AdamSmith

The pianoforte

1 hour ago, Buddy2 said:

Huh. Joan Bennett was the star of a five episode a week soap opera?

Lordy.

The best ever.

220px-Joan_Bennett_in_Dark_Shadows.jpg
Bennett in TV's Dark Shadows

Bennett received star billing on the gothic soap opera Dark Shadows for its entire five-year run, 1966 to 1971, receiving an Emmy Awardnomination in 1968 for her performance as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard, mistress of the haunted Collinwood Mansion. Her other roles on Dark Shadows were Naomi Collins, Judith Collins Trask, Elizabeth Collins Stoddard PT (parallel time, as the show described its alternate reality), Flora Collins, and Flora Collins PT. In 1970, she appeared as Elizabeth in House of Dark Shadows, the feature film adaptation of the series. She declined to appear in the sequel Night of Dark Shadowshowever, and her character Elizabeth was mentioned as being recently deceased.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Bennett

• Members
15 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

Link?

I can't post a link on my phone. However,  birthdays of Ms. de Havilland have been noticed in Europe and the United States since at least her 100th birthday four years ago. She is the only star left from Gone with the Wind.

• Members

I didn't know author and playwright James Kirkwood's parents were silent film stars. His mother, Lila Lee, attended the opening night of one his Broadway shiows and was surprisingly mobbed by autograph fans..

Kirkwood is known for "A Chorus Line" and the star vehicle flop "Legends."

On 7/1/2020 at 7:06 AM, AdamSmith said:

The marvelous, magical Harold Bloom, yet again. The most human being I have ever known.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n5Ejzb_LtGU

To repeat, kind of meaninglessly: I loved this person more than only 2 other people in my life.

if you knew him (just in the classroom), he gave so much.

7 hours ago, MsAnn said:

Buckley’s infrastructure and under-structure is about as hollow as can be found

His originating document, the book God and Man at Yale, is as big a piece of lying-shit right-wing crazy as could be thought of.

But it sparked multiple generations of crazy.

...Colonel Kenneth D. Nichols, district engineer of the Manhattan Engineer District, wrote of Groves: "First, General Groves is the biggest S.O.B. I have ever worked for. He is most demanding. He is most critical. He is always a driver, never a praiser. He is abrasive and sarcastic. He disregards all normal organizational channels. He is extremely intelligent. He has the guts to make timely, difficult decisions. He is the most egotistical man I know. He knows he is right and so sticks by his decision. He abounds with energy and expects everyone to work as hard, or even harder, than he does... if I had to do my part of the atomic bomb project over again and had the privilege of picking my boss, I would pick General Groves."

Groves' biographer, Robert S. Norris, dubbed Groves "The Manhattan Project's Indispensable Man."

https://www.atomicheritage.org/profile/leslie-r-groves