reader

Midnight closing for Jomtien gay bars torpedoed

From Pattaya Mail

By Barry Kenyon

Strong rumours circulating last week that a provincial governor’s edict had softened the 11 pm closing time – to allow a full extra hour of indulgence and frivolity – were shown to be very wrong after police raids at the Jomtien Complex. Police major Kongpol said that concerned members of the public had alerted the authorities to serious breaches of the licensing laws which could well compromise the government’s health policies.

Officers visited every bar, checking paperwork and ascertaining that the safety and health executive’s certificates on display were not forgeries. Management, hosts and imbibers were reminded that 11 pm remains the closing time and that the British loophole of “drinking up time” is not a phenomenon found in the Land of Smiles.

The Jomtien Complex is a (mainly) one street venue for open-to-the-street gay bars of which about ten are currently open. A police statement after the raids stated that they had been ordered to stop service at 11 pm in accordance with national and local decrees. Bar owners said everyone takes these raids with equanimity as they are “part of the scene”.

Pleased that the Complex Bars are adopting a “flexible” policy towards closing time. Pre-Covid I stayed in hotels there and usually started my evening in one of the bars prior to taking a baht bus to visit the Boystown or Sunee gogos in a search for a bed companion. Around midnight usually with boy I would return by motorbike to finish with a nightcap taking in the vibrant atmosphere.