TotallyOz

Update on GoGo bars in Bangkok

Well, as Honest Abe said, "I cannot tell a lie."

That said, I'll try not to be too harsh.

Three nights in the gogo bars in Bangkok and I have yet to take anyone back to my hotel. Last night I went to EVERY gogo bar in Patpong and then ended up at Tawan. There was not one boy that peaked my interest.

XBoys has a few sexy boys but I was there early and the mamasan was a bit pushy and I declined the invitation. The other bars were pretty sad. Dream Boy had only about 20 boys. My favorite bar in 7 years is Future Boys and to say it was sad is an understatement.

Sorry, I could go on for a bit but no need to say anything other than all the boys in Bangkok must have gone home to help with family during low season. The stages are almost like a ghost town.

Guest thaiworthy

GT, you are not alone. Bangkok is like that, hit and miss. On one trip I spent one whole week there and I could not find a single lad to my liking. This was years ago, long before the current economic downturn. Finally I did finally connect with someone I was only marginally interested in and then I caught a cold. Worst trip of my entire life!

If I am alone, I would only come to Pattaya. I am never disappointed.

Guest HeyGay

Well if you had taken our GB and Myself advise you would have had some stunners we did last night, around the Grand Palace with some of my house guests, they were more than happy, so was I with my Army guy with full Uniform that's now 7 I have had lately, Yummy.

The boys of the Bars are Crap now or gone home to the farm, but saying that try the Karaoke's your get plenty there, many would not be seen dead in a gay area, but so good when you take them home. wait till high season before the Bar Boys come back.

Well, as Honest Abe said, "I cannot tell a lie."

Wasn't that George Washington? Unless, of course, you mean Honest Abe's Used Cars or something.

they were more than happy

"Is it actually possible to be more than happy? You can be happy, but how can you be more than happy. Sounds like a dangerous mental condition to me. 'We had to have poor Dan put away . . . . He was more than happy.'"

- George Carlin

Well if you had taken our GB and Myself advise you would have had some stunners we did last night, around the Grand Palace with some of my house guests, they were more than happy, so was I with my Army guy with full Uniform that's now 7 I have had lately, Yummy.

The boys of the Bars are Crap now or gone home to the farm, but saying that try the Karaoke's your get plenty there, many would not be seen dead in a gay area, but so good when you take them home. wait till high season before the Bar Boys come back.

I am sure you are right. I am not the adventuresome type when I am alone. I have done the parks before in Bangkok but with a friend or when I felt really horny. :) I rarely take anyone that is not from a bar in Thailand or a Sauna in Brazil. I just feel safer that way.

Quick Story: I love Rio and was sitting at an outdoor hooker cafe near Copacabana. I was talking with a lady friend from USA and I told her I would never ever take someone from the place here as it was not safe and anyone who do so was crazy out of their mind. I ranted and raved about how only an idiot would take someone in Rio they didn't know. Two minutes later a guy walked up that was my type to the tee. I walked over and said hi to him and immediately said, "you want to go to my hotel and stay with me?" He said yes and there started a many month long fling. My girlfriend was stunned and said to me, "What about what you just said?" I responded, "there are always exceptions to every rule." Luckily for me, he was not an ax murderer but a lovely lad who knew the discos and gay scene in Rio better than anyone I have met. He and I didn't work out as lovers for long as he was more of a slut than me. :) But, we have enjoyed Carnival together for about 5 years and are still friends to this day.

Guest thaiworthy
He and I didn't work out as lovers for long as he was more of a slut than me. :)

Do you still have his phone number?

Guest fountainhall
Are you sure that's even possible?

GB has more courage than I. Reading GT's excellent posts, I've been tempted to ask that for some time :p

Guest xiandarkthorne
...Three nights in the gogo bars in Bangkok and I have yet to take anyone back to my hotel. Last night I went to EVERY gogo bar in Patpong and then ended up at Tawan. There was not one boy that peaked my interest...

I have never had this problem, I am afraid. Thailand has alwys been like a buffet to me, regardless of which town or city I happened to grace with my presence. Thank you God for making me slutty :D

Still, having said all that, I am surprised at the dearth of gentlemen acceptable for hire. Are you just being fussy, GT, or is the situtation really that bad? Coupled with some of the other posts I have been reading at blogs and other forums, it seems to me as if the situation is spiralling towards a meltdown.

Still, having said all that, I am surprised at the dearth of gentlemen acceptable for hire. Are you just being fussy, GT, or is the situtation really that bad? Coupled with some of the other posts I have been reading at blogs and other forums, it seems to me as if the situation is spiralling towards a meltdown.

I think it is spiraling toward a meltdown.

I don't understand why the bars don't lower drink prices to get more customers in. Before their excuse was the show was expensive. Now, no fuck shows at most of them. What is the current excuse?

It is like 5 star hotels in Bangkok. I talked to a hotel manager today who said occupancy rate is 20-30 percent at all major 5 star hotels. It has gotten as low at 3 percent during the airport shutdown. My favorite hotel in Bangkok is the Intercontinental. They just did a renovation and they are about 30 percent full. What do they do? They raise the rates. Stupid IMHO. So, instead of getting me as a customer, I went to another hotel. I miss my Intercontinental but when it is 3,000 baht a night higher than what I got for a similar place, it made no sense to stay there.

Point: few customers in all the bars. Change something. Get more boys. Lower prices. Pull in larger crowds that want to the take the boys.

I don't understand why the bars don't lower drink prices to get more customers in.

I also can't figure out why the bars and hotels are doing things this way. What seems so perfectly logical and obvious to us apparently makes no sense to them. I'm trying to understand what does make sense to them.

Guest fountainhall

I have had drinks and dinner several times at the funky and relatively new Le Meridien on Suriwong. Each time, there have been no more than 2 other tables occupied. Yet I recently went at lunchtime and discovered they have a 50% reduction (if using a certain credit card - forgotten which!) on their huge and excellent buffet which thereafter comes to Bt.300++ per person - and the place was packed. The moral could not be clearer.

Guest thaiworthy
It all has its designated spot on my "I Don't Get It" list.

I would be interested in reading your complete "I Don't Get It" list. It must be a very long list by now as there are undoubtedly so many convoluted things still going on in Thailand each and every day. The list keeps growing. Andy Rooney occasionally broadcast similar snippets on "60 Minutes" and it was very amusing. GB, I sometimes think of you as the Andy Rooney of Thailand. Andy is a very charming and likable character. I seem to remember him saying "Why do they do that?" in reference to his own "I Don't Get Its."

Unfortunately, there may not be enough hard drive space on GT's servers to accommodate such a big list.

Have had one weekend 3rd till 5th july and had same experiences as GT. Good was my hotel (Siam Heritage)- they learned from economical situation and dropped prices up to 60%. I booked in germany exec. suite for 2 nights for 120 Euro and took offer for some baht to take the presidential suite ( only few squaremeter more than exec. suite ). Last time lots of joinercontrols >> this time no control even late in the night, only friendly smiling and welcome sir.

Babylon have had enough customers and was filling after 3pm very quickly - enough sex with boyfriend and some nice boys. Positive was Dicks Cafe in quality of food and drinks, negative Maxxis where we have had to complain about every drink. Have had looks in some gogo-bars but drinks still overpriced and so Dicks Cafe was every day the winner.

Guest xiandarkthorne

It is really sad to hear that the situation in BKK is spiralling toward a meltdown. It seems as if nobody in a position to do something about it, is capable of either the will or the intelligence to do something about it. kinda stupid, if you ask me, since tourism contributes so much to the national coffers and has spurred so much development.

Curiously enough, down south in Hatyai, the hotels are maintaining a steady rate of between 800-1,000 Baht for 4-star hotels and draw a lot of Malaysian, Singaporean and Indonesian patrons in spite of all the reports of bombing in "South Thailand" (I have made it clear before what I think of this horrendously one-size-fits-all term and won't go into it here).

While there are no bars of the kind you find in BKK or Pattaya, a quick search of Gay Romeo could net anyone with transient romantic encounters in mind, a number of possible hookups in the Songkhla area quite easily.

Xian

Guest gay_grampa
I don't understand why the bars don't lower drink prices to get more customers in. Before their excuse was the show was expensive. Now, no fuck shows at most of them. What is the current excuse?

Point: few customers in all the bars. Change something. Get more boys. Lower prices. Pull in larger crowds that want to the take the boys.

Here's an idea that should appeal to you ...

Berlin brothel offers discounts for cyclists