asdsrfr

Participate in Vaccine Trial?

• Members

Moderna, one of the major developers of a possible Covid vaccine in recruiting volunteers for their stage 3 trial in my city. As a healthcare worker I am in a high risk group for exposure so I qualify to sign up to get the shot. Of course I could get the placebo but I could always check my antibodies to see if I got the real shot. Would you guys risk it or wait for an approved, fully tested vaccine?

• Members

I thought that there were many antibody tests in the pipeline that vary in their viral infection targets (eg, nucleocapsid, spike) and the types of antibodies detected (eg, IgG, IgM, Pan-Ig, various combinations), so I am not sure how you would match up an antibody test designed to detect true natural infection with the specific antibody production generated by a unique RNA vaccine that I think differs by virtue of not being a live attenuated virus or recombinant vaccine version or any number of the other more conventional non-RNA options being investigated. 

I don’t have the expertise to answer but I assume that these trials can perhaps thwart the unblinding of your randomized arm assignment simply by virtue of the unavailability of antibody assays that have the sensitivity and specificity required to assess the immunization signature of the particular vaccine administered. 

If one major factor in your decision is the assumption that you can ‘gumshoe’ your assignment status, it may be worthwhile to look into this further.

You could always apply to enrol. You might not be selected and the decision would be taken out of your hands. Or you could change your mind at the screening/consent stage, no harm no foul, you won’t be the only one. In any case, there is some lead time to explore a few other candidates currently or imminently entering final phase research. 

Edited by Riobard

• Members

It is evident that I will not be eligible for CoV vaccination for about another year, based on projected supply chain and low priority status. Therefore, have entered a Phase 2/3 double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Baseline blood and urine chemistry panel a few days away. 

Edited by Riobard

• Members

As a frontline healthcare worker I received the Pfizer vaccine when it was first released a few weeks back. I had zero side effects other than a sore arm. In fact I ran 7 miles the day after the second shot. I encourage everyone to ge the vaccine as soon as it's available to you. It is the only way we are going to get out of this mess!