative future depicted in "All Good Things...", the series finale of The Next Generation, the "future" Enterprise-D travels at Warp 13, although it is never established whether this is truly "above" Warp 10, or simply the result of another reconfiguration of the warp scale.

In aircraft, speeds such as Vne are technical limits not absolute limits.  However, one must be aware that if one does exceed such a limitation, one is indeed a test pilot.  There are numerous notable exceptions.  SR-71 Blackbird pilots have been known to say, if I needed to go faster, I did.  Nothing like an anti-aircraft missile for encouragement.  

Best regards,

RA1

2 minutes ago, RA1 said:

In aircraft, speeds such as Vne are technical limits not absolute limits.  However, one must be aware that if one does exceed such a limitation, one is indeed a test pilot.  There are numerous notable exceptions.  SR-71 Blackbird pilots have been known to say, if I needed to go faster, I did.  Nothing like an anti-aircraft missile for encouragement.

'Missile approaching! Commence evasive action!'

maxresdefault.jpg

11 minutes ago, RA1 said:

Best regards,

RA1

And of course Kirk and Spock and Scotty never hesitated to hurl whatever craft they were piloting entirely past all its design limits, if that was the only path to survival.

SLING IT AROUND THE SUN AT TOP WARP TO GRAVITATIONALLY ACCELERATE US PAST WARP 10 [ASSUMING THE SPACEFRAME HOLDS!] AND BACK INTO THE 20TH CENTURY, TO BRING US SOME WHALES BACK...!

B)

...Scotty: 'Captain, there be whales here!' :smile:

• Members
5 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

And of course Kirk and Spock and Scotty never hesitated to hurl whatever craft they were piloting entirely past all its design limits, if that was the only path to survival.

SLING IT AROUND THE SUN AT TOP WARP TO GRAVITATIONALLY ACCELERATE US PAST WARP 10 [ASSUMING THE SPACEFRAME HOLDS!] AND BACK INTO THE 20TH CENTURY, TO BRING US SOME WHALES BACK...!

B)

...Scotty: 'Captain, there be whales here!' :smile:

I didn't realize the 747 appeared in any Star Trek episodes.  ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

11 minutes ago, RA1 said:

I didn't realize the 747 appeared in any Star Trek episodes.  ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

You know, Neil Armstrong assumed that the same safety margins were built into the LM by Northrup Grumman. He knew the documented engineering limits said YOU HAVE TO TOUCH DOWN NOW TO SURVIVE, WITHOUT ANY FOOLING AROUND [to paraphrase].

But he said afterward, about the treacherously low fuel levels close to lunar landing:

'I thought that if we ran out of fuel ten or twenty feet or so from touchdown, I could just drift down.
The manuals said NO. But I thought the low gravity would let the landing-gear spring take it up.'

[Or some such language.]

Then he said [again paraphrasing]: 'We went there to land. That was what we were going to do.'

Guest Larstrup
1 hour ago, Lucky said:

Confidentail to Callipygian: I am glad that you no longer think I am a cunt.

That’s “Frankly” very “Rich” of you to assume.

Guest Larstrup
7 minutes ago, Lucky said:

You would know!

This is why I never wanted children; yet at the same time, always enjoyed other people’s pets.