kjun12

New Orleans and Thailand

• Members

Friends who have been there tell me that the Big Easy is dead these days.  Very little to no activity and almost all of the bars are closed.  How sad for such a formerly super fun city. 

Even worse is that it is estimated that 80% of the restaurants there will fail and be closed permanently.  This evil Covid 19 is a really mean mother but not much we can do about it. 

My whole life is in a holding pattern because I cannot return to my home in Thailand.  As much as I would like to totally blame Trump for this, the fact is that the Thai Government is allowing very few foreigners into the country and particularly Americans are  Persona Non Grata.   I really miss my boyfriend/partner.

57 minutes ago, kjun12 said:

Friends who have been there tell me that the Big Easy is dead these days.  Very little to no activity and almost all of the bars are closed.  How sad for such a formerly super fun city. 

Even worse is that it is estimated that 80% of the restaurants there will fail and be closed permanently.  This evil Covid 19 is a really mean mother but not much we can do about it. 

My whole life is in a holding pattern because I cannot return to my home in Thailand.  As much as I would like to totally blame Trump for this, the fact is that the Thai Government is allowing very few foreigners into the country and particularly Americans are  Persona Non Grata.   I really miss my boyfriend/partner.

I don't think it is Americans at all. I think it is just everyone. They have made it hard for anyone to come in. I know you miss your boyfriend but I do think you will be allowed back in before the end of the year. There are hoops to jump through like Covid test within 72 hours of flight and quarantine hotel for 15 days. But, all in all, it is happening now for those with work permits from USA. I have had 3 American friends land in Thailand in the last week and now in hotels. One just got out of hotel. They were all part of the first wave of people being allowed in. I do think more without permits will be allowed but I don't see the required quarantine hotel changing anytime soon.

I have also noticed businesses close but many are just adjusting hours if they are restaurants. Import/Export businesses are hurting as not much is coming into the country right now.

All that said, I feel safe being here. I hope things do not change that feeling. However, I hope the rules change to allow anyone willing to quarantine into the country.

7 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

I don't think it is Americans at all. I think it is just everyone. They have made it hard for anyone to come in. I know you miss your boyfriend but I do think you will be allowed back in before the end of the year. There are hoops to jump through like Covid test within 72 hours of flight and quarantine hotel for 15 days. But, all in all, it is happening now for those with work permits from USA. I have had 3 American friends land in Thailand in the last week and now in hotels. One just got out of hotel. They were all part of the first wave of people being allowed in. I do think more without permits will be allowed but I don't see the required quarantine hotel changing anytime soon.

I have also noticed businesses close but many are just adjusting hours if they are restaurants. Import/Export businesses are hurting as not much is coming into the country right now.

All that said, I feel safe being here. I hope things do not change that feeling. However, I hope the rules change to allow anyone willing to quarantine into the country.

You know I asked the question in Gaythailand.....however, I believe that before then end of the year, they will allow tourists in without quarantine. Insurance, yes, like Brasil now.

we're 5 months , more or less into this. People can't stop living/working....everyone isn't Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, or TotallyOz :D 

Time will tell, I bet by December, we will see things change....not because they are better....but because they must, for survival.

15 hours ago, floridarob said:

You know I asked the question in Gaythailand.....however, I believe that before then end of the year, they will allow tourists in without quarantine. Insurance, yes, like Brasil now.

we're 5 months , more or less into this. People can't stop living/working....everyone isn't Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, or TotallyOz :D 

Time will tell, I bet by December, we will see things change....not because they are better....but because they must, for survival.

You could be right. I hope you are not. I hope the quarantine goes through mid next year.

People are working here in most area except those only for tourists. Most have found other jobs.

I am not sure the government will do anything for survival as the people want protection and are unhappy when anyone gets into the country without following the quarantine. It seems to be popular here even among the Thais.