joizy

HCMC updates?

Hi guys. I just decided I want to go to Ho Chi Minh City in December. It will be my first time in Vietnam, and after peeking around a bit, I'm very excited. Grindr looks promising, and I can't wait to eat! There doesn't seem to be any current information here on the scene, however you interpret that (your personal scene). Can anyone share any information, tips, or whatever?

I know it's a vague request, so if it helps, I'm interested in any tips about district to stay (I'm looking at an Airbnb in District 1), safety of hiring MBs from Grindr, massage venues, and anything else you consider a must-do (or must not do) while there.

20 hours ago, joizy said:

Hi guys. I just decided I want to go to Ho Chi Minh City in December. It will be my first time in Vietnam, and after peeking around a bit, I'm very excited. Grindr looks promising, and I can't wait to eat! There doesn't seem to be any current information here on the scene, however you interpret that (your personal scene). Can anyone share any information, tips, or whatever?

I know it's a vague request, so if it helps, I'm interested in any tips about district to stay (I'm looking at an Airbnb in District 1), safety of hiring MBs from Grindr, massage venues, and anything else you consider a must-do (or must not do) while there.

Excellent decision. I've been to Vietnam a few times and it's always so much fun. Since it's so your first time, you might get a bit overwhelmed with traffic.,  but the food and the guys make it totally worth it. Just follow the locals when you're crossing the street and use Grab as much as possible, since it's affordable over there.

The guys are really and especially in HCMC, pretty wild. Plenty of action on Grindr and Blued, but Hornet also has a good number of profiles.  Can't help you much with massage places and money boys as I don't do transactional sex, but I have seen quite a few mb in the apps and I assume the rate should be lower than Thailand.

Republic Lounge used to be very popular as a bar and club, but I was told it closed last year. the only other place I used to go to is Thi Bar, right by Bui Vien St. (the Kao San of Saigon). It's a bar and actually the crowd is pretty mixed, as a few straight backpackers go there, but at night there is plenty of local eyecandy. It's owned by this French guy who I think has a local bf though all my Saigon friends know him pretty deeply, if you know what I mean.

There is also a relatively new sauna called Nadam spa. I actually never been but read it on another forum where it said that the crowd was really good. So I suggested it to one of my Filipino friends visiting HCMC last month. He and his Aussie bf went there on a Sunday afternoon and said they had a blast. Probably around 80-100 people in the crowd, mostly locals and mostly twinks and in-shape young guys. It closes pretty early , I think at 10:00pm, so the best time is usually from 4-8pm, especially on a Saturday and Sunday. Another friend of mine is going to Saigon at the end of August and I will see what will be his impressions of that place but since I'm a sauna lover I already plan to visit it in October before heading to Taipei for pride or if not then in December.

Now a few words about accommodation:  guest check-in is strictly enforced in Vietnam, so no matter if your guy goes straight to your room or you go pick him up downstairs, his ID will be checked and his name written down. Some locals don't like that because they're shy or they say they get bad looks from the font-desk people, so an Airbnb is a good solution, especially if you want to have 3+ action at your place, which at least in my experience happens much more often even then in Thailand (plenty of times the guy I'm chatting with have asked if it was ok to bring over a friend of his, something almost unheard of in Thailand, where local guys frown upon when you suggest a threesome with another Thai). If you stay in an Aribnb, I would suggest getting an older place but that has been remodeled inside as those usually don't have a doorman, where newer high-rises usually have a reception and they also will ask for checking-in your guests.

Another peculiarity in Vietnam is that the front-desk people at some boutique hotels just go to sleep after a certain hour at night like 12:00 or 1:00 AM. They will just lock the door, turn off the light and sleep right next to their desk, so if you come back late at night or you're just in your room but you want to go down to pick up a guy you will need to wake him up and then he needs to register your guest, and then he goes back to sleep, so if your guy wants to leave after you're done he needs to wake up the receptionist again. Pretty awkward and uncomfortable for all parts involved. Now this doesn't happen in all independent hotels, but it happened to me both in Hanoi and Saigon during my first times in there, so after that I usually go for a big international chain if I choose to stay in an hotel in Vietnam.

Some Airbnbs have the same issue, as some of my fwbs usually have to leave before a certain hour since the doorman goes to sleep and they will be locked out if they get home later than that. So if you decide for an Airbnb, double check with the host that reception is opened 24hr.

From VN Express

Young men hit Saigon streets in skirts

Men wear conical hats, ao dai with pearl earings at Vietnam International Fashion Week on July 13, 2023. Photo by VIFW

Men wear conical hats, ao dai with pearl earings at Vietnam International Fashion Week on July 13, 2023. Photo by VIFW

Several young men from the LGBTQ+ community became the highlight of the event when they dressed in skirts, crop tops, modern ao dai and accessories like conical hats, beads and pearls. Their outfits used secondhand materials like chiffon and denim to support sustainable fashion.

"In my opinion, no matter how modern fashion gets, we still have to keep the beauty of tradition because that’s the identity of our national culture," stylist Khanh Dang said.

The Best Street Style is a chance for young people to express their freedom and personal style through the outfits. This event takes place at the same time as the main event, every morning from 9-11 a.m. The jury will choose the person in the most impressive outfit and give them a limited-edition gift set.

VIFW is taking place July 13-16 at the Military Zone 7 Gymnasium, featuring 18 shows of domestic and international designers and brands.

Continues with video

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/style/young-men-hit-saigon-streets-in-skirts-4629366.html