bucknaway

Cellphone Service in Brazil

In 2019 during my visit to Brazil, I used upgraded my (USA) T-Mobile service for international use.  I think it cost me an Extra $25 USD to allow me to have 3G internet on my phone while in Brazil.  It worked fine for the most part but it lost signal in the Subway.  For those of you that didn't know, if you use google maps to guide you while on the subway, if it has internet connectivity, I till tell you waht direction to walk as you are underground headed to your train and it will tell you what stops the train is at and when to get off the train.  It's pretty helpful for me with my vision problems...  

I am wondering what the local Sim Card's offer?  I will be in Brazil for a little over 2 weeks in Sao Paulo and Rio.

Any advice or reference links you could share on local Cellphone service would be appreciated.

• Members

Without Brazilian ID, activating a prepaid sim through the official telecom store is a very painful and time consuming experience. Not surprising, since for a visitor that is going to stay in Brazil for only a couple weeks, they are really not making any money off you. The easiest way I found is to buy a prepaid sim in the kiosks (the many small mobile stores selling magazines and small things, 1 street in from the beach along Copacabana). Almost all of them have prepaid sim from various providers. The last time I was there in 2019, you can get prepaid sim including 1 gig data for 1 week cost 20R. To activate it, I tip a boy in the sauna so that he helped me activating it  using his id and personal info. Recharge is easy, can be done in most supermarkets with cash, was 10R for each additional week (1 gig data).

2 hours ago, gap1972 said:

Without Brazilian ID, activating a prepaid sim through the official telecom store is a very painful and time consuming experience. Not surprising, since for a visitor that is going to stay in Brazil for only a couple weeks, they are really not making any money off you. The easiest way I found is to buy a prepaid sim in the kiosks (the many small mobile stores selling magazines and small things, 1 street in from the beach along Copacabana). Almost all of them have prepaid sim from various providers. The last time I was there in 2019, you can get prepaid sim including 1 gig data for 1 week cost 20R. To activate it, I tip a boy in the sauna so that he helped me activating it  using his id and personal info. Recharge is easy, can be done in most supermarkets with cash, was 10R for each additional week (1 gig data).

Great advice!  My first stop is Sao Paulo but I am sure your advice can be considered universal for the most part.  (Gold Star)

• Members

I am still using my VIVO prepaid from 5 years ago. Top up via recharge.com once every few months when I am not in BR to keep it active. Its also my Whatsapp Business App number separate from my normal Whatsapp app (Both can be installed on the same phone). VIVO coverage is decent; never had an issue with internet in many of the cities in BR.

Got mine from the official VIVO shop in one of the mall

• Members
13 hours ago, Alaskabear said:

I use a google pixel and use their google fi service.   I believe it’s available in 200 some countries.  But it’s amazing to land anywhere and get cell and data service.    

Vow! Lucky Americans! google fi rocks! I would have picked that if I live in USA. Of course, no chance it will be allowed to operate in Canada. It will drive all local mobile providers out of business! The cheapest Brazil data add-on from Canadian providers I can find is 80$ for 8 days with 1GB allowance 🤬