TotallyOz

Change of Car Ownership in Bangkok

The government office for changing car ownership is a trek for most. It is near the old airport area. The traffic is an absolute nightmare. We spent over 2 hours trying to find parking in bumper to bumper traffic. Then, only to be told to go somewhere else first. We had been to another office and filled out all the required paperwork but it seems many don't know what the full process is. After an inspection of the car, we went back to find parking and another hour when a guy on a motorcycle told my Thai friend that he could all this for us for a fee. I was tired and asked if this was legit and the BF said yes. So, we did it. We gave him the blue book, all the paperwork and the money 3,000 plus a tip 1,000 for his shop and off he went. Two hours later he returned with all the work done, a new blue book, and the BF with a car in his name. I recently bought a new Camry and wanted him to have the SUV in his name as I know it is better this way. Now, his mother thinks he hit the lottery and I'm sure she will have her hands held out for money soon. LOL

If we had gone in together, a farang and a Thai, they may have not believed that I was giving it to him and they could have made us pay more. But, with the little service, it was fast and efficient and no issues with the paperwork and no additional money.

Sounds like a total mess.  

In the UK, you just get the ownership document out, fill in the form on it and post it off to the licensing authority.  Under 10 minutes work and no additional traffic generated.

3 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

If we had gone in together, a farang and a Thai, they may have not believed that I was giving it to him and they could have made us pay more. But, with the little service, it was fast and efficient and no issues with the paperwork and no additional money.

In Thailand, sometimes you just need someone to grease the wheels.

3 hours ago, z909 said:

Sounds like a total mess.  

In the UK, you just get the ownership document out, fill in the form on it and post it off to the licensing authority.  Under 10 minutes work and no additional traffic generated.

Agreed.
Trouble is you are dealing with Asia where everyone is on the fiddle resulting in mountains of bureaucracy. Just look at banks and their paperwork...even for just renewing your card. Same with Immigration as we well know! 

2 hours ago, gerefan said:

Agreed.
Trouble is you are dealing with Asia where everyone is on the fiddle resulting in mountains of bureaucracy. Just look at banks and their paperwork...even for just renewing your card. Same with Immigration as we well know! 

Yes.   The last time I renewed my bank card, it took well over an hour in the branch, with lots of paperwork.

They actually needed a cash payment for the new card, so I queried this and got a receipt for the payment AND made sure there was a refund from the portion of the fee already deducted from my account for the previous card.    That refund was of course paid to the account.  

If they had any concept of efficiency, I would be able to order the card online in about 60 seconds and choose post or collection from branch.    Then they could fire most of the branch staff, which is exactly what's needed in a country with an alleged labour shortage.