reader

Why Thailand needs to have healthy conversations about sex

From Thai Enquirer

Sex is a rarely discussed topic in Thailand, and it’s been like this for centuries. But conversations around sex education with a focus on gender identity and sexuality are finally starting to change.

Chaitong Yingpeant, an adult content creator who prefers to use an anonymous name, told Thai Enquirer that the country suffers from a long history of distorted information about sex. It’s a problem rooted in conservative beliefs, he said, one where traditional opinion is that young Thais should avoid sensitive conversations about sex in their entirety.

“Thai society now misunderstands sexuality,” Chaitong said.  “Adults and the government need to focus on providing proper sex education. If people receive correct information, then there will be less misunderstandings about sexuality and sexually transmitted diseases.”

He believes that people’s perceptions towards sex is changing quickly.  Today, there’s more access to knowledge than ever, so there’s no reason why this should not be reflected in Thai schools as well.

Continues at

https://www.thaienquirer.com/37450/sex-talk-why-thailand-needs-to-have-healthy-conversations-about-sex/

The conservatism of Thai society in general is very well known. What is relatively new is how Thailand is falling behind several other Asian societies. It was often assumed there was no more culturally conservative nation than Japan. Yet in recent years several wards and cities have introduced same-sex partnerships, including Tokyo's Shibuya district. These are not legal partnerships but they are extraordinary given the fixed views of the older generation of Japanese. Last December Tokyo announced that the entire city will recognise same-sex partnerships starting April. Given that something close to one third of the population live in Tokyo, this is a huge step forward.

The same was true in Taiwan. It was only 34 years ago that the island was under martial law - little more than one generation. Homosexuality was not recognised, was frowned upon and about the only place to meet up with fellow gays was Taipei's New Park a little behind the old Hilton Hotel (as portrayed in the novel and subsequent movie Crystal Boys). The developments that led to the rapid development of a thriving gay scene and the introduction of same-sex marriage are surely a formula for other equally conservative Asian countries including Thailand (although the notorious anti-sodomy laws will make this more difficult in former British colonies ike Singapore and Malaysia).

As in Thailand, in Japan and Taiwan it was the older generation who wanted to stick to traditional family values. But here there is the added complication that it is also the elite power brokers. Polls in Japan and Taiwan regularly showed it was the younger generation that increasingly believed the old cultural norms should change. I'm sure private polls in Thailand will show the same. But tradition here is too strong. Few in the younger generation dare to oppose their elders. Accordingly sex remains for most a taboo subject and, not incidentally, the number of unplanned teen pregnancies here continues to rise.

I have two observations. Firstly, is the problem regarding open discussions about sex in Thailand related to the pervading issue of prostitution and its sister- so popular among the more affluent- the "mia noi" , and the desire of many, on both sides of the equation, to maintain a degree of secrecy? 

And secondly, the Thais' embarrassments regarding intimate, revealing , difficult and sensitive interactions is not just related to sex, is it? 

I don't claim any more knowledge than any other. But having experienced Thailand over many years I'd find it hard to think that prostitution has much to do with Thais present attitude to sex. As @Londoner rightly points out, prostitution has been pervasive in the country for centuries. It's almost a part of life. Or at least it used to be. What concerns me much more now are the instances of incest that seem to have increased - or is that just because they are given more publicity? Over the years I met quite a number of young guys who had been raped by family members. I believe the same is true for girls. Is it because of the veneration for the older generation that these are kept quite - or even not mentioned by those who have been subject to rape?

As for the second point, I agree it is not just related to sex. There is something in the Thai psyche that creates an unswerving loyalty to the views of elders. And it is a good deal stronger than in other Asian cultures where there is a similar veneration for one's elders. Whatever the reason, I fear it will take more than a generation to result in much change.