TotallyOz

How much gas to get from Pattaya to Bangkok?

I took a taxi yesterday to get to Bangkok to go shopping. I got several quotes and finally just got a guy off the street. He charged 1k each way and was willing to wait for us as we went shopping. To me this seemed low. He paid for tolls each way and waited for us about 5 hours or so in Bangkok. I did tip him well. I am curious for those of you that drive, about how much of his expenses are in gas? How much profit would he make if I didn't tip?

Guest lvdkeyes
How much profit would he make if I didn't tip?

Don't worry, they are going to make a decent profit or they won't take you.

I took a taxi yesterday to get to Bangkok to go shopping. I got several quotes and finally just got a guy off the street. He charged 1k each way and was willing to wait for us as we went shopping. To me this seemed low. He paid for tolls each way and waited for us about 5 hours or so in Bangkok. I did tip him well. I am curious for those of you that drive, about how much of his expenses are in gas? How much profit would he make if I didn't tip?

He would have used LPG or less likely Natural Gas (CNG) and LPG would have cost him about 170 Baht in total. CNG about 210 Baht.

He would have gladly done the journey for 1600 Baht but as long as you are both happy the price you paid is fine.

Guest HeyGay
He would have used LPG or less likely Natural Gas (CNG) and LPG would have cost him about 170 Baht in total. CNG about 210 Baht.

He would have gladly done the journey for 1600 Baht but as long as you are both happy the price you paid is fine.

It cost me 500 Baht each way when I Drive to Pattaya, which I seem to do less and less now, I'm finding much better quality Guys in Bangkok, with out all the dramas that go with it, of constant phone calls there, all times of the day and night, just thinking I'm an ATM. I seem to now only go to have dinner with my many friends there, as the standard of boys has dropped hidiously.

Guest HeyGay
Our Ford Focus gets us there AND back for about 600 baht. We use gasohol

All ok till some one rear ends you, then your get there much quicker, as your be in space, so many exploding in Thailand/ Brazil they try to suppress it though?

Perhaps I don't understand this fully. Is there a safety difference between the kinds of gas used? If so what are they?

CNG is Compressed Natural gas and whilst more expensive to fit the tanks it has no carbon emissions and lower running costs than LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas). It is safer as it has a higher ignition temp. Thailand is encouraging by subsidy to taxis to convert to CNG as CNG is a resource of which Thailand has plenty.

The other figures quoted above for 500 or 600 Baht to and from Bangkok are for cars using Gasohol which is a mixture of Ethanol and Gasoline. The ethanol is usually derived from Sugar cane or Palm Oil in Thailand. Both CNG and LPG are heavily subsidized in Thailand. Hence your taxi would have spent around 200 baht on fuel. When proper taks are fitted it is safe. If substandard tanks are fitted then you may be sitting on a potential torpedo. Thailand has a good safety record on tanks fitted to cars.