reader

Aviation notes: past and present

From Thai Enquirer

Thai authorities defend deserted airport terminal in Phetchabun

https://www.thaienquirer.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/271673646_1348304268941382_8597046774350654025_n.jpeg

Photo credit: Thailand Infrastructure

The Department of Airports responded to social media complaints on Thursday over the new vacant terminal building at Phetchabun Airport, 400 kilometers north of Bangkok. They said the terminal will reopen after the Covid-19 pandemic subsides.

Earlier this week, the Facebook page, Thailand Infrastructure, questioned why the government opted to build a new terminal building instead of renovating the existing one. The post drew plenty of netizens’ comments that the terminal is a waste of money.

The Phetchabun Airport opened in the year 2000. But it has not operated any commercial flights since late 2018, while construction on the new terminal began in 2019. 

Today, Phetchabun Airport is open for non-commercial charters, such as official flights, training flights, and private flights, the department added.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/36512/thai-authorities-defend-deserted-airport-terminal-in-phetchabun/

==================================

From Richard Barrow Twtter site:

Today is National Aviation Day (วันการบินแห่งชาติ) in #Thailand. Did you know, Bangkok had two landing strips on the Chao Phraya River for flying boats? First in Khlong Toei and then later in Nonthaburi. The British owned Imperial Airways used to land here in the 1930’s.

NOTE - Imperial became part of BOAC in 1939

====================================

Once one of the the truly great long-haul carriers, in the course of three years Chinese authorities have transformed it into a mere shadow of itself. Here's the latest effort.

From Bangkok Post
Cathay Pacific to suspend transit travellers from high-risk areas

HONG KONG: Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd said on Thursday that transfer and transit services at Hong Kong International Airport will be banned to passengers coming from places deemed at high risk of coronavirus from midnight on Jan 16 until Feb 15.

High-risk places including the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, France, Germany and Japan.

Passengers on flights arriving from cities in the Chinese mainland and Taiwan may continue to connect to onward flights, the airline said in a statement on its website, saying the measure is in response to the rising number of cases driven by the Omicron coronavirus variant around the world. 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/2247071/cathay-pacific-to-suspend-transit-travellers-from-high-risk-places-from-jan-16

Cathay Pacific must be in a desperate financial state. The territory has some of the most draconian anti-covid and quarantine measures in the world and passenger numbers have crashed. At least 50% of its fleet is now parked in Australia and Spain. It has been closing down its overseas pilot bases - decades ago it transferred many of its long haul pilots from expensive Hong Kong to their home countries in the UK, New Zealand and Canada - and offering early retirement to many employees. Last year it received a US$5 billion bail out from the government but that will have long been spent. The one bright spot is that its cargo business is better than before the pandemic.

Whenever traffic picks up for the airline, some form of major restructuring will be essential.     

I hope Cathay survives.

It's one of my favourite airlines and I always travelled with them when visiting Japan. Their schedule was very convenient, the food choice was varied and always delicious and the cabin crew were efficient and friendly, personally welcoming me aboard with a smile.  I also have a sentimental attachment to them.

I would like to get back to those nice direct EVA flights and their premium economy seats.

What I have learnt in the last 2 years is that the economy seat fitted to some 777s is a very uncomfortable abomination, whilst the economy seat on the A380 was surprisingly comfortable.

Too many airlines are changing the seating on their 777s from 9 across in economy to 10, as CX has done. CX has also reduced seat pitch to add in 2 more rows. All that was before the pandemic! Totally agree with z909. Economy seating on the A380s have always felt comfortable.

Here's a series of photos taken about 4 years ago with A380s on 3 adjacent bays in Hong Kong. I wonder if we will ever see that again.

image1.jpeg.5a8ad74cb9941a72c6fb3d8a62f66b91.jpeg

image2.jpeg.c8af4874c8d74f61d24d5276243680a3.jpeg

image3.jpeg.f86ce8f9c26f778efb461d72c0d50c3d.jpeg

When I fly to Europe I go with Emirates on their a380.  I love everything about it- especially the size. 

I deliberately make sure I'm sleepy when I get to the airport. I then board and go straight to sleep! 

I'm surprised to see the a380 taking to the air again. I wonder how long they will last before they are replaced.

I flew the A380 with Qatar three times and enjoyed the smooth ride. It was a quiet aircraft with the luxury of space. Unfortunately, it was that size that, in the end, led to its downfall.

In 2019, Lufthansa had retired 6 of its 14 A380s due to their unprofitability. Later that year Qatar Airways announced a switch from A380 to Boeing 777X starting from 2024. That sane year, Airbus announced it would end A380 production by 2021, after its main customer, Emirates, agreed to drop an order for 39 of the aircraft, replacing it with 40 A330-900s and 30 A350-900s.

Then CEO Tom Enders said "If you have a product that nobody wants anymore, or you can sell only below production cost, you have to stop it."

It should continue to be a good fit for carriers like Qatar and Emirates for several more years. Their great feeder routes from passenger-rich Europe work due to the advantage of geography. Beyond that, the smaller but fuel efficient A350 and Boeing 787 are the aircraft of choice along with newer versions of the A330 and Boeing 777.

As I understand it, some airlines have brought back the A380 to cope with the post Delta variant surge in desire for travel. To retrain its flight crews, Singapore Airlines is even running the aircraft on some of its short haul Singapore/Kuala Lumpur services.

I have flown both Qatar and Emirates A380s. I found the Emirates version better, especially if you pay for the upstairs biz class. The stand-up bar at the back is a great addition. Not sure if it will continue post-pandemic, but EK used to extend one of its daily Bangkok services to Hong Kong. At around 14,000 baht with lounge service at both ends, flat bed seating, huge video screens and premium liquors, it was an unbeatable price.

12 hours ago, PeterRS said:

As I understand it, some airlines have brought back the A380 to cope with the post Delta variant surge in desire for travel. To retrain its flight crews, Singapore Airlines is even running the aircraft on some of its short haul Singapore/Kuala Lumpur services.

One of the reasons for the short flights were in preparation for reintroducing the A380 into service between JFK and Frankfurt, with continuing service to Singapore sometime in March.

From Travel and Leisure / Yahoo

Singapore Airlines Is Bringing Back A380s

Singapore Airlines' A380 aircraft is set to return to New York City for the first time in almost two years.

Beginning March 2022, Singapore Airlines will fly from New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport to Changi Airport via Frankfurt on their newly upgraded aircraft. Due to COVID-19 restrictions and lower passenger numbers, Singapore Airlines' A380s — the world's largest passenger aircraft — have not flown from the U.S since before the pandemic.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/singapore-airlines-bringing-back-a380s-110100228.html

From Channel News Asia

Hong Kong suspends transit flights from most of the world

HONG KONG: Hong Kong will suspend for a month transit flights from about 150 countries and territories considered high risk because of the coronavirus, deepening the global financial hub's isolation.

The move comes as the city has seen about 50 cases of the fast-spreading Omicron variant since the end of last year.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/hong-kong-suspends-transit-flights-covid-19-omicron-2435456

13 hours ago, vinapu said:

that's paranoia through and trough 

Hong Kong is part of China and therefore what happens in China happens in Hong Kong. China is desperate to prevent more possible outbreaks because it is hosting the Winter Olympics in a couple of weeks. Draconan measures will not cease for the time being.