Gaybutton

It's GREAT STEAK time!

Last week there was a thread inquiring where one can go for a truly great steak. Regarding true greatness, I'm hoping that Manhattans Steak House (that's the correct spelling, by the way . . . no apostrophe) will proivide the answer to the dream.

I hope Letmetellu will forgive me for being the one to "scoop" this little item, but the long awaited Manhattans Steak House will open for business on Friday, September 15. That's tomorrow, folks, and I'm hoping to be one of the first ones in there.

This evening I dropped by to have a look at the menu. Actually, the bar is already open. I met the manager, Tom Vicario, an American. He is a very pleasant, experienced gentleman and he assures me that all the steaks are imported prime Angus beef from the USA and the steaks will be just what you would find in the finest American steak houses.

The first thing I looked for on the menu was what I miss most of all . . . prime rib. I mean real prime rib. And, to my delight, they have it, with different cut sizes available.

The menu looks fantastic. The atmosphere of the restaurant is just perfect. The prices are expensive by Thai standards, but are on par with prices you would find in better steak houses in the USA. Given that all of their beef is imported from the USA, I'm surprised at how reasonable their prices really are. Depending on what type of steak you want, and the size you want, the prices range from about 850 baht up to 1800 baht. Not bad at all.

They will also be open for lunch.

I have been looking forward to their opening for months. I can't wait to try it. Usually when a new restaurant opens, I wait about a month before going, to give them time to work out problems and kinks, but based on what I saw and based on their offerings, I don't think there are going to be any kinks.

The location is on toip of the hill, on the way to Jomtien Beach. The telephone number is 06-103-4497. They do have a web site, http://www.manhattans-pattaya.com , but the web site is currently "under construction."

Ditto!

I dropped by this afternnon. I said "when are you opening?" and the lady said "We are open now". However inside they were busily cleaning and putting finishing touches to the fish tanks.

The place looks very fine. Glass doors with massive crystal handles You enter to a bar with a stunning one piece carpet in gold.orange with a single circular design. Plush lavender chairs and glass tables. The bar is very smart and professional looking. Two huge seawater fish tanks are set in the wall to the restaurant.

The restaurant is similarly elegant and well dressed with white napery, large crystal glasses and black high backed leather chairs.

The menu is much as one would expect with US and Australian beef steaks the main feature 500 baht and up up up.There are some very interesting appetisers in the 200 - 300 baht range and a small range of non beef and vegetarian main courses.

It augurs well and I have booked for Saturday night.

Another restaurant review not mentioning how the food tastes?? Who said it was a restaurant review?

Another restaurant review not mentioning how the food tastes?? Who said it was a restaurant review?

Well if a reviewer can praise the atmosphere of a restaurant that isn't open yet..........

Enjoy your meals gentlemen, I could feel your glands salivating from here. For the best Angus beef, shouldn't the cattle be grazing on sumptious Scottish grass?

Well if a reviewer can praise the atmosphere of a restaurant that isn't open yet..........

Enjoy your meals gentlemen, I could feel your glands salivating from here. For the best Angus beef, shouldn't the cattle be grazing on sumptious Scottish grass?

What's wrong with praising the atmosphere of a restaurant that isn't open yet? At different times, both TeePee and I were in the restaurant and saw the atmosphere for ourselves. Besides, TeePee is professionally experienced in the field and his review, so far, is certainly good enough for me.

I plan to have my first actual experience at about noon on Friday, for lunch. We originally wanted to have dinner there, but circumstances will not permit that on Friday. So, I'll let you know what I throught of the lunch and I'm sure TeePee will let you know his opinion Saturday evening.

As far as the best Angus beef, I have never experienced beef that came from cattle that grazed on sumptious (sic) Scottish grass. If that's the best beef, then I'm all for it. I'd say let it be Kobe beef, if I could afford it.

Guest lvdkeyes

I have to add my 2 cents worth over Scottish grass fed, Kobe and US corn fed beef. I have eaten all three, as well as US California grass fed beef and Austrailian beef. For my money US Corn fed beef is superior in flavor. I think Kobe beef is highly over-rated considering the price. I guess the people who massage those cattle must be paid well.

I will try Manhattans for sure. I also see there is another new steakhouse opened in Pattaya in the same building as Gian's Italian restaurant. I just spotted it while on the baht bus. Has anyone tried it?

Guest LoeplohandNalac

We are good Budist and we do not eat steak. So we cannot go to Manhattan Steak house or do you think they serve also vegitarian steaks?

Nowadays many Budist people eating Beef but we are still not.

We are good Budist and we do not eat steak. So we cannot go to Manhattan Steak house or do you think they serve also vegitarian steaks?

Nowadays many Budist people eating Beef but we are still not.

Vegetarian steak? I don't think so. And where are you getting the idea that Buddhists don't eat steak? That's almost as nonsensical as continually trying to pass yourself off as two people.

Guest LoeplohandNalac

Really we didn't know that. We always thought we were better Buddhists then others because of the fact that we don't eat animals who can work for us. We thought that we were better Buddhist because of Us don't drinking( sometimes a glass of Merlot however) We thought also that we were better Buddhist because we do not kill any animals.

In this case we shall listen to you and will start eating beef, So Manhattan here we come.

By the way.,

double the pleasure double the fun posting as two instead of One.

g'd maid

If you are buying steak in Pattaya then I find the best at Yorkies on Jomtien Beach Road way along. He has Charolais beef which seems mature, well hung and a nice degree of fat (sounds like me?) I go for the Sirloin and it's very delicious even if the butchers trim needs to be improved a bit. It costs 750 abht a kilo.

Kobe beef - well the Australian version is available at Emporium and Siam Paragon. It sells at 1100 baht for 100 grams thats a small 250 gram steak for 2750 grams.

Foodmart and Foodland seem to have US and/or Oz beef regularly available plus occasionally some Argentine. All seem pretty good.

I know that everyone loves a slab of prime beef with a botlle of claret or one of the many great wines available at reasonable prices worldwide - except Thailand. Logic tells me that cooking a steak is hardly the test of a good chef but my tummy tells me when I'm happy.

I leave for Manhattans in 15 minutes and I'm quite peckish.

I leave for Manhattans in 15 minutes and I'm quite peckish.

With a beak like yours Tee Pee, I'm not surprised your quite peckish.............

We will look forward to your expert report on the Atmosphere, Menu, Price and what you and your guests ate, Including the wine list.

I went to a Christmas Diner Party here some years ago, the Host was a stickler for making sure everything went with out a hitch, so he bought the most expensive joint of beef, for his well healed and getting drunk fast on his best wine Guests.

The only part he left to who he thought was a guy who knew what he was doing as far as cooking this Golden Offering well, If I said it fell off the bone it would not be an understatement, but this old trouper of a host, just smiled through the fact that the cook had got his timing wrong for such a handsome feast, and you could say it was over cooked, but thankfully not burnt, even so when we smothered it in his juicy gravy, with all the fine wine every one consumed it was a big hit.

So it just shows you even though you go to the trouble of buying the best that money can bye, if you don't take note of the fine details i.e cooking times the whole meal can go up in flames. :blush:

Guest letmetellu

I sent my spy to Manhattans tonight, as i had a previous engagement he told me everything was out of this world, he had the rump steak, which came as T Bone!!!!

But the staff are a long way off being trained, so its a shame when all the other details are taken into consideration.

I hope they hurry with the training before some of the other Pattaya Glittery get annoyed and go next door to Mata Hari., because you could not get better then this guy for who who in Pattaya.

You cant beat Luxor for trained staff, right from the first day, but I hear the Manhattans food was to die for, I hope not as ill be going shortly.

We will have to wait for our expert 5 star entertainer DameTee Pee then we will get the full low down.

Guest LoeplohandNalac

I sent my spy to Manhattans tonight, as i had a previous engagement he told me everything was out of this world, he had the rump steak, which came as T Bone!!!!

But the staff are a long way off being trained, so its a shame when all the other details are taken into consideration.

I hope they hurry with the training before some of the other Pattaya Glittery get annoyed and go next door to Mata Hari., because you could not get better then this guy for who who in Pattaya.

You cant beat Luxor for trained staff, right from the first day, but I hear the food was to die for I hope not as ill be going shortly.

We will have to wait for out expert 5 star entertainer Tee Pee then we will get the full low down.

Guest letmetellu

Are we missing something LoeplohandNalac is there a reason for repeating my post above, or did you just love it so much you thought it should get a second airing?????

Guest LoeplohandNalac

Right at this moment we find Lux'or the best place in town.

The boys are beautiful and know how to serve and Helmut ( the Boss) is adorable

We are sure that Manhattans steak house is going to be very successful and indeed the place looks wonderful.

Guest letmetellu

The boys are beautiful and know how to serve and Helmut ( the Boss) is adorable

Your right boys but the food though good a bit samey, no way you could call it fine dining.

The food & the ambiance is amazing in Manhattans, knowing the boss Tom well as I do, he will not rest till he gets it right, its not so easy to train Thais as it is American staff he is use to in his other steak houses.

MANHATTANS

Saturday 16th September 2006

My friend Mrs Blue was suddenly incapacitated with a bad back. Happily another good friend Mr.Raspberry was free and we drove to Manhattans full of expectation. We drove in and the security guy indicated where to park and then ask if we wanted Mata Hari or Manhattans - they are next door. There were a half dozen young guys around a desk outside Manhattans and it seems that they were valet parking attendants. A big sign would be good especially if there are no spaces in the forecourt.

As we approached the doors they swung open and two charming ladies greeted and seated us. A cocktail list was presented 220 baht + a time. It seemed appropriate to order Manhattans so we did (Bourbon, red vermouth, and Angostura bitters) on the rocks. It was nice but no slice of orange) and the Maraschino cherry with stem lurked in the bottom of the glass. Happily some canap

We are now getting spoilt with rather good rather expensive (for Thailand) restaurants with Mata Hari, Manhattans and Brunos all in a row.

2 Manhattan Cocktails

1 Chicken liver Pate

1 Caesar Salad

1 T-bone Australian steak + Mash

1 US Queen cut of Roast Rib

2 Coffee

1 Double Baileys

Including Service Charge 10% THB 6.440

Thank you for the excellent review. I am planning on trying this place early week. Your review helps to keep the excitement alive. Thanks.

As someone who does not often enjoy these expensive meals, I was a little surprised at the final bill. I guess I'll have to take the plunge and try it anyway. :) Thank you for the great post.

"Including Service Charge 10% THB 6.440"

OUCH! Correct me if I am wrong...6440/37 = US$174

Think I will pass. Even at a fine house here in Las Vegas we don't pay that much!

New York Steak House at New York prices?

I have to apologize as I missed of the bottle of Chilean Merlot reserve 1430 baht and two Mineral water.

I have adjusted my original post

Guest LoeplohandNalac

New York Steak House at New York prices?

I have to apologize as I missed of the bottle of Chilean Merlot reserve 1430 baht and two Mineral water.

I have adjusted my original post

Can you eat steak for 2 in a New York steakhouse for 174 dollars ?

In Europe you don't get a pizza for it nowadays.

However because we are used to live in a not expensive environment prices from restaurants like Manhattan sounds expensive to us.

We never go to Bruno's or other expensive restaurants. We like to feel relaxed we like to drink the Merlot we brought from home and do not like to be overcharged for corkage. Last week we were planning to go to eat in Mantra ( the number one trendy place in Thailand) and they told us they were going to charge 1000 baht plus plus to open the wine.

We decided to move on and went to Steak Bao at beach road. They accommodated our wishes to open the bottle of wine,brought even a wine cooler and nice crystal glasses and yes there was no charge for this. ( yes we drink our reds cooler then the Thai room temperature)

It used to be( and still is in many places) normal (Thailand) to bring your own drinks.

We are still used to have dinners in Thailand for not such a high prices. That's why we do not go to those very expensive restaurants.

But we like to tell you a secret don't tell nobody else please.

In the Oriental hotel..Yes one of the most luxurious places in the world at there main restaurant at the top floor from the old wing is a restaurant which is called the Normandy Grill.

You are seated in red plush chairs in front of a 40 meter long window overlooking the Chao Phraya river. In the evening it is very expensive but for lunch they have a special lunch menu.

Its only 950 baht and its a four course lunch and its even incl.coffee.

Well if you ever had lunch is this place then everything is to expensive and every where the service is not good. This place is for us the number one lunch location in the world.

and if you make a reservation please tell them that L and N are you friends,then you get the best window seats in the house.

Bonapetit.

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hotel/510000236.asp

Le Normandie has a wonderful reputation for serious gourmet food and lunch sounds a bargain. They did advertise charging only 350 baht a bottle for lunchtimes once.

Some are off-put by their requirement for jacket and tie for dinner. Even at lunchtimes the dress code is hardly casual.

For Lunch: Smart casual

(shorts, sleeveless shirts,

slippers, sandals or sports shoes

are not allowed)