Riobard

EU incoming travel safe list

• Members

It’s already sloppy and mystifying at the get-go. 

Two of the 14 countries are well above the 1.16 rolling weekly average-per-day threshold based on 16 ‘allowable’ cases per 100,000 on a 14-day duration, not taking into account higher estimates based on asymptomatic / presymptomatic status or on testing uptake rates.

Two countries show an uptick just short of the threshold. I wonder how much context is taken into account. Were the Balkan ones based on an assumption of epicentre isolation? Will Canada stay on the list at review time because a recent increase is attributable to migrant produce workers in a circumscribed region? 

CBD27336-DD16-4C04-A5C1-36DA7DFA5B68.jpeg

Edited by Riobard
Spacing

• Members

I dont know how the UK got on the approved list with the virus mess it's in. United gets 17% of its revenue from Europe flights and BA is more dependent on US flights. I hope Merkel's got deep German pockets to afford all the European bankruptcies.

• Members

Given the UK trend, considering the decision is not based on cumulative damage, take Belgium for example (though I realize it is within the EU  collective that screens nations), but the selection examines recent prevalence, I’d have half-expected the green light for Brits. It is dropping close to the threshold and has a higher testing record than the majority of continental Europe. As some continental nations do not meet the defined criteria (eg, Portugal), we can anticipate a degree of discretionary exceptionalism for inclusion. 

3151AEF4-B098-47E9-8DC6-C1D23ADF0F42.jpeg

• Members
1 hour ago, Riobard said:

Tempted to fly off to Zürich and/or Barcelona but I don’t count on Paragonya and Thermas, both operational, to be representative of community prevalence and transmission risk

What do you mean ? In sauna, depending on what you and how you do it, transmission risk must be much higher. 

• Members
19 minutes ago, pauleiro said:

What do you mean ? In sauna, depending on what you and how you do it, transmission risk must be much higher. 

LOL. I didn’t say higher or lower. I thought the reserved tone in my qualifying ‘but ...’ conveyed the realization that coronavirus loves these venues as preferential breeding grounds. See my recent sobering calculations for Rio.